Backup Proposal, Please Leave Feedback

Daily or Monthly Backups

• Speed the servers up, switch to monthly full backups and daily mysql.

Votes: 201 91.8%
  • Keep it the way it is, I like daily backups of all my files.

Votes: 18 8.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dudecat

Reaction score
Speeding up the servers and providing mysql database backups daily is a great option.

mavr1c

Reaction score
I believe it would be a better idea to run server-wide backups once every week, instead of every day or month.

While every user would be irresponsible not to have their own backups, weekly backups on the server side makes the most sense to me. Not sure who figured going from daily to montly has any logic but it is too huge a leap. If I lost my data I could be almost two months out of date with monthly serverside backups and that today would be almost like having no backups in most instances.

IMHO

boris333

Reaction score
Love the compromise idea. I think that would strike up a good balance for everyone, while still reminding people that there is no better saving grace than maintaining their own frequent backups as well as the service provider backups

gman11234

Reaction score
I think this is a wonderful idea. I'm sure the majority will find it acceptable. :)

I second that motion. In this day and age where things can get F'ed up in a hurry, it's always good to know that your site is backed up and ready to roll. :)

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

gman11234

Reaction score
Yeah, it's surprising me too!

I'm confused. I voted for less backups?

The more back up's you do the more accurate and up to date they are. You wouldn't want to use a 3 month old forum backup for your current forum because you'll lose all of those posts between then and now. It's just good practice and proper webmaster etiquette.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The more back up's you do the more accurate and up to date they are. You wouldn't want to use a 3 month old forum backup for your current forum because you'll lose all of those posts between then and now. It's just good practice and proper webmaster etiquette.

So you're happy for the daily mysql?

felabria

Reaction score
The most important for my site is my forums... and i can easily back it up to my own pc so... I like to SPEEDED UP SERVERS!

Last edited:

Stormscape

Reaction score
I agree that switching to weekly would be good enough. Schedule it to take place during lowest (relative term) traffic period and few people would notice a weekly backup even take place.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Can any 1 tell is X10hosting support FFMPEG,YES then How to use FFMPEG for convert any video to FLV

Positive that it does not. That'd bring the servers to a halt if people tried to create FLVs on the server. If you have a fast enough CPU you can install FFMPEG on your PC to create the FLVs and then upload them to your site. Besides in order to use it you need command line access, which is locked out to hosting users already.

gwaher

Reaction score
I think this is a wonderful idea. I'm sure the majority will find it acceptable

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
That is a great idea, only information servers need backup that often. However, to cushion the change, maybe a two week backup may be a bit better.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
This goes hand in hand with our increasing the diskspace for users. The reason we would do monthly instead of weekly\bi weekly is the cost of the backups to store. There are TBs of data and each 'restore point' we make even though incremental uses up a few hundred gigs. By doing it monthly we would decrease our costs of data retention and thus be able to increase diskspace for users.

Danielx386

Reaction score
Can someone tell me, how much faster would the server be? Have any test been done?

Status
Not open for further replies.