best free html editor

csdforum

Reaction score
can anyone suggest a good replacement for editplus in windows / linux ? opensource is a plus. And light too :)

I know am asking a little too much. stll. ;)

P.S : What do I need to do to get my account unsuspended.

sprnews4u

Reaction score
NVU is open souce and free!!! - Very Very good my whole website I made using it!! - Not very good with proxy servers!

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,

Here's the applications I use on my Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) PC:
Image editor: GIMP
CSS/XHTML editor: gedit (a bit like Notepad for Windows but with code highlighting, and for Linux)
FTP: FileZilla

I stopped using WYSIWYG editors when I was 12 because they usually produce disgraceful code and I always ended up fixing the markup. I just figured I should write my own code from scratch, that way I'd learn more (and faster) and I'd produce better sites. I'm glad I did it, otherwise I's probably never have bothered with PHP and never needed to move hosts, therefore never have found x10Hosting :p

I'd strongly recommend everybody to view the source of their web pages once in a while, once you learn how everything is sorted into tags it gets quite simple. And there's always W3 Schools to help you pick up the basics.

-Luke.

Sohail

Reaction score
Dreamweaver, it's the most professional editor available with WYSIWYG and a code editor in one. You can cycle through the modes or even use both by clicking code and HTML.

Cliff Dude

Reaction score
Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 express edition.

Whew! Long title. Anyways it's completely free from MS, which is unbelievable.
(MS + Free software = ....?)

[Link]

Chris77

Reaction score
Izispot is based on WYSIWYG and it's a good program in graphics (see my website on x10 : JManga (sorry, but my website is French))

Click HERE to go to Izispot English Homepage

EDIT : Sorry, but the Izispot's english website is not finish ^^
Click THIS LINK to download Izispot

Last edited:

Xemnas

Reaction score
I've seen a few recommendations for VWD Express. It actually isn't bad, but I should point out that any page you create with it is automatically converted to UTF, which is a problem if you're working with PHP cookies, since even if you use the ob_start() and ob_end_flush() functions, the cookies won't work since the interpreter parses the Unicode appended to the very start of the file. Also, it's more oriented around ASP.NET, and doesn't provide syntax highlighting for most languages (because Microsoft wants your custom -_-).

g-force

Reaction score
i really like webdwarf for html, just search webdwarf on google, its a visual editor, you can move anything where ever you want, insert code, and it will produce an index.html for you :)

mattura

Reaction score
PHP Editor
Yes I know what it's called, but it has great PHP highlighting/code hints, and highlights HTML as well. It has tabs and a file browser, a preview window (though I still use refresh in FF & IE), and has buttons/shortcut keys for inserting the useful HTML elements.
If you code in a mixture of php and html/css/js, this is a great editor.

Only problem is, I can't find where I downloaded it from - it might be at:
http://www.phpeditor.kit.net/
but that site is not in english...so I don't know!

Last edited:

mrmason

Reaction score
I honestly think you are much better off taking the risk and downloading a cracked version of Dreamweaver or the crack/serial for your trial version.

anirtak143

Reaction score
try quanta plus.. its open source, but runs only on linux and mac..
havnt tried it myself yet. i need to install a linux distro first..