Can money buy true happiness?

RossSchVle

Banned
Reaction score
It depends what you mean by happiness, if you want like short term happiness then get injured and enjoy the morphine at the hospital, thats free!!

But if you want true happiness then no money cannot buy happiness.

--Please note I am not telling anyone to deliberately injure themselves. ;)

omoney

Reaction score
No but money can rent happiness. Haha i saw it on a television show or something :)

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
depends. Look at a poor family in africa. They may be very sad because they can't afford food and their childrens need to work. Give them money then they will become happier, until they have no money left. If you learn them how to save and don't put money on unecesary things, they maybe will be happy the rest of their life

naerey

Reaction score
Money can't BUY happiness.
But it can help you reach it.

Personally I'd spend lots of money on traveling to friends, which are far from me. And I wouldn't have to worry about finding a job ¬.¬ ^^

cwalker5

Reaction score
Nothing can buy happiness, EVER. Happiness comes in small forms every day, you may not always realize they are there, but they are. Happiness is the result of performing random acts of kindness, being understanding with others and providing over all good 'karma' for all. That is the way to be happy. IF only everyone could realize that its not about what everyone thinks about everyone else or that if someone has something better than someone else, that they should be jealous. Sure, strive to be better, but don't do it to one up someone, that will only leave you sad, lonely, and a shadow of you're former self.

Theres my thoughts... anyone else?

Reaction score
Can money buy true happiness?

No.

It can bring happiness but it won't bring TRUE happiness. Everybody is different though and what they think is "true happiness" could not even come close to what others believe it is.

True happiness is being with the one you love - money or not. It's always nice having money to spend - I don't have to pay any bills yet so I've got ~£200 a month to spend. I'm not truely happy at the moment.

When you look at it from another angle though from those who come from third world countries, the money, food, clothes, water they recieve they are both grateful AND happy. To us it might not mean that much but when they recieve happy doesn't even describe their mood.

dickey

Reaction score
I for one came from a third world country, now I reside in a first world country. to tell you the truth I came to where I am now in pursuit of money, but in the end when I had money I cannot even relieve the stress that I feel. but to answer the question... Money can make us happy...

Really! money can make us truly happy. Try giving money to some friend in need anonymously, then visit him and when he starts talking about that great someone you will feel that happiness. Well that's how to buy happiness

compwhizii

Banned
Reaction score
Yes it can! If you do things for people that aren't lucky as you, then that will make them happy, which would make me happy.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
depends. Look at a poor family in africa. They may be very sad because they can't afford food and their childrens need to work. Give them money then they will become happier, until they have no money left. If you learn them how to save and don't put money on unecesary things, they maybe will be happy the rest of their life

That is a perfect example to use.

Money can buy happiness for a number of people, for that it would take away the stress a person may gave, it may take away a disease a person may have that is making a person very unhappy. It can take away the lack of food people have that once they do get it, they do become happier.

If a person had cancer, or AIDS some of the worst diseases or abnormalities that have no immediate cure, that people would be, depressed and stressed out for their family, that person would know that they only have a couple of days or weeks or months before they never see their loved ones. Now lets say there is a cure for these, that just came out, the demand would be VERY VERY HIGH...meaning it will cost ALOT, .....get the money, pay for the cure....and BAM the person is happy.

If you lack in health money can help you become happier for that money always cures not all but many health related problems, well it only helps the symptoms.

Now lets say a person does not have a health related problem but a relationship problem.

Did you know that many people in the world are left without a wife or husband for that they have not found that person or because they (I am sorry to say this) don't have any physical attributes that would make another person attracted to them?

Many people in the world no matter their location, marry for money. If a person has never had a friend let alone a wife or family to care for they in my opinion can be very unhappy. Pull at your wallet, flash some money in that lady's face and have the night of your life....or flash that money in their face make them say yes to a date in a place you would have otherwise never been able to afford and ....(develop a relationship) and get married be happy, (you might only be with that person for your money) but who cares do what you can and live life HAPPILY.

Materialistic possessions play a role in a persons happiness, a poor old man living in the alleyway in NYC would definitely be happy if I rolled in there and gave him bags of money. Who wouldn't?

Hope this helps in anyway to show that money can buy happiness for MANY people. :drool:

scottnj

Reaction score
The answer to that can be yes and no.

Of course it should be no, because money can't but true, unconditional love.

However, if you value material things as well, such as me wanting to own my own airplane, then money can but happiness.

It all depends on who you are, how you view things, and if you are anti-social or not.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
To answer this question, you first must define true happiness. Of course, if true happiness is a million dollars, and a $5000 computer, then YES, money can buy true happiness. But if true happiness is a Family, then NO, money cannot buy true happiness.

So, I pose this question for whoever wants: What is true happiness.
Once you know the answer to this question, whether or not money can buy it is a no-brainer.

So, my question to be answered is: What is true happiness?

MooYG

Reaction score
I like these types of questions.
I would have to say that money CAN buy HAPPINESS but not TRUE happiness.
Money is temporary (most of you should know ^_^) is it can also lead to bad things happening (Theft, Gambling).
I find when I buy something that I want, Its alway is exciting to open and use for the first week, after that it sometime feels like a chore or something less interesting. Every interest you have, you must have moderate contact (if that makes any sense).

Final Verdict: Money CANNOT buy TRUE HAPPINESS.

Sorry for the caps.. just emphasizing the main words >.<
Edit:
Just a quick mentioning, I would definitely agree with this.
Its interesting how people think ^^

The answer to that can be yes and no.

Of course it should be no, because money can't but true, unconditional love.

However, if you value material things as well, such as me wanting to own my own airplane, then money can but happiness.

It all depends on who you are, how you view things, and if you are anti-social or not.

To answer this question, you first must define true happiness. Of course, if true happiness is a million dollars, and a $5000 computer, then YES, money can buy true happiness. But if true happiness is a Family, then NO, money cannot buy true happiness.

So, I pose this question for whoever wants: What is true happiness.
Once you know the answer to this question, whether or not money can buy it is a no-brainer.

So, my question to be answered is: What is true happiness?

Last edited:

tridge

Reaction score
I would say that money could buy me true happiness. The things I love most in life are hookers, drugs and computers....

WyrGecko

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the people who say that it depends on the individual. There's little doubt that too little money can make people unhappy, but being able to buy everything and anything that you want would almost seem depressing.

I more or less agree that posessions are superficial and that it can bring temporary happiness, but setting up goals to buy something could bring people some degree of happiness as well and give people a sense of achievement.

One way that it might make people happy is that it gives some people an ego boost, I suppose.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
you two still seem to miss MooYG's point. Money can buy happiness for everyone. That is almost undisputable for everyone I think, but that happiness is temporary, as MooYG also pointed out.
The question in this thread is: can money buy TRUE happiness.
We all have our own idea of what happiness is. And it differs for all of us. But what is TRUE happiness. I think that for all of us, it is about the same.
But no one has yet answered my question: What is TRUE happiness.

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
The Real Answer is NO

Money can not buy you real happiness, maybe happiness on the outside, but in the inside, money has no value

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Bravo Shadowmaster,
You've got it. I agree money definately cannot buy true happiness!

But for the third time, could someone please answer my question: WHAT IS TRUE HAPPINESS?!!

MuRRe

Reaction score
Myself, I don't believe that money can buy TRUE happiness.
My believe is that there is ONE thing that can make you happy, and it's yourself.

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
But for the third time, could someone please answer my question: WHAT IS TRUE HAPPINESS?!!

Pure Happiness... as me being a Buddhist...

Its to have a positive outlook on life, totally overcome your urges, and becoming peace with one self.