cant upload an avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishkee4

Reaction score
When i try i get the following error ??

The following error occurred:
The image could not be processed by the server. Please try another or contact the site owner.

pathoft2

Reaction score
The site won't let me upload an avatar. Been trying for days now..

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Moved to Feedback & Suggestions. Threads merged.

I can replicate this issue too. RSS also appears to no longer be working.

pathoft2

Reaction score
Seems he was verifying that it is indeed a situation. I guess nobody has a fix for this yet?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
It's not really an urgent issue.

ilindust

Reaction score
I know this issue isn't "urgent" and isn't impairing the use of your services, but can you guys fix it? I mean it's sort of boring to have a gray default avatar and I would like to put in a photo that identifies me as me.

pathoft2

Reaction score
I know this issue isn't "urgent" and isn't impairing the use of your services, but can you guys fix it? I mean it's sort of boring to have a gray default avatar and I would like to put in a photo that identifies me as me.

My thoughts exactly.

Saying "It's not really an urgent issue" strikes me as incredibly lazy. Yeah, it's clearly not an urgent issue, but is that reason enough to do nothing about it? If something isn't functioning on the forum, it should be looked at and attempted to fix immediately - simply on the principle that something isn't functioning properly.

On every website I've ever operated, when an issue arises, whether urgent or not, I ALWAYS look in to it and attempt to fix it immediately. To say "it's not an urgent issue" and sit on it for a while makes you look lazy.

What if a customer comes to you with an issue you feel is quite minor, and you say "This isn't urgent, I'll look in to it when I'm not feeling lazy." - you're not making a very good impression at all.

Please don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to be rude or scolding or anything, I am just voicing my opinion than anytime an issue arises it should be looked in to immediately! This is good form, shows people that you care about your website and their experience on it!

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
It's /not/ an urgent issue--so why does it matter if it's fixed right away? Is it impacting the use of the forum in any way except cosmetically? No.

I did look into it--it's broken.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.

Saying "It's not really an urgent issue" strikes me as incredibly lazy. Yeah, it's clearly not an urgent issue, but is that reason enough to do nothing about it? If something isn't functioning on the forum, it should be looked at and attempted to fix immediately - simply on the principle that something isn't functioning properly.

On every website I've ever operated, when an issue arises, whether urgent or not, I ALWAYS look in to it and attempt to fix it immediately. To say "it's not an urgent issue" and sit on it for a while makes you look lazy.

What if a customer comes to you with an issue you feel is quite minor, and you say "This isn't urgent, I'll look in to it when I'm not feeling lazy." - you're not making a very good impression at all.

Please don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to be rude or scolding or anything, I am just voicing my opinion than anytime an issue arises it should be looked in to immediately! This is good form, shows people that you care about your website and their experience on it!
Sir,

With all due respect, you have clearly not yet experienced the need to prioritise your time. ALWAYS looking in to EVERY issue, no matter the impact, is an incredibly inefficient use of your time, and I would like to put forward that it is also the stupid way. That is not to say that you are stupid, but only that the methodology put forward, if followed, is stupid.

I have managed high profile projects worth many millions of pounds, and am currently managing a number of smaller projects with a combined value in the millions, and most definitely do NOT look in to attending to every issue and query immediately. It's called prioritising and is an essential element of managing projects, and even life.

Your response also seems to indicate you believe that those working for x10Hosting have nothing better to do than attend to what is clearly a low priority issue. This is incorrect.

And whilst on the topic of prioritising: whilst I could expand on this further, I am off to a barbecue.

fish4um6

Reaction score
First off i would like to make it clear that i have no Affiliation with X10 hosting at all other than using a free hosting service that is better than any other FREE host out there, and i have tried them all.

However, i would be glad to offer my help wherever i can.

They offer more and better of everything, especially the web space and bandwidth, unless youre trying to do things you shouldnt be doing with a site. They also offer a "Real" CPanel instead of some jerkwad homemade thing that maybe you can get to do what you want. So that having been said i think its time for a reality check here.

#1 You will notice that i also have a boring grey avatar over there, So What, who am i trying to impress here??

#2 My site runs pretty much problem free, mainly because i stay away from troublesome software or code that causes problems, but i can see that when people using this service have real problems the Staff ( Which do this out of the goodness of their heart) Are on it, usually immediately.

#3 No my mail function dont work either, but who cares, if i want a mail service that works i go to Gmail etc. Not X10.

Calling the staff here lazy, etc. is one sure way to NOT get your issues addressed, especially trivial unimportant things like avatars or mail service. If you want a service that has all those features that works almost always, Paid hosting is not hard to find, just whip out that credit card and be signed up immediately, and "hope" you get the kind of support that you get here for FREE.

Sorry for the rant but, cmon people, give these volunteer staff people the respect they deserve for taking the time to try to keep your sites working at all. And try thanking X10 for providing such a great service, for FREE to anyone that wants it.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I wanted to follow up on this. We do take issues with any part of our service seriously, and we don't mean to belittle any issues just because they're not "pressing" matters.

We've investigated this a bit more, and we've come to find that in order to fix the uploading issue here, we will need to recompile PHP on this server.

As we will want to minimize downtime on the forums here, we will be running this fix during the next scheduled maintenance window, which I will be scheduling soon.

Thank you to everyone for bringing this to our attention. We always welcome feedback and reports of issues such as this. We cannot always fix everything right away, but we do appreciate being notified of these problems.

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.