Votes: 190 83.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I figure I'll give you guys a choice.

We have 4,000+ accounts, by estimate about 80% of those are unused. Anything we do takes an extremely long time because of the amount of accounts on the server. It also makes the server extremely unstable -- at this rate it will be another week or even two before I can even say the server will be stable.

So that leaves the choices...

1.) Everyone backs up their stuff and I set a date to WIPE the server. It will come back up fresh and we can restore\recreate accounts from there.

2.) We keep going on, restoring accounts and cleaning up the server when we have free time.

3.) Everyone who wants to keep their accounts makes a ticket and we back their account up and do the wipe, restoring all the accounts that made a ticket when it comes back up.

Either option works for me, an OS Restore is just $25 and if we set it for say Thursday we could have everyone who has backups or posts running by Saturday. Downfall is if anyone is on vacation and so forth... they will lose their account.

I'm opening this up as a poll, which ever option gets the most votes I will do.

::EDIT::

To start this off I've opened up a section for people to request their account to be backed up. So far it looks like it's going to be option 3 so I'm going to get an early start on the backups just incase it comes out like that.

Go to http://www.x10hosting.com/helpdesk Under department pick "Backup\Restore" YOU MUST PICK THIS ONE!!!

Post a ticket with your username and subdomain.

-Corey

Last edited:

Fire Wolf

Reaction score
I dont think 1 wouldnt be viable, would be too confusing and time consuming. 2 is the worst, too much downtime. I say three, it seems the best option, as it'll give everyone a fresh start and no more worries.

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
i agree with firewolf, option number 3 would be the best bet in my opinion
but i am also fine with option number 1

(by the way, wouldnt it be easier to calculate results if you set a poll up rather than letting people post their option in this thread?)

[edit]

woops nevermind the poll just appeared :D

Last edited:

Starskey

Reaction score
Yes, but you guys should plan on making a full system backup of everyone's account. It's Thanksgiving time in the United States and lots of people are problably out on Holiday and won't be back until after you whipe everything out. So when they come back if there are any problems you'll be able to pull up their account information and restore it for them with no problem, and they won't be out whatever information they had.

But I voted for option 3 as well.

emudsx10

Reaction score
I think option 3 is the best. I got my ticket days ago and my asite was restored, but not completely, because cpanel and 99% percent of the site dont work.

Mr. Pig

Reaction score
Option 3 is the best. Let us know when we should create our ticket. :roflwerd:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
The only problem is it would take a very long, long time to backup 4,000 accounts. I mean we can backup random accounts in between the people who post tickets for it but besides that I'm not sure we could back all of them up.

-Corey

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify something, we do have over 1,000 backups already from when we moved. If your account hasn't been restored yet and we have the backup and we end up wiping we will use the backup we have. Don't think because your account hasn't been restored yet that you will lose it. If we have the backup we'll carry it over.

-Corey

Akkarin

Reaction score
I vote 1, seems to be the quickest and easiest option. That way if sometihng goes wrong you can't blame anyone but yourself for not backing up. But 3 is also a good option since many people may be away.

komodolinux

Reaction score
well as long as i get an account at the same hosting level as before i dont mind which option.

i have my files on my pc still anyhow so would just take a week to upload again.

would a ticket from the restore process already in place count as a ticket for if you wipe and rebuild?

at the last update on my support ticket my account had apparently been terminated or lost as nobody could find it in the backups. if so it would need recreating anyhow.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I found your backup. Make a new ticket in the backup category.

-Corey

Dub_Dude

Reaction score
Option 3 would be the best option, every one should keep a backup of all their files on their computer so anyone who loses out cuz of vacation would be able to make their account again and restore everything pretty quickly anyway, thats assuming sign ups come back straight after.

ƒorte

Reaction score
Well, it makes no difference to me, so long as it takes less time to be able to sign up for cPanel hosting...

I guess Option 3 sounds good for most of you, so that's what I will pick.

Shoelace

Reaction score
I voted for number 3. The only thing is, what is a ticket, and/or where do you post it? Anyways, I guess you could do number 1, I would just have to back everything up, however, my site is down at this moment, so I can't back it up (Maybe it will be up in a little while, but I am speaking for right this moment).

WoMBaT

Reaction score
I chose opinion 3 for the people that do want to back up their sites, I just wont put on a ticket coz I have everything backedup already.

nycdlmusckat

Reaction score
Well, my site (and everything else) has been down for weeks now for reasons that may not be quite as clear, so really unless there's a backup of my files on the server somewhere already, I can't backup anything on my own. As with virtually everyone else, I side with option 3.

Well done Corey and team!

Last edited:

trev

Prime Account
Reaction score
Im guessing option 2 is the best option but what about people who use there accounts but do not visit this website. Could you not send an email to everyone using there cpanel email address. Good luck with the servers corey, must be hard work.

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
People *should* visit this site regularly, and it is their fault if they do not. I say plan 3, just because it is the most reasonable and won't take very long.

I also think we/us (The Staff)/you (Corey) should email everyone who have a email address in cpanel telling them to come to this thread and read it. Also I have another idea. Maybe the last few hours (6-8) before the wipe is done, suspend every account on the server, but change the suspended page and state what is going on. I think doing that would give anyone the chance that doesn't visit the forum to get their account backed up.

Just my ideas ;),
-NedreN

komodolinux

Reaction score
corey,

ticket is done as per your request here. though didnt you say you were restoring already?

just clarifying as my site is yet to come up on my pc.

trev

Prime Account
Reaction score
NedreN said:
People *should* visit this site regularly, and it is their fault if they do not. I say plan 3, just because it is the most reasonable and won't take very long.

I also think we/us (The Staff)/you (Corey) should email everyone who have a email address in cpanel telling them to come to this thread and read it. Also I have another idea. Maybe the last few hours (6-8) before the wipe is done, suspend every account on the server, but change the suspended page and state what is going on. I think doing that would give anyone the chance that doesn't visit the forum to get their account backed up.

Just my ideas ;),
-NedreN

Thats a good idea if the suspend account page sent them here it would be easyer than the email!

Status
Not open for further replies.