Chrome launched by Google

pants

Reaction score
Do we really need another browser, with so many already on the market?

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
This is not an off topic forum.

-Luke.

* Moved to Crossfire *

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
DSL Reports had an article on this as well this morning. I'll be checking out this browser sometime soon to see how it holds up against Firefox. The sandbox mode on tabs sure sounds interesting since I have crashed out Firefox with some websites.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
The sandbox mode on tabs sure sounds interesting since I have crashed out Firefox with some websites.
Sounds like IE8 on Vista. It has protected mode, plus if the website in a tab has an eppie, you can close it without killing the entire browser. And a lot of the time, it'll recover the tab too. Unless it's a repeat offender, then you'll be wanting to hit stop a load of times.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Sounds like IE8 on Vista. It has protected mode, plus if the website in a tab has an eppie, you can close it without killing the entire browser. And a lot of the time, it'll recover the tab too. Unless it's a repeat offender, then you'll be wanting to hit stop a load of times.

I haven't Beta Tested IE8 yet so I didn't know that :)

dwd2000

Reaction score
I'll stick with Firefox for a while. I've never been one to jump at every new thing that comes out. I haven't even switched to Firefox 3 yet, because my favorite skin isn't compatible with it yet. (Brushed Metal)

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I'm still sticking to Firefox primarily because of addons. I'm using Chrome right now as I type this message, and it would be great with Adblock Plus and Mouse Gestures. I just dislike the light blue window toolbar with the Windows Vista buttons.. doesn't look good on an XP system that has third party themes installed.

Chrome does feel really fast!

Hazirak

Reaction score
Sounds like IE8 on Vista. It has protected mode, plus if the website in a tab has an eppie, you can close it without killing the entire browser. And a lot of the time, it'll recover the tab too.
awsnapny5.png

... But does IE8 do one of those when a tab crashes? ;)

In all seriousness though, I see no harm in another browser hitting the internet. As a matter of fact, one could even argue that the greater the number of browsers with a significant market share, the more developers are discouraged from using browser-specific quirks. This in turn could cause the makers of these browsers to put more effort into supporting these standards. After all, just look at Internet Explorer - it's made quite a lot of headway in the standards department since Firefox became a formidable foe.

scorch94

Reaction score
I've been poking on Internet articles about Chrome and after some investigation, found a way to crash WHOLE browser, not just one tab.
Here, open a multiple tabs (just for proof). And in an empty tab, type this in address bar:
Code:
javascript:document.write("<a href='EVIL:%'>Crash me, baby!</a>");
Hit enter and hover mouse over the link. BANG! :)
This JavaScript has same effect as a noob putting link like that on a webpage.
Have fun! :)

mattura

Reaction score
I'm trialling Chrome right now, with firefox very much still around.

Plus for Chrome:
rewritten javascript engine - very fast!
sandbox tabs - good to have the separation
developer/inspector - rather like firebug
slim, streamlined, seems efficient
No need to download/install flash players etc before use, it just works

Minus for Chrome:
no adblock or similar (though I'm sure one will appear soon)
I like add-ons!

the task manager is a nice idea, and it's good that they copied the ff3 method of zooming the whole page, not just the text. Loads of (often badly designed) websites do not text zoom well. Also you can have pop-down folders in the bookmarks toolbar.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It has a task manager and information for geeks o_O.

? it's a resource hog. One tab = 25 MB RAM.

scorch94

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect official AdBlock Plus or sorta like that.
Maybe 3rd party, but official -- neh!
It's not in their interest to release something that would block their ads or something like that ;)

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I mainly use 3 browser on my computer: FF for my normal browsing (with addons, particularly A****** Plus heh heh), IE to check my website's layout and Chrome (Instead of Safari, which was then the fastest and smallest web Browser until now) for when I am building an app, or using a big program such as IDE or MMORPG Online Games (RTS games too), Oh and Chrome for the Incognito mode two!

the
Code:
javascript:document.write("<a href='EVIL:%'>Crash me, baby!</a>");
does make in crash, but I believe it's an effect from V8, the chrome javascript engine.

Last edited:

oliveoil

Reaction score
i just tried it and didnt really see a huge difference...i thought that firefox was just alot better...its just another browser out of many...firefox > all imo!

zen-r

Reaction score
...the greater the number of browsers with a significant market share, the more developers are discouraged from using browser-specific quirks. This in turn could cause the makers of these browsers to put more effort into supporting these standards....

This is a great point. As someone attempting to develop a website or two (as most of you should be, given that this is an x10hosting forum ;) ) I can well do without the extra hassle of regularly modifying my sites so that they work in various "quirky" browsers. The sooner the browsers all conform to set standards, the better!

There is another x10 forum thread on Chrome which I posted on before finding this thread. In it I mention a new "tweaked" version of Chrome just released, called Iron. It gives you privacy whilst using the browser by preventing all the data on you & your browsing from being fed back to Google's servers. If you're interested, see the post here http://forums.x10hosting.com/off-topic/82821-whaddaya-think-chrome.html#post457547

Coreeeey

Reaction score
I've installed Chrome, the user interface seems very simple, but I haven't explored very much. It was fast when I did use it but it seemed a little buggy.