Copyright Infringement

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What do you think about Copyright Infringement? Particularly using peer-to-peer technology to share or download copyrighted material? I would like this thread to be very intellectual and not just a few lines. Please actually have a valid point if you're going to post. Thanks!

I personally don't see what the fuss is about over illegally shared music files. Most of which are MP3's, and to be quite honest, MP3 quality is horrible. Do you believe it actually hurts the music industry?

I don't understand the deal about software either. The software has already been created. It costs nearly nothing to package it and create copies, why keep the cost so high? I'm sure if Adobe Photoshop were around $20.00, people would actually buy it rather than pirate it.

The same with movies as with software. The film has already been created? Why would you continuously charge $35-$50 for a DVD?

I do believe the creators of intellectual property should be able to control how it's used but most of the time it just seems like someone freaks out if they may be losing a penny or two?

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What do you think about Copyright Infringement? Particularly using peer-to-peer technology to share or download copyrighted material? I would like this thread to be very intellectual and not just a few lines. Please actually have a valid point if you're going to post. Thanks!

I personally don't see what the fuss is about over illegally shared music files. Most of which are MP3's, and to be quite honest, MP3 quality is horrible. Do you believe it actually hurts the music industry?

I don't understand the deal about software either. The software has already been created. It costs nearly nothing to package it and create copies, why keep the cost so high? I'm sure if Adobe Photoshop were around $20.00, people would actually buy it rather than pirate it.

The same with movies as with software. The film has already been created? Why would you continuously charge $35-$50 for a DVD?

I do believe the creators of intellectual property should be able to control how it's used but most of the time it just seems like someone freaks out if they may be losing a penny or two?

A movie cost a lot to make, maybe some million dollars even. Applications like photoshop and autodesk maya needs hundreds of developers to work every day for some months, and some cases up to 1 year or more. If every developer gets paid $4000/month for 1 year and there is 200 developers, then the software costs $9 600 000 to develope. Then, they update it all the time, and support it. A new version of autodesk maya is out every year, something similliar with the adobe products.

I do use some pirated software to keep up with school, as it is a requirement, because I can't afford them (Adobe CS4 design and autodesk maya, $10700 together). I do not say I do anything right, but I neither say I do anything wrong, as I need it for school, and school should be free.

If there was an alternative, cheaper and easier way to buy them, I would, but I wont drop off of school because I don't have the money.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think some software companies will give you discounts, sort of like a student license. You could probably look into that.

I believe software companies would make more money if they would sell their products cheaper. More people could buy them! Most companies (especially HP [printers]) charge for support other than online knowledge-bases.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of another thread :(. Anyway, I just thought of something else. What do you think about Creative Commons? I really really like the idea.

loveispoison

Banned
Reaction score
think for a momment like this what if you were making a movie and after its realeased in cinema some poeple record your movie in the cinema and then publish it on the net or realease the dvds on black market so what will happen and how your reaction will be ? you loose money the people who were gona watch the movie in cinema is gona buy the dvd in black market or download it over the net an watch it and share it with friends etc and same goes for softwares and music etc

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm not like most people. If I'm going to create something, I'm creating it for myself. Like if I design a web site, I do it because that's what I like to do and that's just me. Yeah, it'd be awesome to make money from it but that's not my intention. If someone really enjoys my work, that's payment enough for me.

Last edited:

loveispoison

Banned
Reaction score
ok here is another example you designed and created a unique website for your self or for profit and some one steals you work and share it over the net so what happens people get it free and they wont pay you and you loose thats how it work

jmcgowan

Reaction score
If someone creates a website / product and decides to give it away for free, then that is there decision. They created it, and can therefore decide to give it away for free. A good example of this would be open source software like Firefox. Companies like Google and Mozilla are managing to be successful companies giving away all the software they make.

However, if someone makes a website / product and decides to charge for it, then it is expected that people who want the product actually pay for it. As was mentioned above, thousands of labor hours go into software, as well as support, development software to build the new software, etc... in the case of movies, between production costs and paying the people invovled in making the movie (have you ever actually watched the credits to see just how many people go into making one movie?) movies cost a lot of money to make, and they don't always recount the full cost if the movie doesn't do that well. So the high cost of DVDs helps to pay off all those costs, make up for poor movies, and fund the next movie (and make sure that people like Tom Cruise can continue to not clean his clothes and just keep buying new instead).

All that said... I can't exactly claim that I've never downloaded a program, song, and or movie that I should have paid for in the store...

briapv

Reaction score
WOEHOEEEE If i didnt Copyright Infrigement i had MONEY for a host too, i have to pay 15 Euro's for 1 old DVD

taha116

Reaction score
Part 1

The thing is that some people (Normal ones anyways) dont appreciate working for like 12 months on a project with 80 other people and after all that having to split the 20 buks with 80 ppl. Think about it minimum wage or basicly a not so great job is somethng paying less then 15 Gs. A developer for adobe whos tallented, experienced and one through allot of work in school should be raking in the cash, hes earned it right?

Part 2

Although 20 buks would be nice its definatley not realistic for the programers, and 600 dollars isnt realistic to consumers.... Wat happened to compromising? I completley agree it should be lower, something within the budget of a typical part timer... I mean you save up for a bike and you save around 150 - 250 bucks for a good bike... I really wouldnt buy any adobe product myself beacause when id save 150-250 bucks idd go stright to any local bike store and spend my money on that instead..

Conclusion:
Since copyright issues apply to more than just adobe the explantion isnt prefect but i agree that some people do hold rediculoslu high preices for their products and adobe needs to do something about there prices, untill then its no excuse for us to steal their stuff.

zen-r

Reaction score

redivy

Reaction score
I can thank LoveIsPoison for the laugh I got out of his post :)

Anways, Copyright Infringement is very wrong, yet people do it all the time. It's quite annoying, but it isn't going to be something that is going to be stopped for quite a while. It's like shoplifting in a store that has nobody in it.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's like shoplifting in a store that has nobody in it.
Good analogy. I like that. I'm gonna use that on somebody I know sometime. :biggrin:

Anyways, I'm not getting what's so laughable about what lovepoison did...

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Does anybody think the peer-to-peer networks could be used to promote music rather than remove its earnings? I think it would be great but I don't understand how it could be done.

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Anyways, I'm not getting what's so laughable about what lovepoison did...

ok here is another example you designed and created a unique website for your self or for profit and some one steals you work and share it over the net so what happens people get it free and they wont pay you and you loose thats how it work

Wasn't that what he did?

Anyway, I think software should be cheaper than it is now, and have the same price everywhere. For example Autodesk Maya, the cheapest licence I found in the US was around $2000, while the cheapest license in Sweden is $11 000.

There are coming a movie service in Europe that is free, with commercial breaks, called Voddler. It's like Spotify, you either have it free and watch the commercials, or pay for it monthly without commercials. I got a priority invite to the beta test xD

Last edited:

rumblebear

Reaction score
...why keep the cost so high?
Why would you continuously charge $35-$50 for a DVD?

The simplest answer to your question, like most questions that begin "... why do they?" or "...why don't they?" is simple greed. They charge what they do because they know that if people need it they will pay it. The same is true for gasoline. Do you REALLY think it costs the oil companies all that much to produce a gallon of gasoline, even with the cost of crude at 80 to 100 dollars a barrel? It is the greed of the stockholders, demanding every penny they can squeeze out of the paying public. And they know we'll pay it, and even quit birching about it after a while.

Greed is what makes the world go 'round...

:rant2:

taha116

Reaction score
Just a question that the copyright infringment brings to my mind. I know x10s got a no-anime thingy so im guessing sites like this arent allowed ? http://dubhappy.com/