CSS/JS Uploading Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

staffing

Reaction score
It has come to my attention that when uploading CSS/JS Files whether through an Uploader like FileZilla or DreamWeaver, the .css and .js files take a long time to update before taking effect on your website as opposed to .php/.html/etc.. files. This problem still persists when using the cPanel uploader. Is there any reason for this? It appears that I haven't been the only person with this problem. I view my websites css and it appears to be using an old version of the css whereas I look at the upload manager code and it show's the code that I have changed...

So why does it take a while before css and js files upload may I ask

caftpx10

Reaction score
I don't think this is to do with uploading, it's more of to do with caching; the same issue I'm having.

staffing

Reaction score
I don't think this is to do with uploading, it's more of to do with caching; the same issue I'm having.
I do a force cache clear to refresh my website (CTRL + F5) in order to avoid that however there's still no effect

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

Please could you try appending this line to your .htaccess file and try again?
Code:
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, private, no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"

Thank you,

caftpx10

Reaction score
I do a force cache clear to refresh my website (CTRL + F5) in order to avoid that however there's still no effect
This seems to do with Varnish cache (according to a Cloudflare staff member), so local cache wipes are nothing.
I've confirmed this by using multiple devices.

staffing

Reaction score
Hi,

Please could you try appending this line to your .htaccess file and try again?
Code:
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, private, no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"

Thank you,
This didn't work unfortunately.

caftpx10

Reaction score
From my experience, it takes a few minutes for it to update (can range from 5 to 1 hour).
Also, I've tried that header before and it has no effect on this issue.

Have you recently added an add-on domain? If so then when? Are you using Cloudflare? If you haven't used an add-on domain, when have you registered your account?

kabasspc

Reaction score
I have fixed this issue by opening each folder directly and checking the files, through the browser. for example (test.pcriot.com/css/)

marc2002

Reaction score
I had this same issue and after a bit of searching, this is what i've added to my .htaccess file.

Code:
<FilesMatch "\.(css|js|php)$">
FileETag None
Header unset ETag
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"
Header set Pragma "no-cache"
Header set Expires "Wed, 11 Jan 1984 05:00:00 GMT"
</FilesMatch>

Now i see my css/js updates instantly.

Edit: I should add that I don't use cloudflare. But I was affected by the varnish server when I first joined and it took me awhile to figure it out.

webbrewe

Reaction score
The above .htaccess solution from Dead-i doesn't seem to work. Try adding this:
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresDefault A1
Header append Cache-Control must-revalidate

caftpx10

Reaction score
@marc2002's solution seemed to have worked well! I had to do a bit of a clean up to avoid some bits of the code from getting overrided.

staffing

Reaction score
I had this same issue and after a bit of searching, this is what i've added to my .htaccess file.

Code:
<FilesMatch "\.(css|js|php)$">
FileETag None
Header unset ETag
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"
Header set Pragma "no-cache"
Header set Expires "Wed, 11 Jan 1984 05:00:00 GMT"
</FilesMatch>

Now i see my css/js updates instantly.

Edit: I should add that I don't use cloudflare. But I was affected by the varnish server when I first joined and it took me awhile to figure it out.
Your solution worked marvelously! Thank you! :)

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
In reality, only the Cache-Control header is necessary to stop the caching. Trust us--we've been using it for months...

caftpx10

Reaction score
In reality, only the Cache-Control header is necessary to stop the caching. Trust us--we've been using it for months...
That alone didn't work though. Differs to others?
EDIT: That was a quick response.
From what I know, this issue occurs when you create a new account or when you add on a new add-on domain. Could need a bit of investigation.
Would be awesome if you guys who had worked around this issue could provide when you've registered and when you've added a domain (last one is for when the issue occurred after adding a domain).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.