Custom Domain Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I own the domain flyoffacliff.com and want to use 10xhosting with it. It made me select a subdomain when I registered, so I just entered something I will never use. I added an A record for my name servers pointing to your servers public IP 198.91.81.6. Then I gave it time to update and tried to add it in the x10 CPanel under "Parked Domains". And I get this error:

Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

I have no idea what the "add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns" means?
Acsesing the IP directly results in a server error: http://198.91.81.6/

Thanks for the help.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

Instead of setting your A records, please could you alter your domain so that it points to our nameservers? :)

Our nameservers are:
ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com

Thank you,

Reaction score
Hi,

Instead of setting your A records, please could you alter your domain so that it points to our nameservers? :)

Our nameservers are:
ns1.x10hosting.com
ns2.x10hosting.com

Thank you,

I would rather use my register's name-servers so I have more control over the other records. I understand what I am doing is more complicated and I may have to change the record's IP manually in the future. But if you could help me get it working with different name servers, that would be great. :)

Any ideas whats wrong? Thank you.

AngusThermopyle

Reaction score
Any ideas whats wrong? Thank you.

He told you what is wrong. x10 system is set up to prevent security problems and does not let you do it your way.

Suggestion:
a. Change the nameservers to x10, then
b. Add the domain via cPanel, then
c. Switch the nameservers to the ones you want.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

Just to add to what Angus said, we still do allow you to fully customise all your domain's records if your domain is pointing to our nameservers. You will be able to set A and CNAME records for your domain using cPanel's DNS Editor. :)

Thank you,

Reaction score
Why would this cause security problems for you? Can I do it my way if I buy premium hosting? I can't add AAAA records in x10 CPanel or modify SOA Parameters. It would cause security problems for ME by giving YOU full unnecessary control of MY domain.

Also, whats with the server error: http://198.91.81.6/ ?

AngusThermopyle

Reaction score
Why would this cause security problems for you?
Proves that you own the domain. Keeps x10 from hosting spoofing sites.

Can I do it my way if I buy premium hosting?

Don't think so.

I can't add AAAA records in x10 CPanel or modify SOA Parameters.

Again, try it my way. You end up with everything back at your registrar.

It would cause security problems for ME by giving YOU full unnecessary control of MY domain

Pointing the NS temporarily here? FULL CONTROL?

Also, whats with the server error: http://198.91.81.6/ ?

You are one of maybe 10000 on that server. Going there directly, ie, without a domain name, causes any number of errors. Happens on any shared hosting server.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
The security threat here is that anyone could say that they own any domain they wanted. They could say they owned google.com if they wanted to. And, while this is not likely, it can cause serious issues due to MITM attacks. DNS poisoning could trick a computer into thinking a domain pointed to a server here, and since it has an entry and a route (ie, it knows what to do with the domain), then all of a sudden we have a problem.

AAAA records are old records, and were replaced by A6 records.

You should not need to modify any SOA parameters.. in fact you will cause problems with your DNS records if you do modify the SOA too much.

We are a reputable web hosting company--we have nothing to gain by modifying your DNS records--and we don't modify them unless we're asked by a customer to do so.

The correct way to do this is--if you still want to end up using your own nameservers:

1. Point your domain to our DNS name servers
2. Wait for it to propagate.
3. Add the domain as parked/addon domain.
4. Point your domain back to your DNS name servers.
5. Add an A record for your domain on your name servers to point to the server which you are on.

Additionally, the IP address you're referring to is a shared IP address for the hosting server--not a dedicated IP for your account. If you'd like a dedicated IP address, you would need to sign up for one of our Premium hosting plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.