Error 503 Backend fetch failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Got hit again just now. First three accesses to the backend of the site. Refresh got me through but it keeps showing up on x04
Hi mholmes,

I'm seeing your account as being on Illuminated. Is this the correct account, or do you have another? :)

Thank you,

bdistler

Prime Account
Reaction score
According to @mholmes, xo4 is affected as well. I on xo2 never got that error.
Pretty much everyone that is new to this forum is experiencing this issue. Has there been a change recently for newer accounts?
mholmes is the only one in the last day or so - that has said they received this issue on free-hosting server xo4 - and his error is [ S503 ] NOT [ 503 ]
EDIT - above line - mholmes now says --> "The server actually throwing the errors is x03"

All accounts on xo4 are new accounts - it is a new free-hosting server
this is a issue with the servers - has nothing to do with free-hosting accounts being old or new

as for your account on free-hosting server [ xo2 ] - do you use a CMS with MySQL - on it ? - how often do you check it ?
not all accounts on all free-hosting servers have this issue at the same time

Believe me, they have seen many threads like these and tried to reproduce the error with no luck.
where did you see that x10hosting staff "...tried to reproduce the error with no luck" ?
my understanding is they have reproduce the error and said "We have acknowledged the issue--more than once. And we're working on it."

Last edited:

mholmes

Reaction score
Sorry I am working on three different servers for three different projects. My condo association is on illuminated. I have an account on x03 for development which is where the errors are coming in. I also have an account on x04 which will we hope we will be moving to a paid server when we get the development completed. Sorry for the confusion. The server actually throwing the errors is x03.

caftpx10

Reaction score
mholmes is the only one in the last day or so - that has said they received this issue on free-hosting server xo4 - and his error is [ S503 ] NOT [ 503 ]
All accounts on xo4 are new accounts - it is a new free-hosting server
this is a issue with the servers - has nothing to do with free-hosting accounts being old or new

as for your account on free-hosting server [ xo2 ] - do you use a CMS with MySQL - on it ? - how often do you check it ?
not all accounts on all free-hosting servers have this issue at the same time

where did you see that x10hosting staff "...tried to reproduce the error with no luck" ?
my understanding is they have reproduce the error and said "We have acknowledged the issue--more than once. And we're working on it."
A few times in these threads, they were unable to reproduce such error. Some however eventually found it. One would be located at this link. Error 503 Backend fetch failed

I have noticed the S503 error by the thread recently posted on the sub-forum.

Remember that the error is like an on and off switch - it comes on at different times.

My site does not use a CMS, is fully coded by keyboard and is not currently using MySQL. I do check it after a few hours and sometimes minutes, I still haven't got the error.

After some quick research, it can be caused by certain code but I don't believe that is the case here, something could be triggering this.
Since the error is regarding a backend (server side) fetch retrieval issue, there could possibly be something minor causing the issue. I'm not saying that I'm right, this is just what I think so far.

miambien

Reaction score
Thank you for work solving this problem. I really enjoy your webhosting service.

tempx103

Reaction score
Is there any update on getting the problem with the servers fixed?
I am not getting the 503 error at the moment, but the site is running extremely slow.

caftpx10

Reaction score
Is there any update on getting the problem with the servers fixed?
I am not getting the 503 error at the moment, but the site is running extremely slow.
Is your site using MySQL (I'm talking about the scripts using it)?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi--

Most of these issues should be alleviated at this time.

tempx103

Reaction score
Hi--

Most of these issues should be alleviated at this time.

The NHHRA.org site is exteremly slow (when it works) and it is still getting the "Error 503 Backend fetch failed" error.

Please help get this fixed. The site is not even usable right now.

mholmes

Reaction score
Been off working on a site getting ready for release. Came back today and server x03 is running slow and still throwing 503 errors.

xtremeph

Reaction score
xo3 server here with the same error. I swear, if this isn't fixed in a day or so, I'm moving servers. Should have went with a paid platform a while ago and I tell you this, this doesn't make me want to buy from these guys. I'll be darned if I set up my customers on sketchy servers.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
We're working on the resolution. We cannot just go and make changes randomly hoping to resolve issues--they have to be tested and re-tested. A fix should be along soon.

xtremeph

Reaction score
5 days ago your network status said this was fixed. I'd say that was a random change and untested. These started showing up after installation of Varnish. I'd say that was random change and untested.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Our premium servers have been running on Varnish for over two months now with no issues. The issue is not related to Varnish, however it is exacerbated by Varnish's Timeout settings with regard to Litespeed, an Apache Drop-in Replacement that is in use on our free servers. A similar implementation was tested on free hosting, and worked fine. There were unexpected, outside events that we found out were causing issues on xo1, xo2, and xo3. A fix was tested on one server, and showed good results, and was then deployed to the other two servers yesterday--just as the server status page says.

Last night, after reviewing monitoring logs, we found out that the issue was not fully resolved, and we began investigating other solutions.

Around 4AM Eastern time, after testing, we deployed a fix onto XO1, which has shown good results since the deployment. We are working on deploying the patch to xo2 and xo3--which will happen shortly.

The new implementation of Varnish and Apache utilizes a custom-built Litespeed SAPI that processes PHP, and in our testing, has shown speeds to be at least an order of magnitude faster than Litespeed alone, and almost two orders of magnitude faster than Apache alone.

It is very difficult to test and make large-scale changes to free hosting servers, because any small change affects so many accounts, and therefore changes take a very long time to put in place, and have to be planned out and tested in a smaller-scale. A good chunk of time last night was spent waiting for our security system, CageFS, to propagate file system changes into every user's account.

The free hosting servers are not guinea pigs for our premium hosting--nor are the users of free hosting. That being said, free hosting should not, and never should have been considered a "Free trial" of sorts of Premium hosting--they're incomparable, for many reasons.

We strive to provide the best service for all of our customers, both free and paid. We have a dedicated staff that works constantly to provide an amazing service for all of our users and customers alike--we don't put one group in front of another. Threatening to leave, or to not upgrade does not sway us in any way to put through untested resolutions for problems. In fact, most of our clients these days are not from upgrades from Free hosting. We provide our hosting for free as a courtesy, and because it's what we've been doing for the past ten years.

Thank you,

xtremeph

Reaction score
I don't use freehosting as a guinea pig perse to paid hosting. However, I do use it to test out customer service. Almost a week to fix an issue (free hosting or not) doesn't look good IMO.

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Our free hosting comes with community support, as it always has. Unfortunately members of the community aren't able to implement the fixes that need to be implemented. As I've explained to you above, we do not put anything into place without thorough testing, however, obviously some things cannot be foreseen. The 503 errors people were experiencing were intermittent. They did not cause 24/7 downtime, in fact, my reports still show over 98% uptime for all of the servers for the past week (yes, this takes into account the 503 errors). Because of the intermittent nature of the issues, we were not able to fully isolate the cause for a long amount of time. Granted yes, it took longer than we had wished, however these things take time.

If you want a sample of what our premium customer service is like, you will not find it on free hosting. As I said before, free hosting is mostly volunteer, community support. Our premium service's customer supports is 24/7. Most account-unique issues are solved in under an hour, and most tickets are answered within 10-30 minutes of being put in.

Status
Not open for further replies.