Flashing Underscore of Death????

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Okay well I just noticed x10Hosting has a thread on Computers and Technology :)

So I guess I might as well as for some help..ANY HELP AT ALL...if it works to fix my problem I will give you all my credits "I SWEAR"

I have a desktop computer, compaq. Best computer I have had in my life. And I've owned a lot in my life so I've probably tried more things than you all might have.

It is a Desktop Computer,

Compaq Presario SR2038X AMD 64 AthlonX2 Dual Core
Processor 3800+
Memory 1024 MB
250GB Hard drive
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 615o LE
Womdpws XP, but Windows Vista Compatable.

I really have no idea what other computer information you may need.

The day before, or the day of the computer breaking, there was a virus, I used Malwarebytes to destroy it...then WAM...

When I go to turn on my computer, it doesn't start normally it sends me to a black screen with a blinking underscore at the top Left corner of the moniter...

I tried all those pretty buttons at the top of the keyboard, f1 f2 f3 f4 and all of those...at least once every time I turne the computer on before the blinking white underscore at the top left corner, and right after the windows xp sign that you get when the computer turns on.

I will give all my credits to fix this problem I have. I remember in the past, I was able to press one of those f1 or f2 or f3 or fsomething buttons and it let me restart the computer back to the way it was BRAND new, with nothing on it as if I just bought it...but I can't do that now?..

Any help, or tips on fixing it, would be great...I looked online didn't find anything that helped.

I swear, if you can help me, and I do it to the computer and it works, I will give you all of my credits...I am not sure how much that is, but all of them.

Thank you for your time and your help or consideration.
From John Klyne.

Francis_J

Reaction score
Mmm I can't tell for sure but my guess is you deleted some sort of malware/virus that was integrated into your OS. It would be good if you could give the type of malware it was.

For an example situation there's this family of viruses: win32\Sality
These types of viruses infect program files, meaning they get inside(alter/change) these programs. They become part of the program.

Now since Windows is also made up of a number of EXE's then there's no question that a number of very important exe's could have gotten infected.

So considering these facts there's the possibility your AV could have detected an exe, but it so happens that that particular exe was required for windows to run properly. You're AV deleted this(there's even a good chance your AV asked you to reboot to be able to do this). After deletion the exe was missing hence windows could not properly boot.

I'm not saying that this is what happened to your System. It's just one of the many ways we can get into the kind of situation you are in now.

Solution:
Best solution would be is to do a format of your System drive(usually C:\). If you keep your files in a different partition then you're good to go. If not, you have a lot of work to do because you have to find a way to transfer these files to a partition where they won't be affected when you do a format on your System drive.

In a nutshell do these:
1. Format system drive. Install Windows there.
2. Install Good AV before everything else (Do not! Do not run other programs yet).
3. Scan other partitions to make sure to get rid of other possible infections. (If you're AV has the ability to clean, use the clean function. Otherwise you're probably going to lose a lot of other exe's).
4. After all that you should be good to go.

If you know how to do these things then you're all set to go. If not just ask for directions.

Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Actually what you mentioned is probably, 99% of what really happened.

I'm not sure if it was

win32\Sality, to be honest I do not know anything related to viruses other than the fact that they messed up my computer hehe.

I don't really know how to format the system drive, as for the information I had on my computer it was payroll records and such for my employees that work in my construction company which is located in NJ. Immediately after the flashing underscore showed up at my computer I sent it over to this computer technician/cop and he saved everything on a cd.

I will do a search for formating the disk drive, but if that is the same thing as ...going to go buy another Windows XP operating software...when I had paid for it, when it was installed on the computer at the store I bought it...do I really have to buy another one?? Paying for another Windows XP is not what I wanted to do, and hope that formatting the disk drive, has nothing to do with it.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate the help you given me, I will see what I can do, if it works/if I find out how I'll definitely send over all my credits to you.

Thank you,
John Klyne.

steronius

Reaction score
Assuming Windows...

It may not see the Master Boot Record
boot the Windows CD and choose repair prompt or command prompt or whatever it's labeled.
try the "fixmbr" & "fixboot" commands.
if that doesnt work, you may luck out and have a cd version that has the "repair install" option. it can reinstall windows keeping your current settings intact, but you will have to run all updates again:
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20Repair%20Windows%20XP%20by%20Installing%20Over%20top%20of%20Existing%20Setup:
CAUTION, pay vvery close attention and use the "To run a Repair Install Press "R" at this time." option.

Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I guess, I should buy another Windows XP CD?

Thank you for your help, I will try to buy one...may take about a month or so, but I'll do it. Thank you. If that doesn't work, I'll revisit this thread.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Why do you need to buy another CD? You either have one, or if it came with it, as Windows is licensed, if you have a legit license key... Surely you can do what you want to .... 'make it work'? If you catch my drift......

Not sure on the legality of it. You're not getting it for free if you own a license key.

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Close friend of mine had a copy of XP which was purchased with the license key at a major retailer several years ago. Not long ago the disc, due to age, became scratched and unusable. They went to a local computer repair shop where they obtained a replacement XP disc (copied from an ISO or something), for $1.00. This disc was then used with the original license key (purchased at the major retailer years ago), to to install XP. My understanding that this is all completely legal because the license key used with the replacement disc was a legally purchased / obtained license key. It is also my understanding that the license key can be used X number of times (5 or 10 - not sure) before it "expires" and will no longer work, this system being in place to allow legal licensed owners of the software to reinstall a reasonable number of times in case of catastrophic computer failure.

steronius

Reaction score
You can also call Microsoft with your legitimate key for a reset if you've triggered the "limit". As long as it's legit, they'll reset the activations.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Why do you need to buy another CD? You either have one, or if it came with it, as Windows is licensed, if you have a legit license key... Surely you can do what you want to .... 'make it work'? If you catch my drift......

Not sure on the legality of it. You're not getting it for free if you own a license key.

I bought my computer at a store known as Comp USA, in NJ. On the computer was windows xp installed when I bought it. On the back of the desktop there is a tag. It says liscense key, and seriel number and all those or numbers and letters.

When I got the computer, no cds came with it, nothing came with it, except the actual installation of windwos on the computer.. I sent it to this guy whos job is to fix these things, he says you need to get another xp cd. This guy is also a cop as well as fixes computers and such.

The only way I can get one is to buy one legally...?

I have already called Microsoft they said I have to call the place I bought the computer from. Thing is, Comp USA went bankrupt..and closed operations on the streets.

Last edited:

steronius

Reaction score
XP came out in different versions. if you are lucky to find an "image" ('iso', 'bin', etc.) of XP on the internet (torrent), burn to cd, then use it with your legitimate "key" then it should still be legal.

The cop should be able to do this also, without breaking laws. I think you could easily do this yourself of course.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
XP came out in different versions. if you are lucky to find an "image" ('iso', 'bin', etc.) of XP on the internet (torrent), burn to cd, then use it with your legitimate "key" then it should still be legal.
The cop should be able to do this also, without breaking laws. I think you could easily do this yourself of course.
That was exactly the point of my earlier post and I completely agree with you in that I do not think there is anything illegal, immoral, or fattening about doing this. In the case I was referring to the duplicate disc was obtained at a local computer repair shop and I am thinking John should be able to obtain a disc in a similar manner.

Last edited:

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Most IT depts and geeks have a legit copy of XP lurking in a drawer someplace and if that draws a dead end Google for your nearest DEFCON chapter they should be able to find one for you.

While your waiting why not try a Ubuntu boot disc and have a play, you may even like it.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Okay so I have obtained a copy...as someone suggested how...burned the image on a cd. And I placed the cd within the computer... turned it on...nothing happens, nothing says press x to boot from cd or any of that...

steronius I used the source you found me...maybe there's a special way of using it or something that I don't see? Sorry I am not that knowledgable in these things everyone, and I appreciate the time and help you have all put within helping me. For that thank you so far...i'm just clueless on fixing it...

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I replied in bold

Assuming Windows...

It may not see the Master Boot Record
boot the Windows CD and choose repair prompt or command prompt or whatever it's labeled....I did do it, the repair thing when it was labled...that was done, then the computer restarted on it's own...I had the same problem as before.
try the "fixmbr" & "fixboot" commands.
if that doesnt work, you may luck out and have a cd version that has the "repair install" option. it can reinstall windows keeping your current settings intact, but you will have to run all updates again:
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20Repair%20Windows%20XP%20by%20Installing%20Over%20top%20of%20Existing%20Setup:
CAUTION, pay vvery close attention and use the "To run a Repair Install Press "R" at this time." option.Yes I did press R, for that....still doesn't work.

....Since that didn't work, I had the cd do a fresh full install. Well the install finished after quite a long time, until it reached 100%...then some other download things came up and so on...and well all that finished, then it said, something to remove anything in drive A, when the computer restarts and such....

Computer restarted...there is a flashing underscore still but now if you wait a little it says pres enter to reboot from dvd or cd whichever....then it goes onto, to start windows...what happen is it says, Please wait for windows to restart and when that happens same thing as above happens, but now at the end it says...setup is being restarted...it a

Windows - No Disk
Exception Processing Message c000013 Parameters 75b6bf7c... .... ... error comes up...Anyone know how I can fix this?

And umm...maybe I installed windows wrong? That is why I got the error, but I have no idea...

Thank you for your help everyone.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
.....FIXED:

Okay so what I did was take the cd I got, thanks to steronius help finding it. And I put the cd in, and reinstalled everything, again...this time I actually plugged in my mouse to my computer...

When the Exception Processing Error came up, my mouse pointer was there...I kept on hitting..."Continue," like 10 times, then windows started... :)

I would not have fixed it without the help of all of you.

I have/tried repping everyone that helped.

But I believe the credits should go to steronius...he saw I had no clue on getting a cd, and instead provided me with one. I used my cd key that was labeled on the back of my computer (the box thing) and everything worked perfectly.

Thank you everyone for your help. It was greatly appreciated. I once again have 3 computers all fully working.

----
...I tried giving credits but can't find the button to do so...? Anyone able to help with that?.... (Seems like I keep asking for help, and am giving nothing in return, sorry guys/gals.)

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
John, I believe that most, (if not all), of the people who are active on these forums, do so because they simply enjoy helping out. The "reward" is seeing a problem solved.

Last I heard there are a few minor bugs in the credit system which staff has been made aware of.

Very happy to hear that your computer is running again.
:)

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Thank you carl, I'm glad it is running as well. Yes I beleive they help out because they want to, but when it comes to fixing something especially my computer I like giving out rewards so that it helps me get some more responses or interest in my situation.

Francis_J

Reaction score
And after a century in dog years I am back. :) Good to hear you've found a lot of help with your problem. I strongly suggest you brush up on your IT skills on your free time. Having mentioned you being some company owner, you could save yourself some money in the long run not having to depend on other IT people that much.

Regards.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Conzone I will download it, and post results :)

rc_francis_j85...Glad you're back hehe...I probably should brush up on my skills, it would save me money, but I think of it like this, if I didn't pay that cop/IT guy to at least retreive my hard drive data with employee payrolls I would have been...scr..ed. Anyways if I did know how to do it myself, I would have saved money, but he would have lost money...he buys less stuff...then a person gets laid off since people don't buy stuff at his store...and so on. You can understand where I am going with it, hehe.

-----

It says "Class Not Registered" for everything.
Except for my mouse/peripherals

I guess that is not good?

Last edited: