free os

JuniorD

Reaction score
what are the top os's. please give information on how to boot into these and such.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score

razored

Reaction score
If you are new to Linux, Ubuntu is probably most recommended.

Or, you can be a dare-devil and try Debian like I did.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
well, you can try kubuntu if you like the KDE desktop.I used it and it is pretty cool

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Red Hat, Fedora are the most well known Linux distribution, which is the only free OS.

chappill

Reaction score
PClinuxOS is good I use it, it's easy and simple and looks well good =]

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Right now I run Fedora Core 9 on only one PC. This is my network router/web server, hence one of the reasons it's Fedora. It's a little harder to use than Ubuntu but it's still pretty easy to run. Otherwise, I might see how CentOS is, and when I get around to it I'll find some ISO file for it if it is freely available.

masteraa

Reaction score
I have Ubuntu too, and I recommend it for beginners.

Kind of a newb question but whats the diffrence between gos and ubuntu? I downloaded gos to run on my old win 98 machine, and it works perfect, it was the simplest os install ever.

but when i select a os to start, its called ubuntu on the screen,

is gos, just a 3rd party modified version of ubuntu? what is the diffrence between the 2?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Kind of a newb question but whats the diffrence between gos and ubuntu? I downloaded gos to run on my old win 98 machine, and it works perfect, it was the simplest os install ever.

but when i select a os to start, its called ubuntu on the screen,

is gos, just a 3rd party modified version of ubuntu? what is the diffrence between the 2?

gOS is based on the Ubuntu 7.10 source code. That should explain why you see that.

masteraa

Reaction score
gOS is based on the Ubuntu 7.10 source code. That should explain why you see that.

Which features do you know of that makes the 2 diffrent?

I know gos is more of a simple version, but is it lacking features ubuntu has?

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I've never used gOS so I can't tell you. I have heard of it though which is why I know what source code it was built off of. I used to run Ubuntu as well, but I switched to Fedora as I got more knowledgeable in Linux.

masteraa

Reaction score
I've never used gOS so I can't tell you. I have heard of it though which is why I know what source code it was built off of. I used to run Ubuntu as well, but I switched to Fedora as I got more knowledgeable in Linux.

Ugh, theres more than 2 versions lol...

How many versions of lunix is there? or is there thousands, each application having its own version.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
I know of a dozen or so different Linux distros. RedHat, CentOS, PuppyLinux, ArcLinux, Fedora, Ubuntu, Edubuntu, Kubuntu, Linspire, etc.

xPlozion

Reaction score
phew, you're only scratching the surface of the linux community ;) enjoy your stay.

recommended distros for beginners are Ubuntu, Fedora Core, OpenSuSe are all easy (OpenSuSe concentrates around a single control panel to manage everything in the computer). Ubuntu is probably the best of them all for novices, but is not the most resource friendly distro.

Once you get the gist of it and want to dig deeper into the linux community, I highly recommend giving ArchLinux a try (FreeBSD style configs (rc.conf, rc.d, etc...) and speed of Gentoo/Slackware and the package manager (called pacman) just as powerful as apt-get.

masteraa

Reaction score
IM still overly impressed that gos works on my 400 mhz 190 mb ram win 98.... any os that can do that, wins!

Other than win 98, but thats a tiny bit out of date now :p

xPlozion

Reaction score
I had ArchLinux running XFCE (but I would have rather had OpenBox if it weren't for it being my dad's computer) on a really old Pentium II (Klamath @ 233MHz). It was originally installed with Windows 95 (beat that). It was a Gateway 2000 G6-233 :p

Beat that ;), although Slackware (which is very similar, and often compared to ArchLinux) can run older hardware

Can you tell that I am an enthusiastic ArchLinux user??? :D

Last edited: