Votes: 85 89.5%

• Total voters

coolv1994

Reaction score
which site editor do you use microsoft frontpage or macromedia dreamweaver

Last edited:

adrenlinerush

Reaction score
neither... usually scite the programmers text editor... if i want a gui i use Kompozer... its free and open source...

eddysweb

Reaction score
i used to use fontpage when i started to code but now i use dreamweaver, not because of the GUI but rather than the color text, makes it alot easier to see anything...

Slothie

Reaction score
Is this a trick question?

I'd consider myself a decent programmer but I Do use dreamweaver for the initial design of my sites, I use PHPedit afterwards for tweaking.

SyncViews

Reaction score
Well I have Dreamweaver but in practice I end up making my site in notepad++ lol. I use dreamweaver if I just want to get something made fast and don't want to spend time codeing it my self though.

Swiblet

Reaction score
I use Dreamweaver =) I'm lacking in the time to spend learning all those complicated languages. And I'm a lazy fruit. So I go Adobe all the way (Adobe had me hooked with their products since Photoshop =D And now I have the Master Collection)

~~B3N

MetalDragon42

Reaction score
Dreamweaver though I do tend to code my self in crimson editor and just use DW now for the odd stuff now and then.

Sohail

Reaction score
Dreamweaver is much more professional and is usually used by many professional web designers. Frontpage is a Microsoft program with a noobish interface whereas Dreamweaver has a lot more features but i can't be bothered to list them all as it would take hours...

So i'd go for Dreamweaver.

Jesse

Reaction score
Dreamweaver is for professional. If you are a newbie try using Frontpage. But i suggest you use Dreamweaver.

fitzysit

Reaction score
neither... usually scite the programmers text editor... if i want a gui i use Kompozer... its free and open source...

i was like adrenlinerush i used Komposer before i got dreamweaver
i use dreamweaver CS3 its very professional and it means that you cant cut corners like you can in frontpage, when i was a newbie i didnt start with fronpage i learnt hand codeing it was much easier

Last edited:

Xemnas

Reaction score
I don't use either much; I try to avoid any if I can. I only really use FrontPage to give me an idea of a layout for my site. Dreamweaver sucks, I can't believe Adobe is so lazy they can't integrate any parser besides HTML into it. Heck, most web development IDEs suck, that's why I prefer using text editors for scripting sites. No messy tag placements, no lengthy load times, no having to connect to a server and upload files just to debug a PHP script (Dreamweaver, I'm looking right at you), no avoiding not learning your language of choice (face it folks, drag-and-drop is NOT web design).

What I hate most about these so-called web design IDEs, though, is they're too "easy". People don't have to know **** about anything to use them; just drag a text field onto the white area and now you're all of a sudden a web designer. It doesn't work like that; you'll only be a web designer when you actually know something, and possibly have a job in the field. Why, if all the web design IDEs with more than text editing functions were wiped from existence now, 2/3s of you would give up because there's nothing that does everything for you anymore, because you're too damn lazy to learn anything. Of the other 1/3, most would either already know how to write scripts, perhaps even have paying jobs because of your knowledge; the rest would probably take the time to learn to do that without drag-and-drop.

Now before you start pointing out "but professionals use Dreamweaver!", let me tell you that chances are they'd either only use the code window and preview functions for the actual making of the site (they may layout using Design view), or wouldn't use DW at all and hand-code their scripts. They have their jobs because they can hand-code and have the expertise people need; if you think knowing how to design a page using menus and drag-and-drop will get you a job, forget it; you may as well not bring a resume at all, you're just as likely to get the job without it.

Finally, let me tell you that cumbersome as they are, web design IDEs can be a good starting point for newbies - just don't get into the habit of relying on drag-and-drop for designing web sites. Many people probably started with FrontPage, and while it doesn't support many scripting languages, it is FAR from totally useless (but still not a replacement for Notepad ;) ).

OK, uber-long post done. :biggrin:

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
I usually use Notepad for everything XD but sometimes I use ConTEXT (mainly used by me for UnrealScript) or FrontPage.

VPmase

Reaction score
Dreamweaver. It, imo, is retarded (for lack of a better word) with its GUI and makes doesn't really have the options for text highlighting in any language other than Microsoft ones.

michael9

Reaction score
I think dreamweaver is the best, because of the syntax highlighting, but they need to fix their PHP syntax highlighting -.-

FCSUtah

Reaction score
I currently use dreamweaver for right now. I only use the code and preview tabs so that I can do my code writing and preview it every so often to make sure that no errors are occurring on my page.

epoclaen

Reaction score
I only recently started using Dreamweaver but it's become my preferred editor. I had been using Notepad until I discovered UltraEdit which is similar to Crimson Editor and conTEXT from what I see of those. I use UE for programming in my gaming environment which uses its own GemStone Language but Dreamweaver is more suited for web design.

I have no problem with drag-and-drop interfaces - as long as you understand the code it's inserting and if/why you need that code. I think any professional would have pieces of code snippets and functions that they're familiar with and are used to including in their website designs. Any interface that automates those repetitive tasks for you isn't "lazy", it's just "efficient".

Dazz

Reaction score
Neither, I did originally start with DW4 but used the split view to learn the code. Now I use Notepad2 and FF to preview the layout if I'm coding however I'm way to lazy for that so I just use Wordpress LOL, it suits the fluid nature of my website and the need to be able to add stuff really fast. I still use Notepad2 to edit any php scripts and the like though.

BTW I recommend Notepad2, its ace and you can get it here (no referal LOL) http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

Last edited: