FTP client for Linux

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an FTP client for Linux?
I need one, but I have no experience with Linux.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Which Linux distribution are you using? There's literally hundreds out there and we can only help if we know exactly which one you're using, otherwise it may not work.

-Luke.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
If you have access to a package manager you should just be able to search for "FTP client". You'll then be presented with a list of all the available ones, and you can choose to have one installed.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
No problem mate, just wanted to know before I started dishing out commands. FileZilla is pretty good, there's a Windows version too so you may have used it previously.

To install it, click Applications > Accessories > Terminal

Now enter the following commands:

Get the latest package lists:
Code:
sudo aptitude update

Update all the currently installed packages:
Code:
sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

Now install FileZilla:
Code:
sudo aptitude install filezilla

If you'd prefer another client, just ask. I'm pretty sure though that once you get used to FileZilla you'll like it.

hopper

Reaction score
if you have a modern copy of kde, konqueror would work, it gives a file manager ftp interface similar to doing ftp with windows explorer
i also like axyftp ( http://www.wxftp.seul.org/ )

deadimp

Reaction score
There's several different ways to install packages on Debian based systems (Ubuntu is one).
You can use it from the command line as tnl2k7 said with apt-get / aptitude, use the terminal interface in aptitude (just run `sudo aptitude`), or you can use the package management GUIs.

If you have the normal flavor of Ubuntu (using GNOME), you can go to Application > Add/Remove... > Internet > FileZilla, check the box, and install.

Alternatively, you can load up Synaptic (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager) and look for filezilla in the package list.
[If you focus on the list widget and start typing, it will automatically scroll to the text that starts with the string you typed - one of the great things about GTK :) ]

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I've installed FileZilla, and it looks just what I wanted. Only problem is: It gives an error every time I try to edit a file.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hello again,

May I just inquire as to which version of Ubuntu you're running? Hardy Heron is the latest version if you've upgraded, it came out yesterday. The release prior to this one was Gutsy, you may be running this one. Or of course a previous release if you've had problems with the latest ones?

I'll try to help you resolve this.

-Luke.

Just justifying my reasons for posting terminal commands and for recommending FileZilla over Konqueror.

@deadimp:
It's generally easier for users to follow commands through the Terminal because they can copy and paste. I've used Linux for about a year and already enough commands to not need a desktop (I run a server in a virtual machine here for testing, everything's done from a command line). Plus, I don't have to type as much and risk the user seeing things in a different language :D.

@hopper:
Unless Alex Mac installed Kubuntu, Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop environment, so as Konqueror is for KDE it wouldn't work for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Alex Mac,

That's your FileZilla version, I was after your Ubuntu version. If you don't know what it is, click 'System > Administration > System Monitor' and it'll tell you on the 'System' tab what version you're using.

I've done some toying around and for some reason setting '/usr/bin/gedit' (which is Ubuntu's text editor) FileZilla still just puts out a system beep.

I'll keep trying others, sorry about the confusion.

-Luke.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Release 7.10 (gutsy)

I gave you the gnome version. Sorry.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Cool.

Don't worry, easy mistake to make. I've just finished my upgrade to 8.04, the latest stable release and Long Term Support edition, so I'm not sure exactly how I did it.

I think I went into Edit > Settings > File editing and typing
Code:
/usr/bin/gedit
into the box for Default editor.

Click OK and you shouldn't have any problems afterwards.

You might need to restart FileZilla for the changes to come into effect.

Sorry if the wording isn't exact, I'm currently unable to get to FileZilla to check it, but this should work.

-Luke.

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
In Edit > Setting there isn't any File editing and typing.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
I meant go to file editing then type:

Code:
/usr/bin/gedit

in the default editor box.

-Luke.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm very confused. Where is file editing?

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hello there,

I made this thread for other users too, please refer to it. If you any more problems please feel free to post here, but keep that thread clean please.

-Luke.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
On the left hand side of the settings dialog is a box with loads of options. I know it's there because I used it earlier. I've attached a screenshot so you could see it.

-Luke

Attachments

• filezilla.png
    filezilla.png
    135.4 KB · Views: 21