ftp file transfer failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlowdr

Reaction score
I set up an X10 hosting site with an FTP address of "phag.x10.bz".
I set up an FTP Account with my account login ID as login and my login password as password to access public_html.

I used Dreamweaver CS6 to define the remote site, but when I clicked the Test button it came up with an error message "Your login or password is incorrect".
Dreamweaver had found the FTP address (a fake address produced a different message), but couldn't connect to the relevant account.
I changed the FTP Account password and retried - the result was the same.

So, I set up a second FTP account with my folder name as login and my login password to access public_html/folder-name.
I tried again - the result was the same.
I changed the FTP Account password and retried - the result was the same.

I downloaded FileZilla and used it on both accounts. On each account, it came up with "331 User login OK. Password required".
So, it had found the FTP account, but it followed with "PASS *******", then "530 Login authentication failed".
It didn't like the account/password combination, or it wasn't being accepted by the firewall.
So, I changed "Maximum Simultaneous Transfers" in FileZilla from the original 2 to 1 to see if that was the reason for the firewall rejection - it didn't help.
So, I changed the account passwords - it didn't help.

I looked at the FAQ and forums to find something relevant and couldn't find anything - which is not to say that the solution to my problem isn't there, somewhere.

I've run out of ideas. I'm probably making a simple error, but I don't see it.
If I can't solve it, I'll have to abandon X10Hosting.com.
Help replies via cPanel would be much appreciated.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

Could you please verify that you are using your domain as the FTP host and using your cPanel details (phagx10b) to login.

Thank you

marlowdr

Reaction score
Dead-I

Thank you for your response. I did reply yesterday, but I fear that my reply may well have disappeared into the electronic ether.
Apologies if you are getting this twice.

To reiterate:

In answering your response:
I first checked X10Hosting and found a high-quality/low-quality tutorial and followed (I thought) its instructions. Mind you, today, I haven't been able to find it again.
However, today, I found an X10Hosting Wiki page (see Wiki attachment) with similar though less-specific instructions and I thought that I've been acting as per its instructions.
I also checked an Internet site "How to configure FileZilla with x10hosting | FTP | Free hosting"" (http://www.vodahost.com/web-hosting...ezilla-with-x10hosting-ftp-free-hosting.html/). Again, I thought that I've been acting as per its instructions.

Under my account "phag.x10.bz", I set up another FTP account for an empty folder "/home/phagx10b/public_html/marketing",
with a login of "marketing" and a password of "judy01".
I initiated FileZilla with a host of "phag.x10.bz" (and a host of ftp.phag.x10b.bz), a username of "marketing", a password of "judy01" and a port of "21".
It failed with a reponse of "331 User marketing OK. Password required", followed by "530 Login authentication failed".
See the Setup attachment - a composite screen print for confirmation.

I might be erring by failing to use "/home/phagx10b" somewhere, but it might be quite another error entirely.
I'm in your hands, Dead-I.

Attachments

• ftpAccountSetup2707.jpg
    ftpAccountSetup2707.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 12
  • ftpAccountSetupWiki.jpg
    ftpAccountSetupWiki.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 5

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Please note that for ftp accounts you create in cPanel you need to use the full username, including the domain part, in your case that would be: marketing@phag.x10b.bz

"530 Login authentication failed" always indicates there's a problem with either username or password, hence login fails.

jakex151

Reaction score
Hello, Marlowdr
I saw your screenshots and for your "Marketing" FTP account you should log-in like this:

FTP Server = Host: ftp.phag.x10.bz
Username: marketing@phag.x10.bz
Password: whatever your password is

I highlighted what you need to enter in one of your screenshots you provided.
Whatever cPanel tells you in Configure FTP Client, you have to copy and paste and log-in that way.

Also please remember this is a FREE host and if you go to another FREE host nobody would even help you. I believe this is a great service and if you don't like it, leave. No one is forcing you to stay and if you want top-class customer service you need to cough up money.

*not a x10hosting staff member*

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    625.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

marlowdr

Reaction score
To Anna and Jakex151: Thank you for your interest, support and explanations of where I was going wrong.

To Jakex151: I assure you that I was not criticising X10Hosting in any way whatsoever and I certainly did not mean to imply anything of the sort. How could I, when I was taking advantage of their support facility to ask for help? I was merely stating my plight - if I couldn't overcome my problems with FTP to transfer my plethora of small files to X10Hosting, I couldn't use X10Hosting.

To Anna and Jakex151: Thank you both. You have jointly solved the problem and we have lift-off, as the composite attachment shows. I am grateful.

Attachments

• ftpSuccess.jpg
    ftpSuccess.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 11
Status
Not open for further replies.