FTP hosting?

warrenware

Reaction score
Do any of the X10 premium hosting services offer FTP hosting?
(i.e. member can set-up username & passwords for others to transfer files) not just website files?

Thanks,
WarrenWare

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
(i.e. member can set-up username & passwords for others to transfer files) not just website files?

Thanks,
WarrenWare

All of our accounts come with FTP, including our free hosting plans. Free hosting accounts can have up to three FTP accounts.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Note that all files on your account need to relate to your site in some way. You may not use it for file hosting.

gomarc

Reaction score
Have you checked the ToS of Paid Hosting and VPS services?

Just in case here are the links:

So as you can see, Paid restricts "Backup Space \ File Storage" so it can’t be that one.

VPS service may be the way to go, but how will you control the hosting of illegal or copyrighted files?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score

Thanks,
WarrenWare

I can't see a use for this that isn't filesharing, legal or otherwise :(

Maybe if you're more specific what you're using it for, we can find another solution

warrenware

Reaction score
I have a consulting service that prepares drawings (residential design) that requires client review and other trades to look at the drawing files for coordination in preparing the construction documents.

The use of FTP would be such that I could upload these files that I prepare so that user accounts that I set up could log in (using IE or some other FTP client) with their username & password to then download those files. The other trades (such as structural wood framing engineers, for example) could then work on their drawings, then upload those back to the FTP site - for my review & coordination.

Yes, in a manner of speaking, you could call it filesharing: but it is more like an efficient workflow.

Would this be allowed?

Thanks

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I would say that it is allowed, but FTP seems a bit extreme. Maybe a PHP script that allows users upload and download privileges. Just for you own sake, I would make it password protected, to avoid abuse. Because the files are legally allowed to be used by you and because they are directly related to the operation of your site, I see no reason why this should be disallowed.

Good thing I asked, eh? :biggrin:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
For the most part, you're best going off with a PHP script which will fetch a particular file for a user of your site as Garret pointed out. There is a Public_ftp folder which you can try to use, though I'm positive anonymous FTP is disabled here at x10Hosting. Besides, FTP can be a messy animal to deal with here at x10Hosting. I have come across times where the FTP server has run out of "Slots" for users, or at times where FTP sessions time out in the middle of a transfer. Also, I have come across a few strict networks that allow nothing except for Port 80 and DNS requests to pass through the network to the Internet.

On the flip side, FTP is probably more reliable than HTTP on the servers. I've never seen a time where FTP has gone down due to someone abusing the server.

Last edited:

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Actually, if it is your own drawings/the drawings you or organization creates...there is no harm having all the drawings or plans you can create up for grabs on that site....since file-shareing is only "illegal" when you take someone elses work and give it to another person while the original author gains nothing....

So...yea choose to use FTP if you wish, or PHP...I would stick with FTP, in my opinion for your type of site...I have a marketing section of one of my corps that uses FTP as their way to share what needs to be shared without much problem. I would stay away from PHP...it depends if you care that something is more complex or easier to use...(less tidious).

Just my opinion...above that, I do not have any professional webhosting/website creation/anything related to this type of stuff...just saying what I believe is true.