Status
Not open for further replies.

rokula

Reaction score
Google wins hands down.
Free POP? Check.
Excellent spam filtering? Check.
Google Apps for your Domain? Check.
Not to mention the huge capacity and the fact that you can open it on any internet capable device with the simplified HTML interface.
As I said, hands down.

nonsensep

Reaction score
I prefer Gmail. I've only recently switched, and already I like it way better. One great thing is being to just type into the address bar "gmail.com", and my mail is right there. Not so easy with AOL.

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Gmail, I've tried others, They dont compare at all with Gmail. AOL, used it for less than a week, and it got like 100's of spam mails. MSN and Yahoo block lots of websites that I WANT to be e-mailed from. G-mail has a great spam filter, and I haven't gotten a single spam mail in my Inbox. I've been using Gmail since the first month of Beta, and will never go back to any other provider.

QueenHawkeye

Reaction score
Gmail, hands down. It has an awesome filter, and it's easy to find old e-mails. I can't/couldn't live without it!

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Gmail of course!! Is there another one?

sclewin

Reaction score
Gmail for sure. Gmail was the first to give out massive amount of disk space and gmail haves the best search feature to search your mail. Gmail also gives you many features that others charge for like POP mail. Gmail is also run from a great company, google, who is very good to their employees and is a well known supporter of the open source community. Google even hired the guy who invented the Python programming language. Out of the four choices given only Yahoo is another decent company.

mlarac

Reaction score
gmail todo el rato simple eficaz y rapido que mas puedes pedir

Singard

Reaction score
Normally I would go for Gmail for all its benefits, however I found myself enjoying and using MSN hotmail much more, thus I cast my vote to MSN.

Coyote21

Reaction score
Well, I only have accounts in gmail and msn (hotmail), so I can judge the other two, but between the one's that I use, gmail is way better, because it simply has an lot of space, and google is more famous between the web users.

krial

Reaction score
Gmail For sure!, I use Gmail for all my site stuff. Filters are so nice on Gmail, even if it's not PERFECT description it still can catch you mail!

Xemnas

Reaction score
Gmail I guess, I never really used the account I had (I already had Bigpond mail) but there were some neato features in there, like redirecting to other emails.

a-a-a

Reaction score
I like gmail.
It's free. Now you don't even need invites to sign up. The space size is huge. I'll never use it all. (Unless I store photos or something)
I like the interface, and searching mail. And the labels, related mails stored together. All the functions are nice. Plus, with an account, I can get other google services.

I don't like the new hotmail interface. And there's no option to change back. :(
Same with Yahoo's, but I don't use yahoo mail at all.

fireput

Reaction score
i love gmail, with its IMAP functionality, they are the winner in the race now.

sirax

Reaction score
MSN its nice, its my first e-mail, but now i prefer gmail =)

gwuapo2007

Reaction score
AOL, account never expires unless you violated there TOS and/or upon cancellation of the account owner. also holds a lot of message in one thread all message are archivable. More professional and has a large file size limit. has own chatting system and using botz is not prohibited, also good security. accepts incoming pop3 with your external account. all of the above you mentioned i think expires after one month of no log-in activity.

arsonistx

Reaction score
I would definately choose Gmail over any other email provider. Honestly, I love the layout and the features are much better than any other email service I've seen. :)

thephoenics

Reaction score
GMail Rocks !!!

Yahoo! Mail vs GMail vs Windows Live Mail

The 2007 e-mail shootout - GMail vs Windows Live Mail vs Yahoo! Mail Beta - Which web based email is right for you ?

Are you ready for the state of the art, next generation email services which are very comparable to your desktop clients (Microsoft Outlook or its free brother Outlook Express or Mozilla's Thunderbird)? If yes, then you have few choices.

This review of three major free web-based email services will hopefully help you decide which one to go with.

We are talking about, Yahoo Mail Beta (YMB, an upgrade to your yahoo account), Gmail (web-based email service from Google) and Windows Live Mail Beta(WLMB, an upgrade to your existing Hotmail and MSN e-mail accounts).

We will evaluate them based on a set of parameters and see which one excels.

User Interface - Yahoo Mail Beta has probably the neatest interface which gives a non-cluttered look and feel. Their multi-tab view feature makes it very convenient for a user to stay on the same page.

Both Gmail and Windows Live mail lack this feature. Infact, Gmail has the most basic text interface and does not use icons which may help end users easily associate with actions like Reply, Forward, etc. [Winner: Yahoo]

Spam Controls - The spam control filters in Gmail and Yahoo Mail Beta seem to be more efficient than those in Windows Live Mail. But despite all the rules, all these services are found to mark genuine emails as spam so make sure that you check your spam folder at regular periods. [Winner: Gmail]

Storage Space - GMail offers more than 2 GB of storage space which is continuously increasing while Yahoo Mail Beta and Windows Live Mail both provide just 1 GB of storage space. All three email services let you send email attachments up to 10 MB in size. [Winner: GMail]

[If you want more space, try Lycos - it offers 3 GB of storage space and they have removed all restrictions on the email attachment size.]

Speed - In terms of response to user actions and speed of loading, Gmail's AJAX interface is the fastest and then comes Yahoo followed by Windows Live mail. Infact, the AJAX implementation of Windows Live Mail seems to have some bugs and many a times you get a message saying "Working on your request" but nothing really happens. [Winner: GMail]

Advertisements - Both Yahoo and Windows Live Mail have banner advertisements. Gmail has contextual advertising based on the content of your email. The ad placements are non-intrusive and sometimes even help in getting additional information. [Winner: GMail]

Hotmail vs Gmail vs Yahoo! Mail

And here's a list of additional features that are found in one email service but missing in others:

» All email services provide support for sending email in rich text format thought Gmail does not have support emoticons and smileys.

» Windows Live Mail and Gmail let you send email using another email addresses but Yahoo Mail Beta does not.

» With Windows Live Mail, you can flag flag messages as "High Importance" and "Low Importance". Gmail has a similar feature where can star a message.

» Only GMail provides you POP access to access your email messages from a client like Outlook or Thunderbird.

» Only GMail lets you forward emails automatically to another email account.

» Yahoo, Gmail and Windows Live Mail integrate well with their corresponding messenger clients but Gmail provides their messenger even in their web-based email client.

» Yahoo and Windows Live Mail support folders but Gmail has taken a different route, it supports "labels". This allows end user to apply multiple tags to a single message. With folders you are restricted to putting messages in only one folder

» Google Mail can scan your email and automatically suggest events for adding to the Google Calendar. Yahoo Mail shows up any important events for current date from the Yahoo! calendar which is really useful.

» You can open Word/Excel documents received, as attachment, directly in GMail using Google Docs and Spreadsheets. Gmail also provides the ability to view PDF, Word or Excel spreadsheets as text HTML. This feature is useful on machines which do not have Microsoft Word/Excel/Acrobat Reader installed locally or the attachment is too large for downloading.

» Gmail provides a threaded view of the email correspondence, which allows user to keep track of entire conversation. The email conversation can be updated even while the message is open.

Final Thoughts - Although all three email providers have significantly spruced up the email offerings, Yahoo and Gmail are definitely better products.

Yahoo has the best interface - simple, elegant, very easy to use and resembles your desktop software. Like Outlook, you can preview message in the lower third pane without leaving the Inbox view. You can drag and drop messages into folders, messages open as tabs in the same window plus there's an integrated RSS reader that's connected to your MyYahoo! account. Very impressive overall.

Gmail has a simple no-frills interface but offers loads of storage, excellent search capabilities, seamless integration with Google Docs, POP access and powerful labels. This is for geeks and power users.

zeldaprajihd45

Reaction score
Well I like google apps best it is gmail with your domain name instead of @gmail you get @mackintosh.us.mi where mackintosh.us.mi is your domain

Status
Not open for further replies.