Honors Geometry Fractal Project

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, I finally finished what's been keeping me so long! I've spend 18 hours on this and it's finally done!

1002791.jpg

1002794.jpg

1002793.jpg

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
No, it started as a huge poster board of a pentagon, then the diagonals drawn, then the diagonals of the inside the pentagon which the first diagonals made, continued 4 times, it ends up making that if you cut out each similar/congruent triangle.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
C'mon adam, don't you know simple Geometry?

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It looks awesome. Very nice. 18 hrs. Man you have lot of Patience.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Haha, if I didn't care about my grades I wouldn't have done it.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
C'mon adam, don't you know simple Geometry?

I don't think knowing geometry involves realizing a huge shape was made with diagonals from a single large sheet of paper. -__-

I never made one of those when I took geometry class.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I took Geometry last year. Nothing like this ever was for extra credit. It was usually a "good will" thing to do when you're bored. Extra Credit last year for Geometry was doing some math problems or taking some bonus questions on a test.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
This wasn't extra credit, but I wish it was :p

azntechguy

Reaction score
Looks good!

Definitely something that requires some patience (heck, even if you make a similar looking image on Photoshop without automated plug-ins)

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
Nice. I took Geo last year. But for our project, we had to make a proportional object 5:1 ratio. I did a box of gum =D

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Haha, that would be pretty easy. So far in there, I've had to:

• Write a research paper on a famous mathematician, I did Newton (published here if anybody's interested - actually a really simple paper).
  • Make a mobile, perfectly balanced.
  • Fractal project

We have another project coming up but I have no idea what it's about.

Last edited:

nexhunter

Reaction score
Luckies I never got to have fun in geometry we just kept preparing for MCAS and then the dreaded triangles with simple trig functions.

fractalfeline

Reaction score
Sounds like a fun yet tedious project :) :)

Now what's really fun (and tedious) is using a page of engineering graph paper to hand draw L-systems.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Luckies I never got to have fun in geometry we just kept preparing for MCAS and then the dreaded triangles with simple trig functions.

I actually really like the Trigonometry functions. :)

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You got a 93 on it...good work...this is what I think...

Tell you teacher, to stay away from friends, for a week straight! Then tell your teacher to buy the materials to make it...then tell your teacher to actually make it...tell her that she only deserves a 93...

Then tell the teacher to think about, how it might have made her feel to try sooo hard to make it and only receive a 93...

and then tell her that John Klyne, says and I quote "You, Mrs? or Mr? are a person I pity." Tell her I said, I pity her or him because, lets say...you did notshow up to class the next day, or the next, or the next...

tell her to make believe the reason you didn't show up to class was because your brains were blown all over the ground... Tell your teacher I pity her, because she did not appreciate what she had coming from people around him or her...then tell her to think of the grade she would have given you if she found that your brains were blown to the ground the next day in school.

That is a real life example, of what has happened, to a student of mine.

I would personally love it, if you can just print this message...and show it to your teacher...tell her to not be offended. Then tell her how it made her feel, I know I felt like ****, and started tearing when the kids parents showed up to school to tell us what had happened. Tell your teacher I started tearing when I wrote this message.

Tell your teacher that if I had a chance to go back in time and give that student the appreciation he really deserved I would cherish the last moment I would have seen the kid in.

That is how I feel, you jtwhite, deserve all the A's in the world.

Last edited: