how do i run this VPS? i cannot connect to remote desktop connnection with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

serenexx

Reaction score
i have bought the 18.95$ vps, and i cannot access it via remote desktop connection (yes i have remote access activated) is it to do with the fact im using CentOS 5.5 (32-bit)?

i'm trying to host a game server on it, and i am not aware how to use the linux thing, as i do not own a linux pc.

is there a way to change the
CentOS 5.5 (32-bit), or am i doing something wrong with the remote desktop conneciton?

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello,

Unfortunately I think the "Remote Desktop Connection" software is designed for connecting to Windows servers rather than Linux. However, there may be another CentOS-compatible piece of software that you could use (possibly GNOME, I'm not sure since I don't have experience in this)

However, since you are trying to host a gameserver, you might not even need to have a remote GUI.
Instead, you can run commands on your server via SSH. What type of gameserver are you intending on running? There is probably some Linux installation instructions somewhere on the web.

serenexx

Reaction score
and i notice there is no refund policy.

i'm trying to run a RSPS- people say they are illegal, infact they are not! Jagex have stated that as long as no commercial profit comes out of it, there is no harm~

I need to upload the server files to something, and i dont know what commands to run :/

ps, is there a way to change my linux operating system vps to a windows compatible one then?

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
We do not offer Windows as an OS choice at this time.

I would suggest searching Google for tutorials as there are hundreds for pretty much anything you can think of.

For example "Installing web server CentOS" would return a great number of results with step by step instructions on how to install a web server.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
and i notice there is no refund policy.

i'm trying to run a RSPS- people say they are illegal, infact they are not! Jagex have stated that as long as no commercial profit comes out of it, there is no harm~

I need to upload the server files to something, and i dont know what commands to run :/

ps, is there a way to change my linux operating system vps to a windows compatible one then?

As someone who's hosted RSPS's - yes, they're illegal. They violate JaGEx's IP rights.

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
Can I just ask where you saw about Jagex allowing RSPSes provided they make no profit?

rblxdevx

Reaction score
Can I just ask where you saw about Jagex allowing RSPSes provided they make no profit?

I don't remember Jagex saying that it's legal at all.
They've taken down servers that haven't made any profits at all, also.

As for the connection:
I think you need to install a GUI, if there already is one just install a VNC server.

If you don't already have a GUI, you've gotta set up VNC server.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure x10 doesn't allow game servers to run.

Last edited:

chenbeng

Reaction score
Only the Windows vps can use "Remote Desktop Connection", Linux is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.