How do I start building a website? I'm stuck in this forum site.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
With Google hosting? First start by learning either Java, Clojure or Python, then download the Google App Engine documentation and SDK, then build a site that works locally. Sign up for a Google AppEngine account. Then open the Google AppEngine Launcher and hit the deploy button and follow the instructions.

Or you can build a more conventional site here at x10Hosting by signing up for a Free Hosting account. You can use the simple sitebuilder application to create a simple web site if you have no experience, or you can install one of the content management systems (website frameworks) that are available via the CPanel site management application. If you know how to create a site using HTML and/or PHP, then you can build and test the site on your local machine (preferably using a web server, like WAMP Server on a Windows machine) and upload your files using the Upload Manager on your account CPanel. (Most other hosts offer a similar package for installing and/or managing your site.)

As for being on Google, well, you can submit your site for indexing -- and Google gives you some excellent tools and guidelines for getting the most out of their service. You can make your site easier to find by having other sites link to it as well -- the Google indexing robot will follow links from the sites it already indexes to the sites they link to.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
How do I get a google website. I want to build a webiste. How do I do that with google hosting?

1. first set up a google account. It's free and only takes a minute.
2. go here https://sites.google.com/ then follow instructions.

Building the site.

Google uses both a web based WYSIWYG [what-you-see-is-what-you-get] editor for complete novices. Very very basic and simple to use, so you could have your first web page online for the world to see in under an hour.

As Essellar points out there are more advanced programming languages and features available, however the learning curve is very steep for beginners. For something in between there is allways the X10 site builder.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Glad to see 2 people trying to help you...

I've tried google hosting......I still like x10hosting.com hosting more...I think it's an easier signup process...and gives me some better benefits...I didn't even need to read a signup manual, or ask how to register... :)

Why go to something complicated, when you can just do just as well or better, with a company like x10hosting...

Google's job they do best is search engines related and advertising....x10hostings job, is hosting sites......I'll let you choose who's more qualified.

Last edited:

strawberriesnomore

Reaction score
I took your advice and tried to sign up but the site does not allow me to do so. This site is absurd, if I click signup the page errors out with an FTP error, if I try to enter a username from the main page nothing happens, the page just sits there after I hit next. I've tried many different option to sign up, the only thing I can sign up for is the forums, which you apparently need since sign up is nearly impossible. How can I sign up and start building a website.

hesipp

Reaction score
Are you friggin nuts essellar? "Learn java" like its an easy thing...

I personally say go to www.w3schools.com and learn html, maybe a bit of PHP and make a site on here.

And he's wrong btw. Its sites.google.com :shifty: