How old are you?

How old are you?

• Total voters

gaptrast

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a long time wondered: How old is the members of x10hosting including moderators?

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know what your poll will show, but I'm pretty sure we run the gamut age-wise. When I was able to click the 25-34 category, there was no Web in any real sense (Sir Tim's NeXT was the only web server at the time). It sounded interesting, though, so I took the HTML spec (there were so-o-o few tags in those days) and began converting our local tech library before I'd gotten a browser mailed to me on a floppy (which took less time than downloading it would have at the time -- 1200 baud was what it said on the outside of the Hayes modem box, but 300 bits per second was much more likely in real-world terms). Hypertext links in running text? Just click and go there? That sure beat Veronica + Gopher, not to mention blowing our Director-based CD-ROMs (which we needed to have commercially mastered for distribution) out of the water.

Things have changed an awful lot over the years. In the early days, there wasn't much for anybody who wasn't a techie or into serious research. Now there is a way to produce, publish and consume just about anything imaginable without having to know what's going on under the hood. Anybody with something to say can have a voice if they want one, and places like this mean that the last remaining barrier to entry -- cost -- is also becoming a thing of the past. Now if we could just get rid of the proxy twerps and let people know that there is blogging software that isn't Wordpress...

Brandon

Former Senior Account Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
18 over here. @esselar: That sounds like it was a forever ago!

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know what your poll will show, but I'm pretty sure we run the gamut age-wise. When I was able to click the 25-34 category, there was no Web in any real sense (Sir Tim's NeXT was the only web server at the time). It sounded interesting, though, so I took the HTML spec (there were so-o-o few tags in those days) and began converting our local tech library before I'd gotten a browser mailed to me on a floppy (which took less time than downloading it would have at the time -- 1200 baud was what it said on the outside of the Hayes modem box, but 300 bits per second was much more likely in real-world terms). Hypertext links in running text? Just click and go there? That sure beat Veronica + Gopher, not to mention blowing our Director-based CD-ROMs (which we needed to have commercially mastered for distribution) out of the water.

Things have changed an awful lot over the years. In the early days, there wasn't much for anybody who wasn't a techie or into serious research. Now there is a way to produce, publish and consume just about anything imaginable without having to know what's going on under the hood. Anybody with something to say can have a voice if they want one, and places like this mean that the last remaining barrier to entry -- cost -- is also becoming a thing of the past. Now if we could just get rid of the proxy twerps and let people know that there is blogging software that isn't Wordpress...

CD-ROM's?? It's like you were from the future... Our first proper computer that I can remember had a 5¼-inch floppy drive and no hard drive.

I say this as I'm typing on something with a full colour display with a touchscreen that is many many times quicker and fits in one hand...and yet still annoys the he'll out of me -- fat thumbs miss the virtual keys...

But there hasn't really been anything revolutionary since the first computers -- it's still a keyboard and mouse, although on a small number of devices the keyboard is onscreen and the system interprets the touch display as a mouse. Who knows what's next. Mainstream adoption of technologies designed for disabilities or military use, such as interpreting where you look?

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
My first (a MIPS Altair) used a surplus teletype and punched paper tape for non-volatile storage, although I used Electrographic Hollerith cards to run Fortran 4 on the local university's computer when I was in high school. I also fondly (not really) remember carefully adjusting the volume of the cassette recorder attached to a TI 99/4A before I sprang for the expansion box and dual 5-1/4s (single-sided, single density). The CD-ROMs were for the Canadian military and, well, we had a larger budget than most mom-and-pop setups.

rlodge

Reaction score
47 tomorrow. Looking at the poll, I don't feel like the only "old man" on here.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
47 tomorrow. Looking at the poll, I don't feel like the only "old man" on here.
I have you beat by 3 years and I do not feel like an "old man" in any way.
Happy birthday and a big Texas howdy from the "big city" of Calf Creek Texas.

FreedomForAll

Reaction score
Under 18... I find it frustrating that so-called "adults" think that they know more than you because you are younger than them. Just because they're older, doesn't mean they know everything. In many cases I know more than them about the web and computers. Oh well.

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
22 here. @tman111447 I don't think that I know more than people younger than me unless it's about PCs. Well, I am a head IT Technician for a school... it's a great job :)

gaptrast

Reaction score
i'm under 18 (actually 13, nearly 14) and the worst of beiing young is that you can not use credit cards to buy things online!

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Last birthday I passed the 35 marker :/ Have had a few aha moments realizing I'm getting older, but don't really feel old.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Ah -- the inexplicable pain in the knee from an old injury you don't remember actually suffering comes as a prezzy on your thirty-sixth birthday, you see. (And you should be thankful that you're not hormonally equipped to have that "where the heck did that come from" twenty-two-inch ear hair that sprouts over the course of a single night around year forty.)

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm under 18

Should this be in crossfire? It's not really a debate.

~Callum

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think I messed up what I choose, I think I choose 18...I bet I'm older than anyone in this entire forum, hehe maybe out of everyone using x10hosting services.

And to the thread starter I feel disrespected, everywhere I go, polls or registrations to things the age always ends at 65+

Why not 85+???? I bet all the kids these days don't understand we elders feel disrespected, when everyone expects we all drop dead at the age of 65...

This thread disgusts me. This is honestly the 2nd time today that the age for anything anywhere that you can select or choose when filling out posts or polls or forms always goes up to 65 and thats it...

People think, ow add a + sign for the elders "Their idiots, they don't even see straight! Let alone know which numbers they are choosing when filling anything up."

Today, I was filling out a form, the lady called me Grandpa! What is this world coming to these days? The complete lack of respect for Elders by people these days is outrageous. Too bad we can't chase you around town anymore buckoes! Skip my house for Halloween next year kids I'm keeping the candy for myself, yes my teeth are wrotten but I bet you won't have any when your my age!!!!$!$

Last edited:

gaptrast

Reaction score
I think I messed up what I choose, I think I choose 18...I bet I'm older than anyone in this entire forum, hehe maybe out of everyone using x10hosting services.

And to the thread starter I feel disrespected, everywhere I go, polls or registrations to things the age always ends at 65+

Why not 85+???? I bet all the kids these days don't understand we elders feel disrespected, when everyone expects we all drop dead at the age of 65...

This thread disgusts me. This is honestly the 2nd time today that the age for anything anywhere that you can select or choose when filling out posts or polls or forms always goes up to 65 and thats it...

People think, ow add a + sign for the elders "Their idiots, they don't even see straight! Let alone know which numbers they are choosing when filling anything up."

Today, I was filling out a form, the lady called me Grandpa! What is this world coming to these days? The complete lack of respect for Elders by people these days is outrageous. Too bad we can't chase you around town anymore buckoes! Skip my house for Halloween next year kids I'm keeping the candy for myself, yes my teeth are wrotten but I bet you won't have any when your my age!!!!$!$

Sorry John...
I actually got the ages from my adwords account (something like age targeting).

If I could edit the poll I would have written something like this:

-Under 50
-50-60
-60-70
-70-80
-80-90
-100-200

Last edited:

whitebus

Reaction score
our highschool was cutting edge, as i entered grade nine they had just replaced the radio shack trs80's with unisys icon's with trackballs... like a big upside down mouse as part of the base, ditto for the keyboard. i was already used to the 1200 baud transfer rate, because i got a modem from my c64 at home and was browsing local bbs's in waterloo.
pong was hours of fun, but the ultimate was combat on my atari 2600!
surely, not the oldest one here, and i was a late starter not having taken an interest in puters til '82. i had many friends that knew more about them than me. :) (of course, now those same friends are coming to me for repairs)

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Um -- if you find any golf balls in that river with grassy patches that they call the Conestoga Golf and Country Club that look like they're from around 1985, they're mine. Just sayin'.