Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 running at 3.3ghz
4 gb PC2 8500 RAM (Corsair XMS2)
4 SATA HD's totaling 1.2 TB
Dual Samsung Syncmaster 2233BW 22" LCD's
2 - Samsung DVD-RW's
Galaxy GeForce 8600GT video card

MarioMaster

Reaction score
I share a Mac Mini with my little brother. It's about a year old. I'd really like to have my own computer, but my old one was made before I was even born (it was my dad's employee's old one)! It didn't even have an Airport card installed. :p

the_site

Reaction score
4 years old
Needless to say its an Inspiron 2200

[Might as well call her old faithful]

Hauzer

Reaction score
4 years old. This year, I've totally upgraded it to the maximum performance the motherboard can take (except for RAM).

Intel(R) Pentium 4 1MB Cache - 2.8GHz
1280MB RAM (1024 + 256)
Leadtek Winfast A400TDH nVIDIA 6800.

merrillmck

Reaction score
I have a 1.5 year old desktop ($400) and a 3-4 month old laptop ($700).

I tend to buy frequently and buy low end. I imagine my $400 desktop will outperform a $2000 4-5 year old desktop. The only reason I spent $700 on my laptop was b/c I was bent on getting a 6-7 hour battery life. I hate being tied to an outlet.

igames

Reaction score
4.5 year old toshiba satellite L35-S2174, got 1.5GB of ram, intel celeron M( 1.6Ghz), new LCD screen and 8cell battery, dual boot with windows XP SP3 and Windows 7(try it out=]), 60GB(5400 rpm), 1 TB external hard drive, ATI Radeon Xpress series graphics.

Yea my computer is old and out of date, dont have money to buy a new one =(

arcantium

Reaction score
too damn old!

it turned 3 a few weeks ago, and has gone through 3 CPUs (Started at 3.0, then 2.4, now 1.8! Its gotten worse!) Fried approx 1.1 512MB RAM sticks (killed one of them, and the second one is partially faulty! (like, if anything tries to use a certain segment of ram, the whole computer crashes!)) and lastly, my monitor seems to have lost control of itself! The controls to change the shape of the image, are now in control of the monitor! If it feels to tired to stretch my image across the whole screen, it will just lazily let it collapse inwards! Of course, im still able to whack it into shape! (Punch = Fix)

Hauzer

Reaction score
Whoa arcantium,

What's with your computer? I've had mine for 4 years, nearly 5 and seems to work very perfectly. I've upgraded the processor once, the RAM twice and added a graphics card and also upgraded the DVD drive and seems very stable.

It all works perfect, no problems. I upgraded not because it wasn't working, but because of better performance.

zen-r

Reaction score
too damn old!

it turned 3 a few weeks ago, and has gone through 3 CPUs (Started at 3.0, then 2.4, now 1.8! Its gotten worse!) Fried approx 1.1 512MB RAM sticks (killed one of them, and the second one is partially faulty! (like, if anything tries to use a certain segment of ram, the whole computer crashes!)) and lastly, my monitor seems to have lost control of itself! The controls to change the shape of the image, are now in control of the monitor! If it feels to tired to stretch my image across the whole screen, it will just lazily let it collapse inwards! Of course, im still able to whack it into shape! (Punch = Fix)

Having watched the Terminator films, I am now educated enough to be able to detect the warning signs here.

Clearly this is the start of your machine rising up against you.

I would recommend that you lock your PC in a strong cage and STAND WELL BACK. ;)

I had an old CRT monitor several years back which behaved as you are describing. The centre of the image would collapse inwards into an hour glass shape. I had to give it a swift bang on the side, on a more & more regular basis.

Eventually there was only one thing I could really do, & sadly I had to have the monitor put to sleep. It was the kindest thing.

danprobo

Reaction score
too damn old!

I found an old computer in my Dad warehouse (i think more than 10 year old), after clean and fix some part, then i try to installl WinXP SP2 on it, and all work fine except the monitor and drivers (i use my monitor when installed the OS).

For monitor maybe i must do like you do on your monitor (punch = fix or maybe kick = fix. Ya i hope not buy = fix).

I dont have the driver for SIS chipset and the sound card, so the PC is totally silent now, in this case i dont agree about "silent is golden" :biggrin:

Already found the drivers on internet, and the download is in progress :lol:

Proc: VIA 1.3 Giga Pro (800 Mhz)
Chipset: SIS 5595
Soundcard: CMI8738
RAM: SDR 128Mb

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I found an old computer in my Dad warehouse (i think more than 10 year old), after clean and fix some part, then i try to installl WinXP SP2 on it, and all work fine except the monitor and drivers (i use my monitor when installed the OS).

For monitor maybe i must do like you do on your monitor (punch = fix or maybe kick = fix. Ya i hope not buy = fix).

I dont have the driver for SIS chipset and the sound card, so the PC is totally silent now, in this case i dont agree about "silent is golden" :biggrin:

Already found the drivers on internet, and the download is in progress :lol:

Proc: VIA 1.3 Giga Pro (800 Mhz)
Chipset: SIS 5595
Soundcard: CMI8738
RAM: SDR 128Mb

Won't a Generic Windows Driver work? The SiS cards are very, very basic cards.

danprobo

Reaction score
Won't a Generic Windows Driver work? The SiS cards are very, very basic cards.

The Generic Windows Driver is work fine, just try the driver from the vendor, sometimes driver that came from the vendor more powerfull then the generic windows driver isnt it?

Condition from proc to mobo is still great, but its very slow, maybe i should install linux or win'98 for better perfomance.

sovietneko

Reaction score
She's just over a year old now, and still works perfectly. My laptop's like 6 months old.