how to create game server

xPlozion

Reaction score
sorry, but this is in the wrong section. this would have either gone into computers & technology or gamers lounge (preferably the lounge)

to answer your question, no. i don't set them up, i just play in them ;)

Last edited:

Mitch

Reaction score
I moved it to Gamer's Lounge. (this forum is for forum games)

With all call of duty games you can start the server with the game it self and then you need to open a port (else people can join your server / they don't even see your server )

Parsa44

Reaction score
I suggest you rent out a server, most good ones go for $10 per mounth. However they do have around 3 mounth free trail, google is your freind. Use it!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
hello all any one know to create game server etc dota

I can help you make a game server. Here's a few things we need to check before we make it.

1: Does your router/modem for your connection have NAT (Network Address Translation)? You can find this out by logging into the device and seeing if it supports Port Forwarding as well as Universal Plug-and-Play (UPnP), as well as DMZ. If so, we'll need to do some port forwarding.

2: Do you have a computer that will have enough resources to handle a server?

3: What is your connection speed? Each player connected to the server will take at least 4KB/s (32kbps) of upload bandwidth, and roughly 1KB/s (8kbps) of download bandwidth. Go to www.speedtest.net or your preferred speed test site and post up the results.

4: Do you have the server files for the game you want to run a server on, or do you know how to set up a listen server/port forward? Or better yet, what game do you want to set up a server with?

Post up the info in this topic and one of us can surely help out.

warlordste

Reaction score
please do not relate this to a private game server beacuse without there copyright permisions of the the creator of the game it can be classed as breaking the law and i will have to close the therd thanks

xPlozion

Reaction score
please do not relate this to a private game server beacuse without there copyright permisions of the the creator of the game it can be classed as breaking the law and i will have to close the therd thanks
i'm not trying to say that you're wrong or anything, but I'm curious how posting information on how-to set up a private server would be classified as copyright infringement?

if you're talking about "cracked" servers for games that use illegal keys or for games such as WoW so you don't have to pay the monthly fee, then that's a different story, but there's tons of legal private game servers out there for legal purposes, such as clan matches and the like.

Last edited:

Wizet

Reaction score
Its doesn't matter for example top rated MMORPG games such as "MapleStory" and "Gunbound" servers are considered illegal, don't know much about Gunbound servers but MapleStory servers are 100% no no. You can be sued $250,000 plus up to 5 years in prison. So this is considered under copyright infringement and I think that this thread should be closed in order from creating anymore trouble.

~Matthew

thesims3mods

Reaction score
why should this thread be closed just because there are a few types of game servers that are illegal? There is a whole load of game servers that are not illegal. Heck I am making a commercial MMO using a open source game server and adding my own things to the server. Is that illegal? I don't think so! There is no mention here of what kind of game server he is talking about.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
if you're talking about "cracked" servers for games that use illegal keys or for games such as WoW so you don't have to pay the monthly fee, then that's a different story, but there's tons of legal private game servers out there for legal purposes, such as clan matches and the like.

even with that, many people don't really know the "real" answer to it being illegal.... I read somewhere, having a private wow server is 100% LEGAL as long as the people running/managing/being a gm on the server are not getting money out of it.

so...if they are being paid...then it is illegal, if they are not getting paid....100% legal....read the article about 8 months ago. I know from that article though that it is legal to have a WoW private server as long as the people who manage it do not make money to stuff their faces in food with.

mamin86

Reaction score
I can help you make a game server. Here's a few things we need to check before we make it.

1: Does your router/modem for your connection have NAT (Network Address Translation)? You can find this out by logging into the device and seeing if it supports Port Forwarding as well as Universal Plug-and-Play (UPnP), as well as DMZ. If so, we'll need to do some port forwarding.

2: Do you have a computer that will have enough resources to handle a server?

3: What is your connection speed? Each player connected to the server will take at least 4KB/s (32kbps) of upload bandwidth, and roughly 1KB/s (8kbps) of download bandwidth. Go to www.speedtest.net or your preferred speed test site and post up the results.

4: Do you have the server files for the game you want to run a server on, or do you know how to set up a listen server/port forward? Or better yet, what game do you want to set up a server with?

Post up the info in this topic and one of us can surely help out.
ok nice info

Blazer9131

Reaction score
Every game has its own unique server.. And Each server has its own setup. Some you have to compile, some you have to just run, config, etc.

Please post what type of server you wana run, and I'll help you out more..

~Blaze

warlordste

Reaction score
i am not on about setting up a game server for clan perposes i am on about your second about marble story and other games like this have you thought about shearching for a tut on the type of game server your trying you set up?