How to edit Wordpress Themes?

cr2112

Reaction score
Is there any Free software which can be used to create and edit Wordpress Themes?

I have a few free templates which i would like to improvise!!

Thanks In Advance

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no software specifically designed to work with wordpress, but the templates consists of php files, so any php editor would do the trick.

I have worked on my wordpress themes in notepad++ which has worked well for me.

cr2112

Reaction score
There's no software specifically designed to work with wordpress, but the templates consists of php files, so any php editor would do the trick.

I have worked on my wordpress themes in notepad++ which has worked well for me.

So, how abt the designs then? Isnt there any way to edit the designs as well?

techairlines

x10 Flyer
Community Support
Reaction score
So, how abt the designs then? Isnt there any way to edit the designs as well?

You can try using a regular web design program like Dreamweaver or Nvu to code the designs then refer to the Wordpress Codex for Wordpress PHP tags to convert a regular web design to a wordpress compatible one.

Last edited:

jayuk666

Reaction score
So it is lol never realised! A friend gave it to me on my MAC so didn't download it via site.

My apologies. Do they provide a trial?

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, the best tool right know is new Dreamweaver CS5. It now has full support for CMS solutions but guess what, it's not free (not even near) :)

On the other hand you can always get a free template that has similar layout to one you are trying to make. Change is a little in PHP editor and then customize the design by working with CSS. That's the technique I used a lot. Then, when you have several of your own layouts than you can make wireframes and just make CSS for different designs.