HTML code that crashes IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

qjqqyy

Reaction score
i made my site, it looked VERY NICE, until i view it in that crappy IE.
So i hate IE
anyone willing to send me a code snippet that crashes Internet Exploder?
preferably IE7 or 8

zen-r

Reaction score
You may get in trouble for deliberately crashing people's browsers.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm virtually speechless. It's people like you who shouldn't be allowed to even own a computer, let alone go on the internet. Grow up and stop being a prat.
It's Internet Explorer, by the way.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
So i hate IE
preferably IE7 or 8

I'm virtually speechless. It's people like you who shouldn't be allowed to even own a computer, let alone go on the internet. Grow up and stop being a prat.
It's Internet Explorer, by the way.
We accept the fact that IE is crappy. We accept the fact that it seems hard for Microsoft to follow standards. This is why we suggest and recommend alternatives such as Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc. However, we do not want IE to crash or to die. We want it to simply follow standards. Get mature: IE is a fatality of life, you can't avoid it.

Oh and BTW, your site probably doesn't have much traffic so if you include a code to crash IE, it will have for only effect that your site will have even less traffic.

merrillmck

Reaction score
So i hate IE
preferably IE7 or 8

Can we see a link to your site and source code? Maybe the error is on your side.

fguy64

Reaction score
We accept the fact that IE is crappy. We accept the fact that it seems hard for Microsoft to follow standards. This is why we suggest and recommend alternatives such as Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc. However, we do not want IE to crash or to die. We want it to simply follow standards. Get mature: IE is a fatality of life, you can't avoid it.

Oh and BTW, your site probably doesn't have much traffic so if you include a code to crash IE, it will have for only effect that your site will have even less traffic.

For MS, if it true, then it is intentional. They are not dummies. If anything, they don't want to be following standards, they want to be creating and setting them. Not following standards is as much a marketing ploy as anything else. It's a way to differentiate themselves from the competition. They want to be the standard. As far as I can see though, it really looks like IE is fighting a losing battle in the browser wars. It may still be dominant, but it loses more ground every day.

xav0989

Community Support
Reaction score
For MS, if it true, then it is intentional. They are not dummies. If anything, they don't want to be following standards, they want to be creating and setting them. Not following standards is as much a marketing ploy as anything else. It's a way to differentiate themselves from the competition. They want to be the standard. As far as I can see though, it really looks like IE is fighting a losing battle in the browser wars. It may still be dominant, but it loses more ground every day.

Well the W3C is already setting the standards... since some time now. Microsoft should have seen that W3C was the governing body in the terms of internet standards....
Oh I forgot, actually Microsoft uses standards to create it's own standards. What I mean? Well, simply look at the new docx files. They are simply zip files, renamed. Inside there's a bunch of xml files. So, Microsoft used a standard, xmlns (XML NameSpaces) to try to create a new standard (docx).

Gee, you should be more patient and try to improve your skills. Besides, I think you should take a look at this site: http://dowebsitesneedtolookexactlythesameineverybrowser.com/
Don't know where you found this one, but it's great!

fguy64

Reaction score
...Well the W3C is already setting the standards... since some time now. Microsoft should have seen that W3C was the governing body in the terms of internet standards....

Well yeah, I was implying something like that, and that's what I'd like to see, but that kind of begs the question doesn't it?

Anyways, if Microsoft was really interested in toeing the line, then they wouldn't have found themselves embroiled in all that antitrust stuff a few years back.

regards.

zen-r

Reaction score
It's amazing how much discussion that one stupid post at the start of this thread can actually generate!

..... Besides, I think you should take a look at this site: http://dowebsitesneedtolookexactlythesameineverybrowser.com/

.......Don't know where you found this one, but it's great!

On the subject of sites like that, it's funny how many people go to the trouble of registering websites simply for the purpose of sticking 1 or 2 words in front of you.

Here's another site I came across (if someone could code it to actually perform the dirty deed as well, that would be excellent!!) ;

http://youarebanned.co.uk/

fguy64

Reaction score
heh heh, dollars to donuts says Microsoft already has half an eye on this thread.

jmcgowan

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but technically none of the major browsers are truly following the standards. The current standard is XHTML Strict. However, because the browsers refuse to support it, W3C created XHTML Transitional as a compromise, and even then support for XHTML Transitional is not at 100% yet, and W3C is preparing to release XHTML 2.0, which of course will not be fully supported by any of the major browsers, which will likely prompt an XHTML 2.0 Transitional or something just as sketchy...

All this to say - MS is about on par with everyone else as far as standards go. Now, security vulnerabilities... that's another story

xav0989

Community Support
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but technically none of the major browsers are truly following the standards. The current standard is XHTML Strict. However, because the browsers refuse to support it, W3C created XHTML Transitional as a compromise, and even then support for XHTML Transitional is not at 100% yet, and W3C is preparing to release XHTML 2.0, which of course will not be fully supported by any of the major browsers, which will likely prompt an XHTML 2.0 Transitional or something just as sketchy...

All this to say - MS is about on par with everyone else as far as standards go. Now, security vulnerabilities... that's another story

For the first part, I agree, nothing is perfect. However, IE is worst. You say it's at par with other browsers... well IE doesn't even support XHTML! If you serve XHTML content through the normal XHTML content-types, IE can't render it. However, I will render the XHTML as HTML if served with the 'text/html' content-type. Don't tell me IE is at par, it's way under, even with IE8.

Some facts

Last edited:

qjqqyy

Reaction score
i want to condemn my friend into visiting my site so his IE crashes
he made me angry, I WANT REVENGE!!!

David

IRC: For Cool People!
Reaction score
:lockd:

Who installed that emoticon? They get a cookie!

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Dude, grow up. If your on IE8, it's almost impossible to terminate it as IE auto-restores when you terminate the process.

-rep for this

Status
Not open for further replies.