If you ran x10hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Well since I always seem to get advice and suggestions on things... if you ran x10 how would you do things differently?

-Corey

Oni

Reaction score
I'd give out *Free Domains to the most successfull x10 Hosting Accounts (futbol.x10hosting.com)

:wink: :biggrin:

Just kidding...or am I????

-----------

Anyways everything is great, especially now that there's no downtime.

I wouldn't change a thing!

Last edited:

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
if i ran x10..

a. id make the shop cheaper
b. add a couple more sections to the forum
c. make static require banner ads, and advanced and corporate to require forum posts per month with a smaller ad than static to generate more income since alot of users want quick easy free stuff
e. add a bit more space to static to make it more appealing
f. change the two week deletion policy to one month inactivity = deletion
g. add more things to the shop
h. increase signature space (if possible)
i. a bit more smilies in the chat function

thats all i can think of for now

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sentient1080 said:
if i ran x10..

a. id make the shop cheaper
b. add a couple more sections to the forum
c. make static require banner ads, and advanced and corporate to require forum posts per month with a smaller ad than static to generate more income since alot of users want quick easy free stuff
e. add a bit more space to static to make it more appealing
f. change the two week deletion policy to one month inactivity = deletion
g. add more things to the shop
h. increase signature space (if possible)
i. a bit more smilies in the chat function

thats all i can think of for now
Meh, Probley change the ad's around a bit, But post per week won't help that will bring less income of people. Add's a bit more space to static might be good. Lower prices on shop items would be cool. Two week deletion policy should stay add more to the shop would be cool dosent matter much.

Corey I think your doing a great job how it is.

n4tec

Reaction score
availability of choice btn vertical and horizontal ads for x10 corporate.. Suspend sites with out dated scripts.. the rest seems ok..

hartap

Reaction score
Before i suggest something here, there's some question i want to ask: Is X10hosting running paid plans or no, because if no, i don't get the reason why you build this hosting think.. where's the money come from .? ads ..? which one get the big paid?
so this is mys suggestion:
1. If no paid plans, i make one.
2. Find someones to be marketing people, who sells the ads in the community.
3. Make company, and start hire people.
4. Change the free plan future.
(1000 mb,2500mb ..? who needs that much ? what for ..? file stored..? i rather start it with 100,200,300 mb)
5. i agree about make the shop cheeper but not the domain, it will be ruin the company money.

Mikek

Reaction score
I think you run x10 well. I like that fact you don't need to make x posts a month, it makes it unquie compared to other hosts.

MicrotechXP

Reaction score
X10 is runnign well but what I would change is:

1. Add 1 MySQL to Static
2. Paied Hosting with more features and space.
3. Make the shop better.(Cleaning it up)
4. Add more things to the shop.
5. Give away free domains
6. Put in more forums

Thats all I can think of right now. I will post latter with more if I can think of more.

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
MicrotechXP said:

1. Add 1 MySQL to Static
6. Put in more forums

Thats all I can think of right now. I will post latter with more if I can think of more.
Okay something corey can afford, giving away free domains is not cheap.

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
yah, everyone knows you guys all want free domains. but its like $5 per at the cheapest and he is paying for servers, and cpanel and everything else... give him a break i mean geez... get your 1250 points and get a free one, or win a contest, he cant just give them out like they are candy.

also paid hosting is GREAT for the amount it costs, i mean you can find the x10Corprate type hosting for over $20 a month at alot of hosts, he is giving you a very good deal, and also $1 and $3 a month is insane for good webhosting.

and if i ran x10 i would add some more to the forums so people have more places to talk. also maybe add a mysql database to static (like above) because people will take that more than the others if all they need is that much space a nd a database, otherwise they are forced to get the bigger one with amounts of space they may never use

Last edited:

Bryon

I Fix Things
Reaction score
A lot, not all, but a lot of everything that members have said so far are selfish and only what they want, such as "domains", and cheaper shops.

"If I ran x10Hosting.. " I would change a few small things. Here's a few small things that I have noticed/would change:

• First, I would take care of the problem being talked about in this thread.
  • Second, I would somehow implement a better system of checking accounts for violating the TOS, (Such as some program/script that would get a list of all accounts/URLs, then one by one, go through them and check if a certain "part" of the ad code is located in the source of the page, if it wasn't, add the account/site to a list to have checked by hand by a mod/admin.)
  • Third, there's too many, "young", members around here now. A lot of people try helping others on the forums, when they *don't know* all the time what they are talking about. That right there get's pretty annoying. I'm not saying "young" as in pertaining to their age, just pretty much their attitude around here. I don't know.
  • Fourth, I know that this is not always possible, but, try to get rid of a lot of the downtime. There really hasn't been a lot recently, but I remember times in the past when the server would be screwed up for hours, or even days. It is very frustrating when it is down. I know that this is a free service and all, and this isn't really, all that possible to completly eliminate downtime. This turned into a pretty selfish and unresonable thing.. sorry.
That last one is a little, err.. not the best, but I added it anyways.

Well there's my take on it.

Last edited:

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
MicrotechXP said:

1. Add 1 MySQL to Static
6. Put in more forums

I like this idea, create more paid hosting plans. If people need more space or bandwith they can pay for it.
And I have another idea, sell space and extra bandwith in the shop. Also extra mySQL db, subdomains, email accounts etc.

Jake

Developer
Contributors
Reaction score
aaorozco said:
And I have another idea, sell space and extra bandwith in the shop. Also extra mySQL db, subdomains, email accounts etc.

oh yah, i forgot about that, that would be a very good way to give people extra hosting benefits - expecially because some people with the static may want a mysql database and they may want some more bandwith even if they dont want more space

komodolinux

Reaction score
well since this thread is about what people would do differently.

only 1 big thing i would do.

with the scripts for suspending accounts. somehow i would write into the script that it emails or private messages the account holder to say their site is suspended. ideally it would state an actual reason. OR. i would write an auto-reply script linked to the subforum for unsuspending accounts. this would say something like your request has been received. a mod will look at it within 48 hours. or something explaining terms of suspension.

another thing i would change but this isnt about how its run is for applying for roles such as account management and tech support i would set out the actual technical skills required for the role. such as the scripting languages a tech is required to know. or such. at present it all seems a bit vague.

people talk about making money off the site to pay for hosting. well why not look into merchandise such as caps, cups, t-shirts etc. people buy the merchandise and part of the profits goes to running servers etc.

rahul2006

Reaction score
aaorozco said:
MicrotechXP said:

1. Add 1 MySQL to Static
6. Put in more forums

I like this idea, create more paid hosting plans. If people need more space or bandwith they can pay for it.
i also do same

two4one

Reaction score
Corey said:
Well since I always seem to get advice and suggestions on things... if you ran x10 how would you do things differently?

-Corey
if i were you....

i would take cares and consider first of all the legal issues that may arise with hosting people's sites
secondly to make hosting sustainable advertising is must.from each member 's site i expect tleast 10 banner ads at any place in their convenience but must be placed. i won't place any google adsense since it is the wide spread in world and every small to medium and even advanced webmaster looks for that. i take alernatives(this depends up on stats how well the total traffic comming to my member's sites...)
and target them onlycontextual advertising..(even if its somthing like banners system)

i would give away a domain for every 250 forum points but restrict only 1 domain per free account and 2 for premium accounts.

::premium accounts:: they pay somthing like 1$* static, 2.5$** advanced 5$*** corporate all per month
must get atleast
*must purchase 1year hosting in advance to get free domain or can post in forum until 250 points for purchase a "free domain" in shop
**must purchase atleast 4 months hosting in advance or can post in forum until 100 points for purchase a "free domain" in shop
***must purchase 3 months hosting in advance or can post i forum until 50 points for purchse a "free domain" in shop

would use active account managers who can monitor all accounts and do regular checks whenever a webpage is updated by user.

in the case people wants to upgrade/downgrade their memberships ,all such things will be managed by "forum traders" on a stndard point conversion
"1 point =$0.10" .

besides all a good helping system is developed and redirected all firstregistrtion people to there.

if anyone violates rules ,account managers send them a courtesy note via PM , he doesn't respond within seven days(the time in auto ccount deletion timer script) he will be deleted and mailed same with reason in email.

" Mod log":: this is a private place where all of your mods/account managers/forum traders should post their actions
Support team :: these people will help forum members reagarding any problems in hosting with the help of Mod log.
these are some of the few things i would develop.... i have to think for more...

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are missing the point here. This isn't about what you want as a hostee, as much as I want to give out domain names to everyone it's not possible. You have to think of this as you having no money. I actually spend money each month out of pocket.

Secondly, I know it's nice to think up scripts that can do all those things but I'm not very good at PHP and it costs a good amount of money to develop some of the things you are talking about.

You have to think of this as not being able to spend any of your own money plus getting these things done. You also have to remember the target market here. Most of the people here are under 18 without a credit card and are unwilling to pay for anything anyway, after all this is free hosting. :)

Please take these things into consideration before posting "Give out free domains after 10 posts... have these scripts automatically do this...etc..."

-Corey

Richard

Reaction score
We want to know how you can make x10 better expericence for you.

We have a few thousand people that register but have never posted how can we stop people from leaving :)

We want to expand the community here how can we do that?

n4tec

Reaction score
1. try having and nice welcome message for guests..
2. Dynamic Announcements.. [ See Thread ]
3. Welcome PM [ See Thread
3. Affiliates
4. Contests, contests, contests!
5. Skins and Graphics are a big helper.
6. Add features constantly! like the Thank you hack , Geek Article

that is all

Status
Not open for further replies.