Important Poll Regarding Disk Space

Should we stop backups and raise the disk space?

• Raise the disk space, I'll keep my own backups.

Votes: 118 61.1%
  • I like the way it is now.

Votes: 75 38.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rlodge

Reaction score
I voted to increase the disk space solely based on the idea of people being responsible for their own backups. If there were an option to "Keep the same disk space and keep your own backups" I would vote for that. More disk space would be cool but not necessary.

I agree with the people that say we should keep our own backups and I also agree with those who say the free accounts will, for the most part, not be that large anyway.

boris333

Reaction score
People who don't learn to keep their own backups should start learning now.

Voted for more space.

playminigames

Reaction score
i think that there should only be a once or twice monthly backup, just in case of a server crash or something similar. But i think that everyone should keep their own backups, as everyone usually has lots of storage space on their computers. So i voted to raise the disk space and stop backups. :)

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
People who don't learn to keep their own backups should start learning now.

Voted for more space.

If anyone needs help learning how to make a backup, our knowledge base features an article about it:

http://kb.x10hosting.com/questions.php?questionid=21

i think that there should only be a once or twice monthly backup, just in case of a server crash or something similar. But i think that everyone should keep their own backups, as everyone usually has lots of storage space on their computers. So i voted to raise the disk space and stop backups. :)

There would still be a monthly backup of data anyway.

techmunchies

Reaction score
Even though I am new, (my site is not even created yet, status still unknown!), I would like to be responsible for my own backups, since then I am yet in more control of my website, I control the backups, etc. Plus, that means you guys can take a break too!

On another note, by taking away the *almost* daily backup, does this mean there is less stress on the servers?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, backing up the server every day even though incremental does add stress due to the amount of file changes.

-Corey

techmunchies

Reaction score
Yes, backing up the server every day even though incremental does add stress due to the amount of file changes.

-Corey
Then I say do away with it, even if you do not increase disk space. What's important to me is how fast my website loads, and even if the main server is faster by milliseconds, then my website will experience the speed increase. The extra space is just a bonus! :)

techmunchies

Reaction score
Quick questions, how long are you going to run the poll? I see right now its 2/3 in favor of doubling disk space.

Second question, would we be able to store our site backups on the server? Albiet, in a different folder, but I was just wondering! Thanks! :)

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I think a week would be good... I'm thinking maybe we can make some compromises for the people that voted no.

Regarding the second question, I'll have to think about that. Since we will still be taking at least monthly backups it would increase the size of the data stored in them by us raising the limit + if everyone keeps backups on their account.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Second question, would we be able to store our site backups on the server? Albiet, in a different folder, but I was just wondering! Thanks! :)

I would not personally consider keeping the backups on the server, since if the account goes down, all the files will be lost, including your backups.

techmunchies

Reaction score
I would not personally consider keeping the backups on the server, since if the account goes down, all the files will be lost, including your backups.
Yeah I figured as much, but I've already devised a way I can have access to my backups anywhere, so even if my computer fails I still have the backup, so its all good! :)

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score

Sometimes, people keep backups to restore their data when it corrupts itself. It would obviously be unfortunate if the entire account or server goes down, but backing up to account for minor errors within pages should be covered by storing backups on the hosting account itself.

Danielx386

Reaction score
I Would be happy with 500MB of server space and have backup. BUT I also think that everyone should be doing their own backups. Does not make any different to me.

computerwis

Reaction score
I backup from my forum - MyBB. I don't like backuping from there because, When I do it I can't restore the backups MyPHP Admin

DefecTalisman

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I say backups over space, but defiantly speed and efficiency over both backups and space.

But I am happeir than a pig in .... with my hosting account at the moment :)

Last edited:

jasonlcy

Reaction score
Does this decision affect only the ad-free servers? If not (I'm on ad-enhanced), then I would be one of the minority voting for backups instead of disk space because I don't have frequent internet access to make daily or even weekly backups on personal computers. I usually have to go out to Internet cafes.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
It would affect the ad-enhanced package as well, they are on the same servers as the ad-free packages. Ad-free and ad-enhanced is only a matter of applying different settings to the account.

Status
Not open for further replies.