• I use neither

Votes: 164 91.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ipswitch8259

Reaction score
:biggrin: I don't even know what the hek is that ASP.Net is.. cause I'm just a l0tech guy :biggrin: But if it makes x10hosting m0re better if you take it off, then by all means.. dr0p it.. :biggrin:

arceye

Reaction score
Dropping frontpage means this free hosting is going to cost me £235 to buy dreamweaver :) but if it will improve the service I will cope without it. :)

But as for the previous postings about using notepad and such to write web sites all I can say is, that is like telling a person to walk everywhere instead of drive, wysiwyg makes things easier and faster over the very basic notepad in the same way driving makes travelling easier over the most basic transport of walking.
We all have own preferences of doing things but as I don't force my way onto others then I don't expect them to force theirs onto me.

nandifamily

Reaction score
Dropping frontpage means this free hosting is going to cost me £235 to buy dreamweaver :) but if it will improve the service I will cope without it. :)

But as for the previous postings about using notepad and such to write web sites all I can say is, that is like telling a person to walk everywhere instead of drive, wysiwyg makes things easier and faster over the very basic notepad in the same way driving makes travelling easier over the most basic transport of walking.
We all have own preferences of doing things but as I don't force my way onto others then I don't expect them to force theirs onto me.

If u dont have Frontpage support, you can always save your work on the hard disk and then upload the files on cPanel.
Else, you could go for a PHP based website builder or CMS.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
16591.67% use neither. I think that is the majority.

~Callum

arceye

Reaction score
nandifamily:

Its all cool :)

I only really use frontpage for building and layout as its faster than manual work in a text editor, I don't think I actually use the extensions and I don't publish using frontpage so it really doesn't make any difference to me either way :) .

my post was more of a little dig at those give the impression they are better because they waste so much time writing the raw code in notepad. :)

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
my post was more of a little dig at those give the impression they are better because they waste so much time writing the raw code in notepad. :)

We are. And even then, I have my own templates for XHTML and CSS that I use depending on what I'm coding, and go from there. Using wysiwyg is cheating.

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score

I'd go along with that if it were anything like the truth. WYSIWYG editors may lower the bar in terms of required knowledge (which, by the way, isn't much), but it's certainly no faster. And Notepad is hardly the only alternative to WYSIWYG; there are hundreds of editors out there that make editing HTML a snap (synyax highlighting, auto-balancing tags, providing boilerplate, snippets and macros, etc.). And most of the best ones are actually free.

There's a big difference between HTML that looks okay in your browser and HTML that actually means what you want it to mean. If you don't care about your users, or specifically mean to prevent people with disabilities from using your site, well, I suppose that's your business. But if it's your actual business (or if you're hoping that it might become your actual business), then maybe paying attention to the details that a WYSIWYG editor simply can't handle might be an idea. Frontpage is for people who want to write websites about their cats. Dreamweaver is for designers who have the luxury of having coders to clean up the mess they make (I'd much rather a designer give me a PSD than the "site" they build in Dreamweaver -- it is far easier to create the correct HTML and CSS from scratch than it is to fix bad markup) or who know enough about HTML and CSS to go to the code view after they've done the WYSIWYG layout and make the appropriate changes.

Bottom line: relying on WYSIWYG is bad. Bad for you (it keeps you ignorant of what you're doing), bad for your users, and bad for business. If you're a visual thinker, then use it for basic layout, but never, ever depend on the output from the WYSIWYG editor.

DeathByNukes

Reaction score
Derailing much?
It's not about the editor you use, it's how you use it. Amateurs are going to make bad webpages whether it's Frontpage, Dreamweaver, or Notepad.

Disabling Frontpage extensions doesn't mean you can't use Frontpage to make your x10 site, just that you have to upload with a conventional FTP client like everyone else.

conzone

Reaction score
For FP could you not find a old windows 2000 server and move those who NEED it; accounts to that.
Locate the server in mums garage.

Frontpage is dead
Love live SharePoint Designer 2010; which no-one has heard of anyway (also free). nuff said :p

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Guessing that Corey got the data he was seeking.

imfreakycool48

Reaction score
I don't use anything from Mircosoft, their software are written by kids during Summer vacasions, so, things normally messed up quickly. Worse more... they pay very cheap to the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.