Inactive members

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I was quite surprised. I just looked in the member list and found that over 111361 members of the x10hosting forums has made less than 10 posts.

Then 97771 members haven't posted in the last year.

I think if someone gives someone some free stuff, they should at least give something back. Like posts. Does anyone else agree, or is it just me?
Edit:
Whoops, can someone please move this to crossfire?

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Moved.

I agree. I would really like everyone to post more. Not just signing up because you need to...

tittat

Reaction score
yes i do agree with Alex Mac, but we cant actually compel them to make post.
It would be nice if we could give something back in return for the free service offered by x10.

Dan

Reaction score
Yes I think people should because otherwise they just seem to be selfish. But then I suppose if they don't have time to or anything then they can't. Maybe for the ad-free x10 should make people post once a month or something, as with ad-enhanced you are putting ads up so you are giving something back.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
problem with forced posting is you'd end up with a lot useless posts/threads, saying something like, ok I was here this months as well.

personally I rarely post, but that is mainly because I don't find a reason to do so, ie I got nothing to add to what are already said on a specific topic.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I post a lot here since I enjoy the community and the stuff they talk about. I'm on the ad-free hosting of course, but yeah, it would be nice to get every single person on the memberlist to post more often. The same problem happens at many forums I go to, except most of the members basically register but never show up.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't think people should be forced to post, but I think that members that don't post should get emailed, saying that it would be polite to post occasionally.

worldwise001

Reaction score
personally I rarely post, but that is mainly because I don't find a reason to do so, ie I got nothing to add to what are already said on a specific topic.

I find myself in this situation as well, and especially within the coming weeks, many of us will be starting school. I know I will be rather busy as I'm going to start my university courses in the next 2 weeks.

Perhaps we could try either forum posting, or just general hanging out on IRC; I know I'll be on IRC almost all of the time, even while working/doing HW. (I'm Sabriel btw in #offtopic).

wolfy67

Reaction score
How much spam do we really want?

A couple forums I frequent have the post count for each user, but also what forums they've been posting in. It's always scary to see someone with 2,000 "Games" posts under their belt pop out for three seconds to rifle off some trash in "Tech Support".

I wouldn't like to see forced posting implemented but if it was, it would be great if we could click on the user's profile and see *where* they've been posting as well as how much. Give some weight to the words.

Last edited:

koyut

Reaction score
I am not an avid poster. Almost all of the forums I joined, I just become what they call a lurker. Not that I just want to meet the requirement but because there is nothing good to say then I just look at threads and read. Some people just become lurkers. Some on the other hand just visit the forums for the sake of meeting the requirements not even reading what is on it. There is not much you can do. And yeah forced posting = lots of useless post. A good reward scheme may convince some to post.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yeah I agree that forced posting is a bit, makes you leave. Like I always stay away from hosts that has "post to get hosting".

We have a reward scheme here at x10 actually. It is the credits. You get 4 credits for every post (in some places 8). For the credits, you can buy things from other users or get a domain from x10 or paypal payout (currently unaviable)

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Or maybe users lose credits on days they don't post?

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Good point. If it were a small amount then it wouldn't really matter for a small time, would it?

Dan

Reaction score
Just a reminder - can you please try not to post one liners because after today, as it is part of the forum rules and it even says underneath the forum title on the main page that one liners are not allowed, I will start giving out warnings and then infractons. Thanks

I think users losing credits when they don't post is a good idea, but maybe only after they have been inactive for over a month because people might go on holiday etc. The one problem with that idea is that if people don't actually post at all or use the forums, they are really not going to care if their credits start decreasing as they are never actually going to use them...

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry.

What about if their account goes down to 0 credits their account gets suspended? And is they get an infraction they lose credits?

That solves the problem of spamming as well :)

Last edited:

Dan

Reaction score
Yeah that would probably be a good idea if the admins really wanted to take it seriously. And it would solve spamming too.
Thing is, that basically makes X10 into one of those post4host free hosts and I think the idea of x10 is that you don't have to post and all you have to do is log in every 2 weeks....

jaco_don

Reaction score
Well Cleaning up inactive users can help ... and release the load from the server

withambition

Reaction score
As some have said, some members are lurkers. I don't think people should be penalized for being lurkers. As strange as it sounds, I'm sure that some people are too shy to post. They see that x10 is a large community and they feel like they might get rejected. Whether it be in person or the internet, social standards and such apply.

unpixelatedgamers

Reaction score
The thing is, you never want all your members to post regularly.

X10 has over 100,000 members right? even if they each only made 1 post every week, thats still an average of 15,000 posts a day.

Do you, I or any of the moderators really want to wade through all of that to find the useful / funny / informative posts?

Even if the average post quality remained the same (which in all likeliness it wouldn't), you'd still have a proportional increase in rubbish, pointless or offensive posts.

With the increase in traffic, without a substantial increase in moderator strength, many of these "bad" posts would simply get absorbed into the ether of "ok to moderately poor" posts and get generally ignored.

If sheer member count is a intimidating, what about the post weight? On the largest, fastest moving forums I've seen, newly posted topics from users asking legitimate questions often drop off the first page in a matter of seconds. Thats a sucky experience for the person just looking for some help.

When there is a particular big-ticket news item popping up relating to a particular forum, you often get 5 or 6 people posting about the same thing, wanting to be "first" rather than waiting and doing a search for posts on the topic. Not only a moderating nightmare, but it creates a completely fragmented discussion on a given topic.

Then there are other issues, if you send out reminder emails, people will only come on and post "I got an email that told me to post so thats what i'm doing." Would you really want that? More spam, just so your forum is more 'active'? I certainly wouldn't. People should be posting because they want to, not because they have to.

Signing in once every two weeks is relatively painless, and it gets at least 1 ad view, 3 if they haven't got a cookie.

Besides, the internet is all way to full of recent-ism anyway. So what if one dude hasn't posted in 4 years? He may want to come back eventually, deleting his hosting account is fair game, that takes up lots of space and (potentially) bandwidth. Forum accounts a cheap; just a few entries in a table. If you really want to save space, cull the old posts. Deleting his account without telling him would be very rude.

My general point, I guess, is that you want the majority of your members to be lurkers. Sitting back, reading the posts (viewing the ads), with a minimum of server load and moderator work. Then occasionally popping out of the woodwork to make a good post, on something they actually have an interest in.

You don't want people to post for the sake of posting, or worse, EVERYONE posting because they WANT to post ALL the time; that would be absolute chaos.

(did i meet the 'no one-liners' requirement? :) )

Last edited: