Irrespective of your sympathies, who shall win the World Cup?

joseph grech

Reaction score
Given the overwhelming climate of football mania, this is a pertinent question. Please provide reasons for your answers, however untechnical they may be :confused:

Here is mine: Argentina! Reason: With match-defining players like Messi and Milito, and under the formidable coaching of legendary Maradona, and given the underlying ethos of South American football, I think the Argentinians have a well-rounded package.

Btw: What do you think of the song Shakira has concocted for the World Cup? Me thinks it's very evocative given the South African environment.

N.B. Notwithstanding this spotlight on football, my attention shall probably be more focussed on Wimbledon in the coming month, since it happens tennis gets me more than football : )

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I watched Argentina vs. Nigeria and I think they (Argentina) were that good. The reason if they have too much pressure. They know they have top players and they are afraid of letting everyone down. Pressure is one of the worst enemies in any sport and if they don't deal with it it could completely block their play. On the other hand theres Maradona that gets angry every time his players make a slightest mistake adding more pressure instead of helping them resolve it.

On the other hand I don't like to make predictions especially because I believe that everything is possible. Just look at UK vs. US and you'll see what I'm talking about ;)

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
ENGLAND.

No, seriously, I haven't a clue. I can't be bothered with football :)

~Callum

wongers

Reaction score
well Germany won 4-0 but im not entirely sure they have it takes, plus they have a "slight" advantage in that they have been using the new football for the last season so they are used to it being lighter and such which everyone else is crying about.

tbh most of the favourites Brazil/Portugal/Argentina are all looking a bit sub-par. personally i think Brazil will do it, they look the strongest altho still not as good as i would have imagined. Argentina have a good side but I have doubts over Maradona's ability. Portugal - well i just dont think they have what it takes.

only other teams to consider are the likes of France, Italy and dare i say England. Italy are too boring, France are too old and England are too inconsistant.

your thoughts?

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I believe that the team that plays best shall win.
tbh, I haven't watched a full game; only bits and pieces of them.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
According to the bones of one soothsayer, Sebenzile Nsukwini a genuine Zulu witch-doctor has declared “Nigeria go play quarter final. Brazil go win.” can't argue with that.

wongers

Reaction score
sounds good to me lol. well spain looked VERY disappointing last night so i'm still leaning towards Brazil, although i have a feeling that we wont see top gear football til the quarter finals anyways.

definitely the most boring world cup ive watched thus far!! lol

joseph grech

Reaction score
On the other hand theres Maradona that gets angry every time his players make a slightest mistake adding more pressure instead of helping them resolve it.

I don't think the relational dynamics between Maradona and the team are that bad; on the other hand I think Maradona is genuinely loved and revered by his team; well obviously that's one side of the coin. Certainly no other coach kisses, embraces, and greets the player the way Maradona does when they leave the pitch : ) The guy may be a show-off eccentric, however I believe there is true magnanimity to his behaviour.

kludge.bangor

Reaction score
After watching Englands performance i think that if they continue to up their game the way that they have then they are in with a chance

satishan

Reaction score
Brazil, 2010 WC its Brazil's... L.Fabiano can strike well even in absence of Kaka.

mattblog

Reaction score
GERMANY!!! ahhheemmmm - ***cough*** we beat **ahhemm&*** englan*** ahemmmm *d*

[video=youtube;s6a4BtlIG4s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6a4BtlIG4s[/video]

Sadly i have yet to see any games yet. I keep on missing them. Regardless i hope to get semi finals.

joseph grech

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong: I'm not against the English. However that just wasn't a goal
(you have to enlarge these):

Definitely no goal.jpg

Watch out for the forthcoming movie:

Out of Africa.jpg

Long live the Queen!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Bummer mattblog. Video has been blocked due to Copyright by FIFA and YouTube :(

satishan

Reaction score
OMG...its Brazil out now, samba boyz you broke my heart, now Argentina must build it by securing the WC...

ataarticles

Reaction score
Surprised they lost against Holland. But Brazil didn't play very well in the 2nd half.
Plus a red card.