Is your site using too much resources or is their server just too slow?

Who's to blame?

• The host

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • The website

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

taforum

Reaction score
I'm sure we've all been suspended for logging in to cpanel, uploading a 1 byte file via FTP, simply creating our account or numerous other rediculous reasons.

I notice that the "Server load" has to be under 5 to be in the green, but I can rarely find it under 10.

Also, their supposed 99% uptime can't be true...

My server is down at the very least once a day for 10 minutes, so my question is:

Considering this hosts rep for childish responses to negative comments, i thought "Crossfire" would be an appropreate place to post.

Opinions

Edit: admins, please dont confirm the last statement by say, I dont know, editing the votes...

Last edited:

Scott B

Reaction score
Actually my account was suspended a long long time ago for inactivity. But that is the only time I was suspended.

Also, their supposed 99% uptime can't be true...
I believe that's for the paid servers.

My server is down at the very least once a day for 10 minutes, so my question is:

Well both.There are thousands of accounts on the free server, but you can expect that from any host, especially since its free. If the downtime and server load is really that bad, why don't you just upgrade to paid hosting like I did? You can expect a much better server load since you would actually be paying for your hosting. Since you're not even paying for hosting, can you really expect no downtime and server loads? x10 is a great host and do the best that they can.

Last edited:

taforum

Reaction score
well, what annoys me most is that inoccents get suspended while those who really cause the most of the server lag get off free by paying credits...

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
No offence, but I think this is rude. Very rude. And this is one or the rare times where I'm going to ask you to read this thread. All the senior staff are doing their best to stabilise the troublesome servers and move forward with the next version of x10Hosting. They've improved a great deal lately, so please stop complaining and let them get on.

And scottbu123 is right, the free servers all have literally thousands of accounts on them. Stoli (ad-enhanced) has the most, and that's why it's so unstable right now. The paid servers only have a couple of hundred accounts on each, and they literally have 99.9% uptime ratings. So you may want to support us and help cover the costs of the free hosting offers and help us pay for a new ad-enhanced server to decrease the load on stoli.

well, what annoys me most is that inoccents get suspended while those who really cause the most of the server lag get off free by paying credits...
The old pay credits for unsuspension item has been removed, and it won't be coming back. It never applied to high resource usage anyway, so that's not true.

-Luke.

Last edited:

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Its free, how can you complain?

If you want 99.9% uptime, low server loads, get the paid service. You cant expect a web host, who has to pay about $250/month to host your website FOR FREE not to squeeze as many people onto each server as they can. Thats why the server loads are high.

Perhaps you should try running a free host with a few thousand members and see how yours fairs. Then you might respect the staff a bit more.

And before you say, Im not an x10 moderator or anything to do with x10, Im just a member.

Alex

Last edited:

taforum

Reaction score
If you dont like it leave huh?

Well *removed* is looking real nice right now so I would leave...

But your servers are lagged so much I can't even FTP the files off your server any more!

:nuts:

I was trying to ask a simple question...

Your preceded reputation was, I am quite sorry to say, quite right...

"Bunch of pubers with a pesonality issue. Their fascist attitude is unfortunately legal." - MarcAndre

Last edited by a moderator:

VPmase

Reaction score
Considering this hosts rep for childish responses to negative comments, i thought "Crossfire" would be an appropreate place to post.
Now where did you hear that from?
You should really stop making stuff up and if you have problems don't come here anymore.

Not to mention only few people get suspended for high usage. Most of the suspensions are because of illegal content or inactivity on x10's forums.

Last edited:

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
This has been said many times before but: If you don't like it, leave.

x10Hosting provide web hosting for free, if you want better uptime and lower server loads you should pay.

Personally I've never been suspended for anything, it is only people who have illegal material, or use too much of the server's resources that get suspended. This is the only way to make it fair for other users.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
If you dont like it leave huh?

Well *removed* is looking real nice right now so I would leave...

But your servers are lagged so much I can't even FTP the files off your server any more!

:nuts:

I was trying to ask a simple question...

Your preceded reputation was, I am quite sorry to say, quite right...

"Bunch of pubers with a pesonality issue. Their fascist attitude is unfortunately legal." - MarcAndre

Well, I'm a free hosting member. I volunteer to work on the forums for a little, just to 'pay' for the hosting I recieve. My package is no different to yours. None of the x10Hosting staff are paid. We're all in education or have other 'real-life' jobs. I like x10Hosting and want to help out. So I have every right to defend it. I know stoli is unstable, I apologise if you can't get your files back via FTP. But if you don't like it, please don't come and start threads in the forums like this. It's not on. You aren't paying a PENNY for your hosting, so I don't understand how you can whine like this to be honest.

Read that thread I linked to in my above post again, and stop complaining. If you can run a hosting company better, go and do so. But stop complaining if you can't, because I can tell you that all the staff are very much dedicated to x10Hosting and work themselves silly to keep everything ticking over. This isn't a rant, this is an honest feeling.

-Luke.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Look.

Try to make a free hosting company, pay for 5 free servers, 1 paid and the server x10 is on. Then try to make promos every 2 weeks and advertise it. On the free servers the earning is only the ads. 5 servers maybe earns 50% of what it costs.

And then everyone has no money (like me) or refuses to pay and choose the free servers so the free servers gets flooded with user (5 servers seems not enough but it cost ALOT).

Then take the time for working out bugs, helping users with silly issues and questions and other things like that.

There are around 2000 users on every free server but only 400 on the paid so GET PAID!

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Wow, what a lovely person you are, taforum.

I'm not going to follow suit and say stuff like "Hey, it's free, so don't complain", because I don't believe that being free is an excuse for being crap. I will say, however, that you lost all credibility when I read "Considering this hosts rep for childish responses to negative comments, i thought "Crossfire" would be an appropreate place to post.". I haven't seen a childish response from anyone who actually represents x10Hosting as yet, and the only responses that I've seen and/or written that are negative are to those who are rude/abusive.

And I take your choice of quote personally as up till recently I volunteered my services here. If you've got something to say, bring it. Else :gtfo2:

dwd2000

Reaction score
I was suspended once for not having an index page on my free account. Meanwhile, I was developing my site with my domain name, which was within my free account and didn't realize it wasn't the actual main account. As soon as I told x10 this, I was unsuspended and had an index page on the main account within a couple minutes. It was a mistake on my part, but at the same time, x10 was very fair about it.

Rules are rules, and they are there for a reason.

Also:
I joined x10 at a time they were switching stuff around a lot on the free servers. Even then, things weren't that bad. To be honest, my sites weren't fully ready for visitors.

I have since took advantage of the "Newsletter Special" and am now paying for a great service. I have no problems recommending x10 to anyone.

woiwky

Reaction score
The 99.9% uptime thing actually does apply to free hosting. Check the home page:

"Our average server uptime is 99.9%. What other free host can say that?"

But 99.9% uptime is just a gimmick(not to insult x10). You'll see that on just about any hosting service. Since the service is offered indefinitely, 0.01% is undefined. As long as they don't say 100%, any down time can be chalked up to the remaining percentage since no one can say the servers won't be up enough in the future to balance it out.

Anyway, even though I think those "childish responses" and "pubers" comments were uncalled for, I'm actually gonna try to take a neutral stance here. I have sometimes(and I stress sometimes) seen staff members respond to users' issues with posts that basically said "I have no idea what the problem is, but I'm gonna act like I do", though I wouldn't call that childish. And I have seen things take a long time to get done -- the MySQL for Python comes to mind. But x10 doesn't have a large staff, and they really are trying to their best. Trust me, running a host isn't easy.

I know slow service can be frustrating, but it *is* free. A free service is like a favor. If you go over to a friend's house for dinner, you don't insult him and tell him you're gonna leave because he's taking too long. But I do agree with you that you may be able to find a better host. A lot of people here think x10 is the best host out there, but I actually don't. It really depends on your needs in my opinion.

I've used a lot of free hosts, and I believe x10 is one of the best. But I wouldn't call it *the* best, I wouldn't call any host the best. On another host, I've never even seen my free account go down, although I know it has on rare occasion. However, x10 does offer more than that host. For one, the community here is probably the best I've ever seen for a hosting company. Many of them don't even have forums like this.

An adequate free host is hard to find, let alone a good one. You just joined a couple days ago so I would advise you to give x10 more of a chance. But no one's stopping you from switching to some other host. If you find one that suits your needs better, then great.

gamerdude

Reaction score
Not to mention the adfree servers. I am personally very pleased with x10. It is free, gives almost no limits, and the staff are very helpful.

Go to any other free host and tell me what you think. Good luck finding one with over 200MB bandwidth and one MySQL database! Many don't even have PHP!

Why don't you try to run an Apache server with a user-base of a few thousand members.

It is people like you that prevent services like x10 free hosting from developing. They can't provide perfect hosting for free (and I don't criticize them for this), people like you complain, they stop their free hosting plan since they get too many complaints.

Also, my server (Lotus) currently has a server load time of 2.48 seconds but I get pages much quicker than that when I go to my site. Also, the servers are usually down for less than 5 minutes at a time and that is during the less active ways.

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
I thought Id found the perfect free host once, had PHP, MySQL, FTP, the lot, not Cpanel, but I could cope without that. But it wasnt until you signed up that you found they restrict just about all file types (including .htacess which was crucial). X10 does ban any file types, which makes then much better. The CPanel 11 is an added bonus, as it really is a pleasure to work with.

But if you can find a better free host, go ahead.

Alex

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I thought Id found the perfect free host once, had PHP, MySQL, FTP, the lot, not Cpanel, but I could cope without that. But it wasnt until you signed up that you found they restrict just about all file types (including .htacess which was crucial). X10 does ban any file types (as far as I know), which makes then much better. The CPanel 11 is an added bonus, as it really is a pleasure to work with.

But if you can find a better free host, go ahead.

Alex

ehum correction, Doesen't ban any filetypes. :p

componentwarehouse

Reaction score
Just wanted to cover myself incase one day I find out that .xyz is blocked for security reasons. I will edit the post...

Alex

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't think anyone should complain about a free service.

I have been suspended twice, one for inactivity (my fault) and once for using too much server resources (yesterday) but I think PhpBB must have been doing random stuff because I wasn't doing anything and I was the only one on my site.

I also think that x10hosting has a right to complain about negative comments, but only if they are not constructive (like the starter post of this thread). If you spent a lot of money on something and then gave it away what would you do if someone was rude about it?

marshian

Reaction score
I don't think anyone should complain about a free service.

I have been suspended twice, one for inactivity (my fault) and once for using too much server resources (yesterday) but I think PhpBB must have been doing random stuff because I wasn't doing anything and I was the only one on my site.

I also think that x10hosting has a right to complain about negative comments, but only if they are not constructive (like the starter post of this thread). If you spent a lot of money on something and then gave it away what would you do if someone was rude about it?

I agree with Sharky (couple of posts higher), it's not bad to complain about a free service, but as you've said, there's only one kind of good complaints, and that's constructive ones.
The starter of this thread just has to grow up instead of accusing everyone on x10 to be childish, and use the search form before posting something everyone already knows. Instead of posting a very rude comment on the service x10 offers, he should have noticed this has been discussed a lot lately, and staff is working on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.