Just bought an ipad

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
So... any problems with the Wi-Fi on yours or have you been lucky and bought a good one and not a lemon?

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
So... any problems with the Wi-Fi on yours or have you been lucky and bought a good one and not a lemon?

A couple hundred of more than 300,000 have had a problem with the wifi - by my standards thats not much, but people are saying "See, I wasn't wrong! It's rubbish!" because they are too arrogant to back down.

Well personally the Ipad is not the best for me! I dont really like it and i also believe its an oversized Ipod, it really has no new features except another huge amount of money to buy it!

The iPad has two batteries.

iPod touch (latest) - 400MHz Processor and 128MB RAM
iPad - 1GHz and 256mb RAM

The iPad also has a far superior graphics card.

No new features, you say?

~Callum

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think I'll wait for the HP Slate (that even rimes :) ).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkjnas6m1ig&feature=related

I don't have much against an iPad but I just don't need something like that. It's good for what it's made for. I need an actual OS so I can do something useful on it. I need Flash, USB and SD card slot and I need multitasking. Without those features iPad it's just a toy for fun and a little bit of work (email, web apps, ...).

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I think I'll wait for the HP Slate (that even rimes :) ).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkjnas6m1ig&feature=related

I don't have much against an iPad but I just don't need something like that. It's good for what it's made for. I need an actual OS so I can do something useful on it. I need Flash, USB and SD card slot and I need multitasking. Without those features iPad it's just a toy for fun and a little bit of work (email, web apps, ...).

It's got USB and SD with an optional adapter thingy. And they're announcing multitasking later today.

~Callum

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
It's got USB and SD with an optional adapter thingy. And they're announcing multitasking later today.

~Callum

I hope that the multitasking will be in the next major update for the iPad as well. (since the iPad runs off of a modified iPhone OS) I've got my fingers crossed.

Regarding the USB, as of now the camera kit only works with cameras. That might, hopefully, change in the future. :)

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and even this few years old phone (a lot cheaper then iPhone not to mention iPad ) has multitasking. I hope Apple will do something about it. They better do what they say in the OS 4 or I don't see how iPad can be interesting when HP Slate comes out.

Last edited:

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Darn, have to wait until Fall for OS 4 for iPad.
The virtual keyboard on it doesn't feel quite right. If you have one and keep it on your desk or a table a lot I would consider getting the keyboard dock or wireless keyboard.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Darn, have to wait until Fall for OS 4 for iPad.
The virtual keyboard on it doesn't feel quite right. If you have one and keep it on your desk or a table a lot I would consider getting the keyboard dock or wireless keyboard.

You can use any bluetooth keyboard, probably a lot cheaper.

~Callum

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
The iPad has two batteries.

iPod touch (latest) - 400MHz Processor and 128MB RAM
iPad - 1GHz and 256mb RAM

The iPad also has a far superior graphics card.

Dual-core ULV 1.60GHz Core2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD writer, 1280x800 'transflective' LCD display (means it works in direct sunlight), Intel 4500HD graphics, and a whole load of universal connectivity including eSATA and USB, for free. You can take your overpriced oversized touchscreen phone and shove it in the bin.

I'm wondering how long until Sharky comes in here and flames Apple and says that everyone should get windows?

~Callum

Screw you.

You can use any bluetooth keyboard, probably a lot cheaper.

~Callum

I have a built in keyboard

buyphiten

Reaction score
yeah. compared to ipad, i would rather have a touchscreen netbook on hand.
at least function wise, i could do more...

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Things that suck about Apple haters:

1 - They have access to the much bigger ecosystem of windows that, presumably, satisfies all their needs and yet feel absolutely compelled to harp on the niche tech whose customer base loves them. WHY?? They are deeply conflicted. Wanting the thing they hate and hating the thing they have.

2 - They think that if a device can't do everything all at the same time it's useless. Apple makes things that do a few things REALLY well. There are millions of people out there that don't know what multitasking is. Their PC gives them hypertension every day and they want simplicity.

3 - They don't get how innovation rules their very surrounding. Apple made the mouse. Apple killed the mouse. Their reach into the way things work and look in your house is huge. All these things you need today will be forgotten in a year or two, especially to do with hardware interfacing. Apple was the first to drop the floppy drive. People said ooohh, that's a bid bold. A year later it was museum time.

4 - They miss the obvious. Closed apps thing - Let's get this straight right now. Developers LOVE this system. They know what they're getting and for how much. They have close to zero compatibility headaches. They have access to a steadily growing consumer base. The piracy ratio is super low. Hence the average application price of $3. And not $30. Their entry point is super low, anyone can do it, the dev kit is free. All this creates the fertilizer that will grow a massive jungle full of variety and innovation in software. You ain't seen nothing yet and it's not there just to make you happy.... yet.

5 - They benefit from Apple's ideas every day. Oh the irony. Apple's strategic prowess is impressive. By twisting AT&Ts arm and letting them hang on to their exclusivity a bit longer they just single-handedly managed to cut the going rate for mobile internet access in the US in HALF. No one else could even beg the big telcoms for a little scrap of a discount. Note: Once AT&T does this, the rest will have no choice but to match. Oh and Windows 7.. that was my idea... signed Steve.

6 - It's like a monkey coming upon a telephone pole and saying it's the stupidest tree it's ever seen. The iPad is not a computer. The iPad connects me to what I need to know/read/hear/write. It's a communication device. Yeah it's stupid. Just like the telephone was when no one ever saw one.

7 - They are the biggest suckers for the very hype they claim to despise. Sure, expectations are high from a company that made the ipod. But we all know the limitations of the business. Look, for the last ten years computers were only getting faster, more spacious, and, recently, smaller. That was pretty much all the innovation in the entire industry. And now you're underwhelmed. What the hell were you expecting? A friggin flying carpet? Add up all this stuff that you need and then you want a bigger screen, and all of it should fit in there and run for 10 hours or you'd say the battery life is crap. And it should cost the same too.

~Callum