Knowledge Base Items

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

We're still working on our public and private knowledgebases... please list things in here you see commonly asked by people so we can be sure to include it in the KB.

Thanks!

(This is not a support thread)

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hi Corey,

Possible items for the Knowledge base [may already be there, or in other places, but it would be good to bring them together]:

Backup -
How to make backups of the sites, of databases, of other materials
How to restore backups

Moving sites -
How to move sites from one place to another, e.g. free to paid
Process for websites
Process for databases, e.g. Forums, Weblogs

Include files -
Purpose, and ways to create them
[OK I said I would write about this]

Forums - requirements for visits and posting
Thuis question does seem to keep coming up - although it is covered

Terms of Service - access to
Where to find them [OK it is publicised, but people still get lost]

Usernames & passwords -
Definitive statement of all the types of user name and passwords and which ones [especially passwords] that need to be the same,
For example, account name, forum name, cpanel name, ftp name

Support options -
Guide to the support options and how to get to them
e.g. Support tickets, Community Support, IRC etc

Documentation -
Index / guide to all the documentation and its location on X10 [probably listing this would be a help in reviewing the Knowledge base]

CPanel -
What it is and how to use it,

Alerts & News -
Pointer / index to the place to go to to look for current alerts & server etc status

Forum Use guide & structure -
Guide to the structure of the Forums, and maintain it after major restructuring,

The X10 Hosting team -
What are the positions, what they do in summary,

That's a quick list

zen-r

Reaction score
Commonly seen asked ;

So I've registered, what do I do now?!

What is the difference between & when should I choose main, sub, parked & add-on domains?

How to set up (the DNS etc. for) my own domain -especially .co.cc (& does x10 automatically register the .co.cc site for me when I select it in the Panel?!)

When one notices that a Panel or one's website is down, what should one do? (look in Service Alerts, Server Status Page, Support forums, elsewhere, how long to wait before reporting it, & when to ask for help/ mention a service fault in Community Support, & when to get a Support ticket.)

I got a Support ticket some time ago & haven't heard back from them yet - what should I do? (get another one, bump it, add to it, PM staff ;) , post in Community Support, check it's still open & wait?!!)

Suggested way(s) to transfer/ migrate an existing website from another webhost to this one.

List of error codes, what they mean, & what to do if I see one.

Where are good sources of tutorials on Java, PHP, web-design etc? (eg. W3Schools.com)

What are/how do I use x10 Credits, Reputation, the writing below my username? (mine says "x10Hosting Member" & other people have different things like "x10 Elder") -& please list the different levels at which these things change.

Is there any way to avoid logging-in every 2 weeks while I'm on holiday? (Inactivity Timer).

How do I bring something in this post/ the last person's post, to the attention of staff/ a specific person? (PM staff, click Report icon, wait for it to be found?

Do the same rules of needing a non-referral link with any referral links I post, also apply to my sig?

Is there a quick way to see who is staff without going to the staff lists? (colour of username).

This free hosting is all very good, but I need even better up-time - what should I do?!!

Last edited:

frankfriend

Reaction score
Hi,

Linking an existing externally registered domain to X10 Hosting -
What are the options , advantages & disadvantages - recommended method
e.g. Web Forwarding, A records, other

The domain types as zen-r said need explanation . When to use each one.

Geocities - if they are closing, how to move from there to X10

What are promos - & how do I use them

How to get a free or low cost domain name

Last edited:

alid1712

Reaction score
Hi Corey,

Moving sites -
How to move sites from one place to another, e.g. free to paid

AGREED! someday i'm sure i'll transfer my hosting to a paid service. when i do get a job.

maybe some of the people would like to change their server hosting to x10hosting server too.

Last edited:

yulifan

Reaction score
- What's the inactivity reminder?

I know it's disabled for now but I didn't know it existed when I just signed up.

booksgo

Reaction score
- How many free or paid accounts are allowed etc, and what happens if...

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
MX Records
How to setup MX records to use a different mail host

IRC
How to setup your own IRC chatroom on the X10 server

PHP Versioning System
Explanation of the PHP Version system, especially what specific functions are disabled or restricted, what needs to be done to be allowed V2 and V3

X10 Staff
How can I become a staff member? What do I need to know? When can I expect a response?

Upgrades
What upgrades are available for free accounts?

Payment
I don't have a PayPal or credit card. Can I still have X10's paid hosting?

VPS
What is a VPS? When would I need a VPS instead of paid? What can/can't I do with VPS?

ASP.NET
Can I use ASP.NET on X10? What limitations are there? What do I need to do in order for it to work?

Frontpage
Can I use frontpage on X10? What limitations are there? What do I need to do in order for it to work?

How do I use CRON? Can I have CRON run a PHP file? What are the limitations on CRON?

FTP
How do I use FTP?

Webdisk
How do I use the webdisk?

Databases
How do I create new databases? What to do if my user isn't allowed to access my database?

Fantastico and Softalicious
What are these? What can I do with them?

Email
How do I add new emails? How do I access my webmail?

Mailing Lists
How do I set up mailing lists?

Virus Scanner
Do I need to scan my page for viruses?

.htaccess
What is this file? What does it do?

Upload directory
Where do I upload files? I uploaded a new version of a file, but the changes aren't showing up.

Reset account
I messed up my account really bad, how can I reset it to the new account state?

Delete account
How do I delete my account if I don't want it anymore?

Change X10hosting free domain
How can I change my current domain at x10hosting.com to a different domain?

Suspended Account
How do I unsuspend my account?

Closed Account
My account was closed for excessive inactivity or a TOS breach, can I get it reopened? Can I retrieve my files?

Lost Login Information
I don't remember my CPanel login username, password, or where to log in.

Other Users
I want to have more users to help me with my website. Can I give them a CPanel login?

PHP INI File
How do I change XXXX setting to YYYY in the php.ini file?

Function Disabled
Why is XXXX function disabled?

Do you need some help writing these KB articles, Corey?

Last edited:

frankfriend

Reaction score
Re my posting on July 4th, I finally drafted a tutorial on Include Files with html on X10Hosting, and posted it in the Site Design - Tutorials section

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
If someone wants to write any of these up I'd be happy to include it into the knowledgebase. Otherwise they will be worked on in my free time.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll write some for you Corey. ;) I have no life anyways.

dudecat

Reaction score
Forum Use
Avoid this ... to avoid being banned.
Do this ... to avoid being banned.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Could we create a thread somewhere to keep track of what KB articles are needed and which are being worked on?

I just don't want to see someone create 100 KB articles and have them go straight to the trash ;)

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't figured out a good way to manage this list yet that wouldn't take too much time. If you'd like to be a KB writer for us let me know and we'll set something up that only those people can access. I'll throw in some credits per article also ;)

-Corey

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd like to contribute some articles! I think I added too many to the list to push them off on someone else :biggrin:

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
I would like to write some articles :)

I didn't have time to read through all those suggestions, but if this has not been mentioned yet:

Does X10 support asp?

How to enable asp.net?

Last edited:

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
If you'd like to be a KB writer for us let me know and we'll set something up that only those people can access. I'll throw in some credits per article also ;)

-Corey

I'll gladly volunteer to write articles. There isn't that much I don't know about x10Hosting anymore, but if there is, as long as I get some fill-in information, I can structure the articles to be easy to understand, entertaining (or at least not boring), and packed with information in as few words as possible.

Last edited: