Latest Update 6/14/09 News Thread Response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Please discuss the latest news thread here.

zen-r

Reaction score
This whole server transfer & upgrade sounds like its been a nightmare for Admin - & it's obviously not over yet!

I'd suggest all hands to the deck ie. any member that can spare a little time to help out other members in the forums, now is the time to please do so. If we can lighten the load on Admin & Staff, it will allow them to dedicate more of their time to getting on with finishing the upgrade job.

So come on guys. If we can, try to help each other out. Noobs especially seem to need the most reassurance about what's happening at the moment. So even if, for some problems, there's nothing more we can do than point people who aren't aware of it, to Corey's http://forums.x10hosting.com/news-announcements/98555-latest-updates-6-14-09-a.html, then let's try to do it.

Every little helps! :happysad:

Last edited:

Elesarr

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the update Corey :cool:

I agree with zen-r; it sounds like you have been having a rough go of it with these moves, however let me say that I do appreciate the effort you are making for us, and the support you continue to give to free hosting - it really is an amazing job you folks do here.

I am anxiously (but patiently ;) ) awaiting the completion of all the hard work and long hours you and your staff have given us.

When I first came here I knew I had found a good hosting company, and downtime to make things run smoother for us (and you) is not going to deter me or change my mind about your services.

In point of fact, it speaks volumes about your dedication to what you do and offer.

Cheers!

tregtar

Reaction score
I agree Elesarr. It's an amazing job they do. And it it appreciated.

changc

Reaction score
I also agree with this sentiment. I was once the moderator of a game forum, and even with a larger staff I can relate to all of the problems you guys must have right now.

Keep it up! :)

shaun166

Reaction score
cossacks server don exist anymore right? my host is from that server...now my web is still not up for 1weeek plus already...

Elesarr

Reaction score
cossacks server don exist anymore right? my host is from that server...now my web is still not up for 1weeek plus already...

my site was unavailable for much longer than that ;)

Make sure you have read the news posts by Corey then if you feel you are indeed in need of support you should submit a support ticket - be warned though - they aren't playing around with the ticket submissions so if you really are experiencing issues that Corey has covered and are legitimate support requests then you are good to go ;)

bugbrain_04

Reaction score
So I got a message a couple hours ago, "Dude, your website's not working." "It's probably just downtime, I'll check it out."
I've gotten used to the occasional downtime, and I don't do business or anything through my site, so it's never been a big deal to me. I mean, it's free. Even if the site was only up 1% of the time, I'd still be getting more than I paid for, right?

Anyway, I went to my home page, expecting the familiar "cannot find server" message, but instead I was greeted with "Index of /" and a short directory listing consisting of "cgi_bin" and "flash." It was missing "images," "scripts," etc, and all of my pages, style sheets, etc, etc, etc.

I logged into cPanel, and I I saw that I was indeed missing a large number of files. I felt the first pangs of worry until I remembered that it was all backed up on this very computer, so at worst I'd just have to re-upload the whole site. Before this, however I started searching the forums to see what I could uncover. Now, having seen the mess that's been going on this week, I find myself wondering how long my site's been down and, more importantly, if anyone I've been handing my flashy new business cards has tried viewing it during the period. But that's a different matter alltogether.

While it probably would have been quicker for me to just go and re-upload my site, I instead sifted through the various posts to see if there was a more "official" way of recovering the site. It was looking like the proper action was to file a support ticket, I was somewhat hesitant to, what with all the cautions and warnings about frivolous tickets. So I kept looking.
Through a combination of a post made by xPlosion, extrapolation from said post bordering on guesswork, and no doubt a decent portion of blind luck, I found a solution!

Now, permit me a headline so that I can grab the attention of folks who have just been skimming through my needlessly verbose tale:

Missing files? Don't bother the support staff when you can restore them yourself!

Here's how I did it. In cPanel, under "files," click on the last item, "R1Soft Restore Backups." This linked me to the zodiac backup server that xPlozion had mentioned. At this point, firefox gave me a warning about an invalid security certificate, or something like that, I susbect because the R1Soft backup software is from Righteous Software, rather than x10, but that's really just a guess. Anyway, I just added an exception. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, find another solution. =P This will take you to a file browser with expandable folders on the left, contents on the right. Browse in a few levels until you see a list of items with timestamps for names. These are your backups. Check the most recent one (for me, this was 06/08/09, right before all this started happening), click on "restore selected files" in the upper-right (if you don't want to restore the whole backup, you can expand it and only check the files you want to restore). Select your options, click ok, and wait for it to do its thing!

I hope this helps some of you. More importanly, I hope it takes some of the stress off of the support staff so that they can fix everyone else's problems faster.

Peace.

tobbe12

Reaction score
Another Problem for me:

When I try to go to my cPanel I get a blank Site, and when I access my Site I get an error

Warning: Unknown: write failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct () in Unknown on line 0

What does that mean? (I´m on chopin server)

Last edited:

Elesarr

Reaction score
Another Problem for me:

When I try to go to my cPanel I get a blank Site, and when I access my Site I get an error

What does that mean? (I´m on chopin server)

I'm sure you read the thread this is associated with...

Latest Updates 6/14/09 :rolleyes:

patience is what is required at the moment - they are still moving and fixing things.

Last edited:

tobbe12

Reaction score
Yes I did read the Post, but it tells about problems on LOTUS and STOLI and STARKA and "403errors on CHOPIN". Since I don´t have a 403error I asked here, because I didn´t want to open a support ticket.

Thanks for your answer anyways. Hope the problems will be fixed, and everything will be fine again.

Elesarr

Reaction score
Yes I did read the Post, but it tells about problems on LOTUS and STOLI and STARKA and "403errors on CHOPIN". Since I don´t have a 403error I asked here, because I didn´t want to open a support ticket.

Thanks for your answer anyways. Hope the problems will be fixed, and everything will be fine again.

I'm sure that the 403 errors are not the only things happening on Chopin...all Corey pointed out was "if" they were happening to people.

This statement alone leads me to believe there could be and probably are other issues occurring. In fact he said some things on Chopin were messed by the backup screwing with the permissions - which could very well be affecting you ;)

Last edited:

oregonmc

Reaction score
For what it's worth, it's not just you. I'm also on Chopin and get a blank page when trying to enter cPanel. I'm getting database errors when trying to read some but not all of my comments. I wasn't sure if this had anything to do with me upgrading from Drupal 6.10 to 6.12 today, and I don't know why only certain comments would return errors and not the whole database, but I'll just blame the server chaos for now. I hope.

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Missing files? Don't bother the support staff when you can restore them yourself!

Here's how I did it. In cPanel, under "files," click on the last item, "R1Soft Restore Backups." This linked me to the zodiac backup server that xPlozion had mentioned. At this point, firefox gave me a warning about an invalid security certificate, or something like that, I susbect because the R1Soft backup software is from Righteous Software, rather than x10, but that's really just a guess. Anyway, I just added an exception. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, find another solution. =P This will take you to a file browser with expandable folders on the left, contents on the right. Browse in a few levels until you see a list of items with timestamps for names. These are your backups. Check the most recent one (for me, this was 06/08/09, right before all this started happening), click on "restore selected files" in the upper-right (if you don't want to restore the whole backup, you can expand it and only check the files you want to restore). Select your options, click ok, and wait for it to do its thing!.............

Hi bugbrain, good post!

Yes, I had also spotted xPlozion's earlier post & had referred a couple of people with problems to it. But your post serves to not only confirm that the method works, but also explains how to do it in more detail. Nice!

Does anyone else think that part of bugbrains post could/ should be turned into a tutorial-type Sticky, whilst the server problems are going on?

It might need tidying up & adding to a bit, for even greater clarity. If anyone with the suitable technical insight or experience into the restore process (which unfortunately I don't have) could have a go at this, I think it might benefit a lot of people, & lighten the load on the Support team.

What do you think? :)

Please click my Reputation button
reputation.gif
(at the corner of this post) & make me :) -it costs you nothing!

If I've traded services/credits with you, please remember to leave iTrader Feedback. Thanks.​

Last edited:

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

/tmp was full on Chopin causing some misc issues, I have fixed it.

Regarding backups... some people can restore their own files via the r1soft link in cPanel.... this will not work for everyone though. If you have a ticket in and end up restoring your own files be sure to update your ticket or a staff member will most likely overwrite your files and restore them again.

zen-r

Reaction score
Last edited:

blastedt

Reaction score
My friend on Chopin not only has a 403 error, but he also lost all his files. One of those was a 2330 line PHP game written from scratch. D:

Status
Not open for further replies.