Latest update news thread response: 6/22/09

Status
Not open for further replies.

taha116

Reaction score
Nope it wont be too late. As soon as they decide to solve their problem and ask for help (which they should), they will get it without admins going through like 300 threads. Much better than any other idea so far

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
Nope it wont be too late. As soon as they decide to solve their problem and ask for help (which they should), they will get it without admins going through like 300 threads. Much better than any other idea so far

I don't agree.

Many of the complainers I have been trying to help in Community Support say that they only found out about their sites going down, & the server work, 1 week or so after it happened.

They wouldn't have minded so much if they had known about it before-hand, but that by the time they found out, they had lost a week's worth of missed emails, forum posts, business etc from their websites. If they had known in advance (or at least earlier than they did find out) then they could have done something about it :- like insert a message on their website, or an alternative email address, or even set up an alternative temporary site elsewhere.

Finding out after they have had a week or more of down-time, as per your suggestion, just wouldn't be good enough for most of them.

Informing everyone (one way or another) before-hand is the only satisfactory solution, unless we wish to make it a requirement for people to log in & view the News Section at least once per day (rather than at least once per 14 days, as it is at present).

Last edited:

nsbeforum

Reaction score
Hey, Corey, I know you have been working diligently on updating the servers. However, I am having a problem, and I don't know if I should be alarmed about it. When trying to access my cPanel, I login and all I get is a blank, white page. Therefore, I cannot determine which server I am on. Could you check this problem out for me when you find the time? It will be greatly appreciated.

nsbesavstate.x10hosting.com

zen-r

Reaction score
Hey, Corey, I know you have been working diligently on updating the servers. However, I am having a problem, and I don't know if I should be alarmed about it. When trying to access my cPanel, I login and all I get is a blank, white page. Therefore, I cannot determine which server I am on. Could you check this problem out for me when you find the time? It will be greatly appreciated.

nsbesavstate.x10hosting.com

Hi nsbeforum.

Please see this thread ; http://forums.x10hosting.com/free-hosting/98825-blank-cpanel.html

I believe that for most of the people with this problem, the system worked for them again later on.

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score
@Zen-r and everyone else Ok 2 solutions to the problem. on the top left of cpanel display important upcoming changes to the respective server hosting the account.
Simple and targets everyone!

Solution 2 not as effective: at x10 account panel use the code i said 2 and that's it. Finito

@Nsbeforum just go to x10hosting.com and use the login box there, you will have ur othe x10panel available to u there were u will be able to see your servers name and other info

Last edited:

zen-r

Reaction score
@Zen-r and everyone else Ok 2 solutions to the problem. on the top left of cpanel display important upcoming changes to the respective server hosting the account.
Simple and targets everyone!......

Neither solution solves the problem I discussed, because not many people log in to those panels daily. Many people don't need to access their panels at all once their website is set up, or they only access their website to make changes via ftp or other means.

taha116

Reaction score
Dude your not getting it, my solution is the best. People atleast visit cPanel frequently compared to other stuff. Yes if i installed SMF then i wouldnt be visitng cpanel much. So what people who want to have good service should do themselves atleast the tiny favour of visiting thier own cpanel page if not x10 account pannel. What do they want? Free hosting with everything and somethings paid hosts dont have without taking the care to ever visit thier host again? Not the forums, not the account pannel but thier own Cpanel. Then its too bad for them. They might as well find another host thats more simpler and offers specific hosting fot the software they need. Thats it

zen-r

Reaction score
I don't wish to discuss this with you any further. We can agree to disagree.

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score
Sighs* Dito Zen-r Im sorta tired too. lol atleast i got some posts out of this.. You know what i think we should disagree more often ;)

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
We need to implant a chip into X10 free user's skulls, so that they receive a small electric shock when they don't read the news, a large electric shock when they post questions in the forums that are answered in the news, and a lethal electric shock if they submit a stupid ticket.

My idea >> all of yours combined ;)

On topic now, there was a thread in this sub-forum a little while back about reorganizing the layout of the forum as to lead people to the correct forums first. I'm short for time right now, but if you look back a page or two, you'll find it. I think that could potentially make things better.

zen-r

Reaction score
If you look back in this thread a little way, you'll see it t'was I who already referred to it. ;)

Last edited:

alicia1989

Reaction score
Well, I guess this explains why my website was down. So how long will it be before the new server is activated? Also, I hope you got my ticket. I honestly think that this has been a pretty good server, when it isn't down. So I may stay here, if things get resolved. I just want to publish my website again.

changc

Reaction score
I don't think we need fancy popups or scripts. Just insert a line of code to display, in red, size 24 font, your message, or a link to said message. Put this on the front page, cpanel, the forum index, and support forum indexes at the very top. Simple and effective. If you want to synchronize it, you could even throw together a basic iframe script.

Invision Powerboard also has a built-in "pop-up" announcement script, which is not blocked by pop-up blockers.

Last edited:

jsto17

Reaction score
This whole server thing is getting silly now. It's been like a week and my site is still down.

Am I correct in thinking that Corey and the team are "looking to the future" and trying to make there coding better rather than simply implement the code they already have and know works?

There's a time and a place to do that I feel, and if you've not nailed it after a week maybe now is time to give it up, try again in a few weeks, and maybe only for a few hours at a time.

I know it's free, and we should all be greatful its free, but I want a functioning site first and foremost and if i'd have been told all this downtime would occur I would have paid or gone somewhere else.

It's all well and good taking the attitude of we don't owe you anything, but the minute you provide a service, free or not, you have a moral obligation to stick to it.

It's like me inviting everyone here to a party, offering everyone free drinks and food, then when everyone gets there......throwing everyone out after 10 minutes.

I'm sorry if I just sound like a moaning noob but i've been patiently waiting for a week and i'm starting to crack lol

(Insert responses telling me to shut up and stop whining below)

xadrieth

Reaction score
Well, my account got suspended.

I'm not sure why, I wasn't running any Cron Jobs (well, i don't think I was, and I don't even know what they are).

I do have 3 PHP/MySQL applications on my website.

Would MyBB be a resource incentive application? Because it's the thing that my site uses the most.

One is just a simple news script, and the other one is barley used at all.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
This whole server thing is getting silly now. It's been like a week and my site is still down.

Am I correct in thinking that Corey and the team are "looking to the future" and trying to make there coding better rather than simply implement the code they already have and know works?

There's a time and a place to do that I feel, and if you've not nailed it after a week maybe now is time to give it up, try again in a few weeks, and maybe only for a few hours at a time.

I know it's free, and we should all be greatful its free, but I want a functioning site first and foremost and if i'd have been told all this downtime would occur I would have paid or gone somewhere else.

It's all well and good taking the attitude of we don't owe you anything, but the minute you provide a service, free or not, you have a moral obligation to stick to it.

It's like me inviting everyone here to a party, offering everyone free drinks and food, then when everyone gets there......throwing everyone out after 10 minutes.

I'm sorry if I just sound like a moaning noob but i've been patiently waiting for a week and i'm starting to crack lol

(Insert responses telling me to shut up and stop whining below)

You are correct to assume this is an upgrade with the future in mind.

However you should submit a ticket if you have not already, as it appears that the link between your hosting account and your forum account is broken, which I suspect is very much part of why you can't access your site yet.

swapcool

Reaction score
My account got suspended. I run a MyBB forum and wordpress blog I dont run any Cron Jobs on either of them.

Even if I combine the traffice of both the sides its less than 1000 visites per day. I am not sure what could be causing high CPU or memory usage.

Can someone help in please so that I can stop that process and avoid this happining again.

zen-r

Reaction score
jsto17 seems to have been dealing with tickets for the past week now.

I don't know if it's something that he has been doing wrong (perhaps bumping them to the bottom of the queue again, or perhaps not noticing that they've been closed & not realising that he should re-open them).

But it does sound like he's had more than his fair share of down time. If Support staff can't deal with this work load, is it possible to take on a few more volunteers to help out during these troubled times?

You could just train them up to do one specific job, like re-linking accounts, then even if you can't find any all-round experts, you should get plenty of people who are capable of helping in limited roles. There seem to be quite a few people here offering their time.

It's not an ideal suggestion, I know. But sometimes one has to compromise. :)

Before I end, I'd just like to say my own thank you to all the staff who have been working so hard behind the scenes. Corey is the obvious person, but it would be nice to know a few of the other people who are going unnoticed.

I've seen the staff list, so I assume it is these people. But there may be other people who have mucked in with help, or maybe some on the list haven't been so active in the recent server-related events.

And an especially big thank you to LadyAnna, who so bravely joined the team recently, right at the start of the deluge. It really has been a baptism of fire for you - so well done, and Thank You!

Last edited:

taha116

Reaction score
Ok, guys i have a question Is it possible that my account was accidently suspended by x10 somehow during these changes? Just happened and the suspension page with reason wont even load so i dont understand why...

jsto17

Reaction score
..you should submit a ticket if you have not already, as it appears that the link between your hosting account and your forum account is broken, which I suspect is very much part of why you can't access your site yet.

I submitted a ticket about 6-7days ago and was told it's because i'm on Starka and I should wait patiently and now my ticket is "On Hold"

Im assuming the person who read my ticket after you Anna, that persobn being some guy called Sayid, knew what he was on about and hasn't given me false information thus resulting in me waiting for a week for nothing....cus that would be a complete load of BS now wouldn't it. I sincerely hope that is NOT the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.