Lets Settle This Once and For All, What Came first the chicken or the egg?

jenya

Reaction score
the egg came first eg:
the first animal was single-cellular thingy which is an egg in some way, then it evolved into a multy-cellular organism and so on....
untill the chicken magically appeared

Sohail

Reaction score
You never know which one was first unless we have proof, i heard loads of conspiracy theories regarding this...

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
The egg must have came first, because eggs themselves do not evolve, therefore something that was very much like a chicken but wasn't a chicken laid a chicken egg.

naerey

Reaction score
1. Define "egg".
What do we call an egg? A unicellular organism that later in life becomes a chicken?
2. Define "chicken".
What do we call a chicken? A multicellular organism that comes from an egg?
3. Specify what an egg is.
Is the egg the white thing laid by a chicken, or is the egg ANY type of egg, like that of a dinosaur? If the latter, the egg came first.
4. Specify what a chicken is.
Is the chicken the animal that comes from an egg laid by another chicken (thus the two chickens are the same), or any egg? If the latter, the chicken came first.

This is all about terminology my friends!

A) What came first, the chicken (animal that came from an egg laid by same type of chicken), or the egg (of that type of chicken)?
In this case, clearly it's hard to answer!

B) What came first, the chicken (the bird) or the egg(any type of egg) ?
Clearly, the egg of the dinosaurs.

C) Lots of other options..

NOTES:
Eggs DO evolve.
Eggs are NOT unicellular. It becomes multicellular as soon as it's fertilized.

N4rk0

Reaction score
The egg is the same as a cell , only a big big cell , so because cells came first , then the egg came first ! :D

naerey

Reaction score
The egg is the same as a cell , only a big big cell , so because cells came first , then the egg came first ! :D

actually the egg is formed by many many many cells... that in the end become a chiken.

i mean, you DO realize that the egg that we all eat, is an egg that didn't become a zygote.. so yes, THAT egg is only one cell. but we really are talking about eggs that BECOME chickens, right?
yes.

Domenico

Reaction score
Question: What Came first the chicken or the egg?

Answer: Egg. Dinosaurs had eggs and there where no chickens around when dinosaurs where around.

Question: What Came first the chicken or the chickens's egg?

Answer: Evolution. The question is like asking what came first in the natural life cycle of a creature.

skorpyo

Reaction score
The chicken came firs because GOD created pears of life(i think) like He created Adam and Eve...a rooster and a chicken was made and then the egg came to make another chicken...not sure...lol

YamiKaitou

Reaction score
Even though I am a Christian, I believe that God is using evolution to make animals. So, I believe that the egg came first.

sunburst

Reaction score
Ultimately the question comes down to whether an egg layed by the chicken's first mother was a chicken egg or not.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Ultimately the question comes down to whether an egg layed by the chicken's first mother was a chicken egg or not.
That makes it sound like the chicken came first, because an egg cannot be considered a chicken egg unless it came from a chicken. But then again, if a chicken must come from a chicken egg, then the egg must have come first. There is no definite line in the evolutionary theory where the chicken or egg 'appears'.

jenya

Reaction score
now that i think about chicken comes before the egg... a b C d E f g....

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
People have been successful in answering it before...

Anyway, there are two possible schools of thought, dependent entirely on the answer to one question. What is a chicken egg?

Is a chicken egg an egg laid by a chicken, or is it an egg from which a chicken comes out of. If a chicken laid an egg and a toad came out of it, would it be a chicken egg or a toad egg?

Answer that, and you've got the answer to the which came first question.

If a chicken egg is an egg laid by a chicken, then the chicken came first because the egg from which the first chicken was born was actually NOT a chicken egg, but a almost-but-not-quite-chicken egg.

If a chicken egg is an egg from which a chicken comes out, then the egg came first, because the first chicken had to come AFTER the first chicken egg.

I personnally thougth of the same thing, because everything can be resolved when you just change a bit the perception of things. This was a great example of this method.

Anyway, I have another question: where does life come from, since scientist are able to create cells with everything in them, except life?

Blotto

Reaction score
Sorry, but this isn't as clever a paradox as you might think.

You asked what came first, the chicken or the egg. You did not say "chicken egg" you just said "egg". And in that case, evolution give a clear answer ... there were eggs LONG before there were chickens.

Then you changed the question to ask whether the chicken or the chicken egg came first. Evolution now provides a different answer. Neither one came first ... they evolved together.

In other words there were eggs + animals hatching from them, LONG before there were chickens. At whatever stage it was that the animal emerging was something we would start to call a "chicken" ... at that point we would call the egg it is emerging from a "chicken egg." No paradox.

Your question is no different from those people who ask "Which came first, men or women?" The answer is that there were males and females, long before there were humans. So at whatever point we would call them "human", at that point we would call the males and females of that species "men" and "women". No paradox.

So it's a trick, yes. The trick is that you apply a word (label) like "chicken" to both an animal and an egg ... and then treat the word and the thing it describes as inseparable. They *can* be separated. The animal that is today a chicken was not always a "chicken." The egg that is today a chicken egg was not always a "chicken egg." The moment you apply the word "chicken" to one of them ... it applies automatically to the other.

But a paradox? No.

jetmav

Reaction score
Taking the evolutionary view of life, species that survived - from the smallest to the biggest are those with capability to reproduce. An egg is a product of reproduction fertilized or not. It has to be laid first.

dwd2000

Reaction score
Without reading everyone's answers, I would have to say the egg.
The question doesn't say it was a chicken egg...just "the egg".
I would have to assume that somewhere along the line, some species fertilized an egg that wasn't theirs. The chicken was created by this act.

opine4me

Reaction score
Speciation is a tricky question anyway... i.e., though the rule of thumb that animals of different species can't interbreed works in obvious cases (say, dogs and cats), there is a lot of gray area where animals considered to be different species can nevertheless produce viable offspring (say, cattle and buffalo). So if you are envisioning a string of mutations that eventually produced what we call a chicken, it's a little difficult to say where you'd draw that line.

That said, if you're just going to arbitrarily point to a certain organism and say, "There -- that animal was the first chicken," I'd have to give the edge to the egg it came from. The genetic material of that egg is continuous with the genetic material of the chicken it produced, so that egg has more in common with the chicken it produced than the proto-chicken that laid it.

REBEL21

Reaction score
That is one impossible question no 1 can actually work out completly what came first, but scientists are saying the chicken came first, Through evoloution of a different bird

www.jamiesrebellion.exofire.net
Games, Chat rooms and a lot more.....

Dazz

Reaction score
I was discussing this with my house mate a couple of days ago and she made a very good point which is that at some point of the reproduction process an egg produced by the female which is then fertilized by male in order to have offspring that is with the exception of some asexual creatures that can reproduce without the need for the opposite sex.

You could therefore say that the egg must have come first.

And yeah, she's a bit of a smarta*se :biggrin:

MadameSkylark

Reaction score
Anyway, I have another question: where does life come from, since scientist are able to create cells with everything in them, except life?

...Life isn't an ingredient o_O.

Life, originally, came from a random combination of chemicals and structures that formed an organism. Life now comes from other life, it doesn't spontaneously generate.