linux versus windows in future

dumbedout

Reaction score
microsoft needs to adapt to its new competitors in order to keep up with the likes of linux. but windows is definitely gonna be the main os in the future that i can see, unless something drastic happens like microsoft goes bankrupt...(right)

komodolinux

Reaction score
dumbedout,

well anything can happen. all it takes is people deciding windows is not what they need.

but i agree that ms need to adapt.

tehpwner

Banned
Reaction score
If linux would have the game capabilities as Windows, Then I'd never use windows again

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
If I were Microsoft I woudn't have fear of Linux, I would be affraid of Google!, that Google OS rumor, it's not so unprobably.

dsfreak

Reaction score
The only reason I think MIcrosoft is in the lead is becauseit has more programs, moredrivers, and more users. If Linux were to get many more people that would make drivers for it, that would intergrate games into it, and would do a few more things, then I think Linux would pose more of a threat to microsoft! Maybe in the future Linux will take over, and maybe not

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
Surely freebies win in many situations.
Open-source free CMS becomes very popular.
Many people still prefer to use free security software (eg anti-virus, firewall), even though free software may not be better than the paid counterparts.
The power of "free" is too strong!

However it doesn't hold true for Operating System.
Majority of people (I think it may be more than 95%, or even 99%. Anyone knows the exact figure?) still prefer to pay and use Windows.
Care to explain why?

Last edited:

Wai_Wai

Banned
Reaction score
By the way, apart from "free", why do people use Linux? How Linux persuade you into using it?

chitwa

Reaction score
Linux is the best thing that ever happened to this world in a long time. I think that Linux will and should be taking over a huge operating system user population

pawanrh

Reaction score
Both will have a great Future and Competition! Linux is gonna become more user friendly (Some already are, like Linspire)! Windows is gonna become more secure and Professionals oriented! With Wine and such other platforms already makin debuts (or soon they will)! And they are gonna be neck to neck competitors! And Yes, Linux will also come at a cost, and maybe windows will become cheaper! I'm sure there'll also be free version of linux always!

cyberxzt

Zine Tech
Reaction score
I use linux because it is alot more stable then Windows! The security is higher then windows and its easy to use. Correct me if Im wrong, but everyone should use Linux.

Richard

Reaction score
People are losing the point of "free" software. To quote the famous saying "Free as in free speech not free beer"

The point of "free" and Open Source Software is to beable to use and share software without restriction. For example Take MS Office, I create a Word document and I want to send it to you but you don't have MS Office because you can't afford it and you cannot read the file. I am not allowed to give you MS Office because MS say everyone must buy their own copy.

This impacts my freedom of speech because you can't read what in in the MS Word file. This is a basic example but this is what "free" software is all about not about free stuff, a good example of this is RedHat you have to buy RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 but you are allowed to give it to others.

I think in time (a very long time) MS will also have "free" software one day but there will always be a place for preparatory software and both can live in harmony, in face they could live in harmony right know if it wasn't for MS.

In the end its a personal decision you should use what ever you want but always keep an open mind.

Last edited:

komodolinux

Reaction score
well richard you can open ms word docs in a lot of office suites these days. openoffice, which is free, easy office, abiword etc.

its just MS Access that creates hassles nowadays.

Richard

Reaction score
I know that but you missed the point.

I used MS Office because people can relate to it, I'm fact most people haven't even heard about OpenOffice.org.

As for access its only half a problem because you can use Access DB's with OOo 2.0 Base you just can't create them.

komodolinux

Reaction score
richard,

i know what you are saying regarding free software v microsoft. and i agreee.

just your example is slightly incorrect as word docs can be opened on other packages.

access databases can have hassles opening on other packages too. ive seen that where i used to work. they built a brilliant database with macros etc running nicely. but they are stuck using Access because nothing else will open it.

otherwise they would go over to open office.

Last edited:

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Linux Vs Windows you will have to depend what are you doing, for server aspects future I would recommend people to invest on Linux as its free Opensource License software. Windows will still continue to grow become there will be commercial people using Windows to create programming, games and many many more stuff.

Each have their own strenght.

I apologized if there's any bad english

FeestBijtje

Reaction score
//Ontopic:
Linux is verry stable OS with is build to host and pumping more out of the pimpin machine's.
I am running it too and it runs like silk.
When i am on windows its like i am driving offroad.

//OffTopic:

Like mutch verry "Linux" addicted people like me.
we are hoping that linux would surfive for longer more anr more peeps are stepping to Windows.
And most of us are still like "Keep linux keep linux yeahhhh!!!"
Linux will always be there so is windows.

The choice of OS is on the person himself if he likes to play games then they take windows...
If you like to learn every day they take linux.

I am just an hobbit with uses dual boot :)

But 1 thing to say!
Go Linux!!!!!

komodolinux

Reaction score
well these days a lot of windows stuff, including some games, can be run on linux using tools to run the code.

two4one

Reaction score
i feel linux up to now is just stick to servers now due to popularity of php/mysql scripting which favours linux hosts . so as these scripting moves ahead linux also slowly crawls in people.since its free and highly secure ,strongly linux is boosting....

all asp/MSSql developers prefers windows .... so estimating that windows will down would be wrong but definitely there will be a clear difference in sales since Linux is FREE