linux versus windows in future

humphrey

Reaction score
Wait...my friend has unix on his old computer, and it looks really different from windows.
is linux like unix or are they totally different?

Zvez00

Reaction score
GNU/Linux is a UNIX-like Operating System, so it has some similarities. It was developed to look and feel like the UNIX environment.

The only UNIX Operating Systems left are:
Sun Microsystems’ Solaris
SCO's UNIX
IBM's AIX UNIX
BSDi

I’ve Probable left out a few, theses are the ones I can remember from the top of my head.

Last edited:

komodolinux

Reaction score
but lets not forget the great kde desktop and how much that has contributed to making linux user friendly.

XColl

Reaction score
Its quite funny how people say Linux is better because they can't afford Windows and its just that Linux is free....

Jordan K

[B]tags dont work:([/B]
Reaction score
XColl said:
Its quite funny how people say Linux is better because they can't afford Windows and its just that Linux is free....

So true, the fact is that Microsoft only produces products 10% of their capability, why waste resources on improving something that you make already the best? When the time comes that Linux gets anywhere near where Windows stands they will immediately take action and Linux will be thrown back another 10 years in the technological tree where it belongs. Windows already dominates the user-friendly day-to-day use for beginner to even expert users. The next step Windows took was to create a server-friendly operating system that both incorporates the wonderful elements of Windows GUI and the power that Linux doesn't have... The truth, Windows XP can be modified and tweaked to be better than Linux at servicing the hosting needs, let alone Windows Server (which completely owns Linux, check the specs for yourself). The only reason left to why people like Linux is mainly because they can't afford Windows. It doesn't matter how many people are involved with Linux and how many with Windows, remember girls and boys, Microsoft has $40 Billion dollars for funding, Linux on the other hand currently stands at the the price some poor company puts into it.

I do strongly believe (trying Linux and am a current Windows user) that the way Windows is heading will put Linux into a state of uselessnes, everything Linux has over Windows makes up a very short list, and every day that list grows shorter. The new Windows that is coming out was formerly named Codename: Longhorn is now Windows Vista. This will seriously set Linux way back in the user-friendly stages, they won't even be considered competition anymore. If I was Microsoft like someone said earlier Google making an operating system, I would more-so be cautious about that. Bottom line is that when Windows Vista is released to the public within the next year, Windows only has to work on improving the Windows Server edition and Linux is obsolete, trust me... $40 billion dollars worth of funding, Windows is Microsoft's MAIN product. This is all Microsoft has, this is their foundation. Everything you see that Microsoft produces is based on Windows (it's like an add-on). Don't under-estimate Microsoft now, they will not let Linux take over the operating system industry. Windows will eventually dominate Linux in every way. I think in the future Linux won't exist. Give it 10 - 15 years.

Last edited:

XColl

Reaction score
It's called reading the instructions manual book. That's users friendly. =O

Zvez00

Reaction score
1, have you read the halloween documents?
2, if windows so much better then GNU/Linux why hasn't it powered a Super Computer yet? With is better Architecture it should be able to power it a lot better then and UNIX or GNU/Linux OS.

The only reason windows is winning the serving count, is because its user-friendly not because its a better platform for serving.

Windows: Vista will have good competition on the GUI part, take a look at Project Looking Glass.

jensen

Reaction score
thanks for your thoughts civilr. Have always assumed that Linux will win in the long run but having read your points, yeah microsoft would stop at nothing to make sure they have the market share. Linux can never overtake windows in that it keeps branching off into various names but windows is still one. So any software maker would rather spend the time surporting one big elephant rather than chasing the few ants.

stealth_thunder

Reaction score
Linux been a Open source server so far and it will get better if more people can contribute and donate to them. The earn from the doantion given by many many great companies. I wonder how many small private companies actually donate. It will get better and friendier than Microsoft but have you thought of this, Microsoft may buy over Linux, I do not feel surprisingly because they had been doing all along.

my personal views

X10hosting rocks!!

Jordan K

[B]tags dont work:([/B]
Reaction score
Zvez00 said:
1, have you read the halloween documents?
2, if windows so much better then GNU/Linux why hasn't it powered a Super Computer yet? With is better Architecture it should be able to power it a lot better then and UNIX or GNU/Linux OS.

The only reason windows is winning the serving count, is because its user-friendly not because its a better platform for serving.

Windows: Vista will have good competition on the GUI part, take a look at Project Looking Glass.

Maybe you should take yourself to google.com and search the specs of both (any type of Linux you want) and Windows Server, please come back to this thread and post them up as a comparison then repost your thoughts....

In 5 years Microsoft, adding more and more to their fortune each day. Businesses all around the world investing in Microsoft not Linux (why? because of the financial support and security Microsoft has) Microsoft will have a Windows for the day-to-day user-friendly GUI that outtechs Linux and a Windows for server companies not only powerful but with amazing user-friendliness to it aswell.

I'm sure your initial reaction to defend Linux was good at the time, but the odds don't look too good for them. Linux is open source... They have no real dedicated development team of professionals that know the languages inside out (they have a bunch of amateur coders around the world that contribute, these people don't get paid they just want to help, obviously they're not going to do a good job...). Microsoft has $40 billion + to fund their development (Linux would and will never see that digit count in their funds) while each day more and more companies get in on investing with Microsoft because of their innovative technology that they introduce to the Residential and Commerical world. The companies invest in Microsoft because once again they have financial support and security. Linux is slowly dieing on believers as each day people are amazed by Microsofts new inventions.

When it comes down to it, as I said before Microsoft's prized product is Windows, they were started based on Windows and they will never let Windows go, because once again like I said everything they make is an addition to Windows. They will not give this up easily even if they have to spend all their money to overtake Linux.

I am not too sure if my post is making sense anymore but I hope you get my point here. Microsoft has 40+ bill, if they lose Windows that money means nothing, they will spend it all to keep themselves on the market and eliminate their competition, even if it means buying all the Linux supporting companies out and destroyig them...

Zvez00

Reaction score
Are you talking about the operating system GNU/Linux or the Kernel
Linux is only a Kernel, and has a dedicated development team at Kernel.org.
Most Distros also have a dedicated development team, as for the investments Novel, HP, IBM and Red Hat invest alot of money and time into the development of the linux kernel.

The specs will take some time to find as I am looking for bias free comparison on both sides.

I can post you the min specs for linux to run on a PC.
386 CPU
4 mb RAM
700Mb HD
thats the min requermants for linux to run, with no GUI

arcadex

Reaction score
MicrotechXP said:
Windows is better than linux in my own oppinion. Linux has better protection that windows becaue more people use it but Windows is better in other things...in my oppintion.

I am thinkg the same thing.