linux versus windows in future

Nate_Benton

Reaction score
Personally, after using Linux for 6 months, I have learned to like Linux more then Windows. It does take a little getting used to. I think more people should give it a try, and learn to use it. Thats another thing, I think the schools should also teach the kids to use Linux and Windows, not just Windows, sooner or later, they may have to work with a Linux box. I think its just good to know a least a little of each OS out there. Gives you the upper hand.

oscar.j4l

Reaction score
What they need to do to make linux better is to make it support windows drivers, becouse i coulden't get my wifi card to work w/ linux, but ohh well.

Nate_Benton

Reaction score
I just love knowing that the chances of picking up spyware or a virus are slim.
I would love to see Windows compatible programs, but WINE takes care of alot of things for me.
However, nothing is perfect..yet, I can't wait to see what Linux will be like ten years from now :)

Nate_Benton

Reaction score
Linux can do a lot of things, true. But I don't think hacking (cracking from what it sounds like) is the best way to use it. I mean I've heard its easier to hack, but I just wouldn't approve of doing it.

XColl

Reaction score
Nate_Benton said:
Linux can do a lot of things, true. But I don't think hacking (cracking from what it sounds like) is the best way to use it. I mean I've heard its easier to hack, but I just wouldn't approve of doing it.

Well some group of people hate it because most hackers use Linux. It's a proven fact. It's okay but it doesn't work well with other programs and such that I need to use for production.

RockerTux

Reaction score
GNU/Linux has future here in Brazil. The government is using GNU/Linux, it is subsiding GNU/Linux computers for the masses...
Well, GNU/Linux still needs more apps and games, but the distro Ubuntu is REALLY user-friendily =D I recommend everyone trying it. I ordered 50 CDs this year, and I ran out of CDs after a single week or so. Now I'm waiting for 100 CDs, people loved GNU/Linux. Everyone is dual-booting it =)

komodolinux

Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm i cant even give ubuntu away here in australia. *lol* i gave 50 copies to an organisation i know of and only 1 ever got used.

but who knows. give it time.

humphrey

Reaction score
linux is pretty good, to my opinion, but i think windows will still be in power for now.

mattspec

Reaction score
if linux was able to run more gaming apps, i would definately switch over

komodolinux

Reaction score
matt,

have you tried winex on linux?

not sure how huge its list of supported games is but it grows all the time.

N

Nathan

Linux? Doesn't stand an actual chance with the consumer desktop market at the moment. As for servers? I'm all for it.

Nate_Benton

Reaction score
People need to realize that Linux is for someone thats going to use their computer for..well a computer.
Too many people say its not good for gaming and what not. They're right. Stick with Windows for your gaming stuff. Linux is for serious things. Or people that want to get the best out of their system.
Not for their games...it wasn't made to game.
If you're willing to give it a try out and accept deleting all your windows games and all your WINDOWS ONLY programs, I have 150 copies of Ubuntu.
If you PM me, maybe I can send some over.
But only to people that will seriously use it, other then for a drink coaster.

N

Nathan

Nate_Benton said:
I have 150 copies of Ubuntu.
If you PM me, maybe I can send some over.
But only to people that will seriously use it, other then for a drink coaster.

I have 25, and I use the AOL/Earthlink CDs as coasters.

komodolinux

Reaction score
well it may not be quite up to desktop standard yet but its getting there.

and i havent seen the latest winex stats to be sure exactly how many games it runs but im sure people are working on getting more on it.

M

minievan

I had Linux, But my Dad went ape.As My Laptop/computer has broken I am using my Folk's. I put Linux on it and wow. Ive never seen a face Like it ''/ Im Not sure why hes going Mardy.*Cough*Old Age*cough*. But yeah. Linux is defo beter than Windows.
For those who have no clue what Linux is:http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=02/03/09/1727250

--Evan