Mail forwarding not happening - perhaps due to a 'phantom' account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theneale

Reaction score
Hi,

Been having problems with unreliable redirection of mail for xxx@xxxx.co.uk (xxxx.co.uk is hosted on illuminated.x10hosting.com).

I've set up various redirections to xxx@xxxx.co.uk and these all redirect further to xyz@gmail.com, but emails have been failing to arrive at the Gmail account.

Confusingly, I was getting two different webmail accounts (with different email contents) when logging into webmail (xxx@xxxx.co.uk) from illuminated.x10hosting.com:2096 vs. xxxx.co.uk:2096.

I tried deleting the account for xxx@xxxx.co.uk from cPanel (this always redirects to cPanel on illuminated.x10hosting.com) and when then trying to log in from within cPanel you are redirected to illuminated.x10hosting.com:2096, where the account is now no longer valid, as I would expect.

However, if I log in from xxxx.co.uk:2096 (this redirects to xo1.x10hosting.com:2096) I can see my test emails to xxx@xxxx.co.uk there but these never get redirected - and I cannot delete this 'phantom' account from cPanel as it always redirects to illuminated.x10hosting.com.

Could you please straighten all this out? I'm trying to get rid of the email account xxx@xxxx.co.uk completely and start again - it seems that there may be an old email account on the server xo1 that is intercepting incoming mail and not forwarding it.

Many thanks!

David
(posting in the forum because although this is an Illuminated account the support ticket system doesn't seem to be working for me)

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi David,

For some reason, I'm currently seeing your entire .co.uk domain as being pointed, by our nameservers, to our free hosting server, xo1, rather than our Illuminated server. This is likely due to a bad DNS entry. Would you be happy with me switching the .co.uk to use the Illuminated server instead? :)

Thank you,

theneale

Reaction score
Hi Dead-i,
Yes, please go ahead. Will the xxx.co.uk website need to be moved as well or is this process automatic?
Thanks,
David.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi David,

I've fixed the bad DNS entry, and your site should now be pointing to Illuminated. It might take some time for your connection to see the change due to DNS propagation, though you can hurry the process by flushing your DNS. ;)

This switch also means that your .co.uk domain is reading the files from your Illuminated account, rather than your old account on xo1. Please could you check that your website is intact and up-to-date? If there are any irregularities, I'm more than happy to migrate your .co.uk site from xo1 to Illuminated. :)

Thank you,

theneale

Reaction score
Thanks - I've flushed my DNS cache. The website looks the same but the old email account on xo1 is still accessible so I don't think it's propagated yet. Will let you know the outcome when I've given it a few hours.

Regards,

David.

theneale

Reaction score
After correcting the DNS entries the problem unfortunately still persists - incoming email still goes to xxx.xxxx.co.uk on xo1 and cannot be redirected (maybe this account needs to be deleted because it's effectively intercepting incoming email and I can't control the redirection of it?) I have already deleted the same account on illuminated - my plan was to make sure all accounts are deleted and start afresh.

TIA!

David.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi David,

I've deleted both mail accounts on xo1 now, though these should not be able to intercept the mail in this way anyway, and it may just be that your domain's DNS hasn't fully propagated yet. Please could you try again now? :)

Thank you,

theneale

Reaction score
Hi William (Dead-i),
The unwanted account has now disappeared and mail forwarding is now working according to my cPanel settings. Hopefully problem solved.
Many thanks!
David.

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Excellent! Great to hear everything's working. Let me know if you have any further issues. :)

Thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.