microsoft expression web

haslam1

Reaction score
expression is a tool exactly like dream weaver but im still debating in my head which is best
so download the trial at www.microsoft.com
and tell me which is better please:biggrin:
and for one person who makes a really good post ill donate some credits there way
thanks if you can help:hahano:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
You can't compare Dreamwaiver with that Micros**t junk. It's like comparing MSPaint with Photoshop.

garrensilverwing

Reaction score
ive never had the pleasure of working with dreamweaver but since im a rookie i find expression web easy to learn from

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Come on people, be serious please. If you have enough money to buy DW don't wait any more time. I'm a web designer with more then 5 years experience and I guaranty that you can't even compare this two. As a meter of fact I can't compare DW with anything else. It's just the ultimate developer's tool. Period!

OK I'm calming down. I understand if you're rookies and you don't want to spend a lot of money on DW (or any other piece of software). Expression web is $100 cheaper then Dreamweaver but I can assure you Dreamweaver IT WORTH EVERY PENNY!

And if you're not paying for it ( if you know what I mean ;) ) just don't think any more. GO FOR DREAMWEAVER!

haslam1

Reaction score
ive had the privalge of useing both and dw and ew are exactly the same (well almost)
but fireworks and ilistrator and better than Expression design but i still belive EW is slightly easyer to use but dream weaver has a higher chance of meeting W3's standards but no one care about that.
but don't take my word as im :nuts: lol
thanks guys

Wolfhaze

Reaction score
I have used both Web Expressions AND Dreamweaver. I am also going to go out on a limb and just assume that the OP is NOT a dedicated/profressional web designer and that they may be planning on using the software to build their own personal website. If this isn't the case, I apologize:

* Web Expressions 2 can be attained for FREE if you are a student enrolled in an institution which participates in the MSDN exchange. Ask someone in your computer department about this. (This is especially nice since a LOT of FULLY LISCENSED COPIES can be attained for free this way, including operations systems and most of their development tools) There are also other legal ways of getting the software for free, but this is my recommended approach.

* Both Dreamweaver and Web Expressions 2 suffer from all the common problems that come with being WYSIWIG editors. The code that they create usually works, but not always, and users will SOMETIMES need to do their own footwork. Nevertheless, BOTH do their jobs equally well and can be used for most basic projects.

* Dreamweaver has a few sexy features; my personal favorite is its ability to download and upload my changes to my website on the fly, which completely cuts out my need for an ftp program or to visit my cPanel. It also has some intelligent project features that allow users to build larger websites that use multiple forms of programming/platforms.

* Web Expressions 2 is simple; it is easier to learn, cleaner, and just works better out of the box than Dreamweaver, especially for someone who's just learning to use the software or isn't planning on doing any major work. In fact, I personally prefer to use it to make tweaks, because Dreamweaver is a heavy.

* Web Expressions 2 loads and operates "better." When I say this, I mean it works better on my machines. This may not be the case for you -- if you care about this at all, I'd recommend doing a comparison. I use a laptop for most everything I do, I multitask, and I'm impatient, so the time it takes for a program to launch, load, and let me at my work, all while using fewer resources, is a consideration for me.

* Web Expressions 2 has a cleaner layout. I have found it to be more enjoyable to use than Dreamweaver on smaller screens; Adobe has this thing about sticking panels and extra windows all over the place and taking up valuable space. :)

* Dreamweaver is expensive, as has been mentioned previously. One can always pirate, but then, one can always get fined by a multimillion-dollar corporation. ((Come on guys, illegal things are illegal. :p))

* Dreamweaver works well with its "sister" software suites from Adobe. If you use Adobe products often, and you're accustomed to them, then maybe you will enjoy using Dreamweaver more than Web Expressions. Web Expressions may work well with its own "related" software, but I haven't tried it and can't say anything for it.

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
* Both Dreamweaver and Web Expressions 2 suffer from all the common problems that come with being WYSIWIG editors. The code that they create usually works, but not always, and users will SOMETIMES need to do their own footwork. Nevertheless, BOTH do their jobs equally well and can be used for most basic projects.

In DW CS4 you can choose between 8 predefined GUI styles (among them are Designer and Coder). So there's no need to use it as a WYSIWIG editor (I can't remember when was the last time I used it like that).

* Dreamweaver has a few sexy features; my personal favorite is its ability to download and upload my changes to my website on the fly, which completely cuts out my need for an ftp program or to visit my cPanel. It also has some intelligent project features that allow users to build larger websites that use multiple forms of programming/platforms.

A few! :nuts: You are definitely not familiar with DW.

* Web Expressions 2 is simple; it is easier to learn, cleaner, and just works better out of the box than Dreamweaver, especially for someone who's just learning to use the software or isn't planning on doing any major work. In fact, I personally prefer to use it to make tweaks, because Dreamweaver is a heavy.

DW it simple as much as you want it to be simple.

* Web Expressions 2 loads and operates "better." When I say this, I mean it works better on my machines. This may not be the case for you -- if you care about this at all, I'd recommend doing a comparison. I use a laptop for most everything I do, I multitask, and I'm impatient, so the time it takes for a program to launch, load, and let me at my work, all while using fewer resources, is a consideration for me.

DW loads faster then FireFox. What more do you need?

* Web Expressions 2 has a cleaner layout. I have found it to be more enjoyable to use than Dreamweaver on smaller screens; Adobe has this thing about sticking panels and extra windows all over the place and taking up valuable space. :)

As I said before, you can choose from 8 different predefined layouts and if that's not enough you can always make your own.

* Dreamweaver is expensive, as has been mentioned previously. One can always pirate, but then, one can always get fined by a multimillion-dollar corporation. ((Come on guys, illegal things are illegal. :p))

It depends how serious are you about it. If you're a professional web designer then your average site costs much more then DW.

* Dreamweaver works well with its "sister" software suites from Adobe. If you use Adobe products often, and you're accustomed to them, then maybe you will enjoy using Dreamweaver more than Web Expressions.

True.

Now, let's get something strait. DW is not for beginners. It's too powerful and too expensive for them (just like Delphi in programming).

haslam1

Reaction score
well we all have our own opion SO STOP FIGHTING!! but thanks i might get both in future so they both have certain fetures i like
but just thought id put in this link for people in education
http://www.dreamspark.com
basicly you get free software but school has to sign up still free though:biggrin:;)

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
expression web 2 is free for students, but dreamweaver is still better