Microsoft XP SP3 Hits PCs Today

pokerhaji

Reaction score
Microsoft planned to release its automatic update for Windows XP service pack 3 (SP3) at 10 A.M. Pacific time today.

To read more :tek4.co.nr

JuniorD

Reaction score
yeah i just updated er. im about to restart my comp right about now also.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I've had Service Pack Three for several weeks now on my XP machine. I also run Vista Service Pack 1 as well which was released on almost the same day.

JuniorD

Reaction score
lol hows that work? running vista and xp at once? different windows or something of the sort?

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
lol hows that work? running vista and xp at once? different windows or something of the sort?

It's called dual booting, you can run any number of operating systems theoretically this way. I run XP, Vista, openSUSE, Ubuntu and Open Solaris like this :).

I've had SP3 for the last month or so now, it came out on Windows Update on its own special page. It was optional, you could update to it from the special page or just continue installing the other updates.

-Luke.

Last edited:

Chetz

Reaction score
After installing it when it released for optional download, I did notice a vast improvement in system stability

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
After installing it when it released for optional download, I did notice a vast improvement in system stability

I also noticed a major decrease in performance at boot time. It now takes XP 2 minutes to start, took about one minute 15 seconds before SP3. I've defragged and cleaned the registry out and everything, still slow. Oh well, at least my USB devices suspend and resume properly now.

-Luke.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
It's called dual booting, you can run any number of operating systems theoretically this way. I run XP, Vista, openSUSE, Ubuntu and Open Solaris like this :).

I've had SP3 for the last month or so now, it came out on Windows Update on its own special page. It was optional, you could update to it from the special page or just continue installing the other updates.

-Luke.

That's not dual booting... That's ... quint-booting. And also rather strange. Sounds like someone hasn't heard of virtual machines ;)

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score

I've also noticed a great improvement. After installing SP3 it almost felt like a fresh install. and a couple of annoying problem were fixed.

I also noticed a major decrease in performance at boot time. It now takes XP 2 minutes to start, took about one minute 15 seconds before SP3. I've defragged and cleaned the registry out and everything, still slow. Oh well, at least my USB devices suspend and resume properly now.

Strange how you noticed the opposite. I think SP3 sped up my computer, not slowed it down.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
XP's Service Pack Three did speed up the computer for me as well. The XP box at my house runs a little quicker now, and last week when I was working on someone's computer for 10 hours on vacation cleaning their HDD out, I had updated their system as well and it boots up and runs quicker as well.

Daniel S

Reaction score
I am going to run Microsoft update on my computer now and upgrade to sp3 i will post back information on my pc's performance and boot time.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I haven't installed SP3 yet just because I know that Microsoft updated their uxtheme.dll file, and will cause my themes to go nuts..

Not sure how I can install SP3 without messing anything up at the moment

Daniel S

Reaction score
Ok I have not got it installed and my computer seems to be faster and starts up quicker than with sp2 which is strange because other users have said that it slowed their computer down.

Smith6612

Community Support
Reaction score
Those were probably the people who forgot to defrag, have some crap anti-virus screwing stuff up, didn't clean their temp files out, or just have filled their hard drive (which I find common :p).

JuniorD

Reaction score
hehe. my computers real fast now. but i did just get a new hard drive so i can't really say so now.

Scott B

Reaction score
I am still using XP SP2, and the automatic update icon isn't in my taskbar... :|

Jesse

Reaction score
Hmmm XP SP3 seems interesting... though im using Vista, so i can't try that... unless i install 2 OS on my computer :p

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
so sp3 auto update come for 3 days ago? Then why come it auto updated for me about a week after sp3 released (sometime in may or june I think)?