Mininova Only to Allow "Legal" Torrents

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
If you haven't heard yet, I made a blog post about it.

What do you think? Will it really make a difference considering all the other torrent tracker Web sites?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I heard about this. I don't think it will really make a difference what so ever of what other torrent sites do or what pirates do in terms of the torrents they get. I suppose that since Mininova is going completely legal, that would at least keep the fear down of using Mininova for those less-in-knowing. Even so, they're never going to end piracy, and the private trackers are still well in operation with seedboxes and all.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think the same... The only people who get sued are ones who seed for months on end and share on Limewire, or other file sharing applications. They can't really stop it.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
Mininova's content library started going south ages ago. This is just another nail in the coffin of a once-good tracker.

--- Mr. DOS

ah-blabla

Reaction score
It's ineffective -- whatever they do -- unless the internet is shut down. Part of the problem is that the copyright laws aren't right though / go completely against human nature though... At least in Sweden we have the Pirate Party trying to set things right.

Edit:// Just realised this post makes me seem Swedish. I am not, I'm just pointing out that at least one country now has a half sensible political part...

Last edited:

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
What does the Pirate Party want?

ah-blabla

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_Party
Basically a whole load of reforms to do with Copyright and Patents and other stuff. (Or "Intellectual 'Property'" as some less knowledgeable people call it.) One slight fault is their wanting to set copyright expiration very short for all works, which is problematic for free software (as in freedom), since such software already grants much freedom, however using copyright to enforce copyleft. With such a change, this is ineffective since all code is public domain in a short time, rendering this copyleft mechanism useless, which is why copyright expiration time should depend on the original restrictions placed on a work, extending copyright if there are originally more freedoms. Sweden is where the pirate party has grown the most so far, but I'm quite certain the movement will spread soon.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Mr.Dos, it's the same organization, as in Sweden I think : ) Just another branch of the original, in Sweden...there will be more, probably 1 in all the other Top Internet Nations (nations that use the internet most)

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I think that Mininova just don't want any problems witch is, by the way, stupid.

Last edited:

ddemetrius456

Reaction score
It is a good thought but it wont work. Even i am in support of legal torrents.People will still then be able to access Mininova in some way or the other. There are always numerous ways to break every legal rule.

Last edited:

buyphiten

Reaction score
piracy is the most difficult thing to stop. there is no way to stop it, i believe.
but with mininova's removable, it will significantly help in the situation, imo.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
I would reccomend this article by Courtney Love, where things are turned around a little, for all those who wish to condemn "pirates". (And BTW, I also reccommend you don't use the word piracy in this respect, since it has connotations of violence and force, which quite clearly isn't the case for unauthorised copying -- piracy is a propaganda term used by media companies to try to further misuse the copyright laws and further disadvantage artists and consumers.)