My Favourite Game

Sohail

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i just wanted to talk about my favourite game, Unreal Tournament. I have copied a review from a website for those of you that do not know about the game. It's used on many platforms though i use it mainly on the PS3 for the HD graphics. Here we go :-

Unreal Tournament

Options, Options, Options
  • DeathMatch - Okay, you should really know this one by now. You can either set things up so that it's every man for himself, or you can split the players up into teams and duke things out that way. Since this is such a basic category, this is also an excellent place to chat for a second about all of the cool 'Mutators' that can be turned on for every game. In addition to the six different weapon specific Arena options that can be selected (Chainsaw Melee, Flak Arena, Pulse Arena, Rocket Launcher Arena, Shock Arena and Sniper Arena) in which players are limited to one weapon type, there are also a number of other options including InstaGib (a one-shot, one-kill mode that will make you very nervy), Instant Rockets (which disallows the grouping of rockets (I'll cover this later)), JumpMatch (where every player has GravBoots that never wear off), Low Gravity (kind of like the previous match but you fall slowly as well), No Powerups (no Damage Amplifiers here), No Redeemer ('nuff said), and stealth (all players are invisible - very weird). There's also a final mutator, Fatboy, which is a brilliant option that has become very popular with our crew. In Fatboy, every time a player gets shot he gets a little skinnier. Every time he kills someone else, he gets a little bigger. This means that really bad players get harder and harder to hit while really good players get to be easier and easier targets. Most of these different modifiers are available for every type of gameplay, and when used in conjunction with one another, offer a nearly endless source of gameplay types. Capture the Flag - Another old standby, Capture the Flag is just like the game you used to play as a kid, only this time everybody's armed to the teeth. You have a base with a flag, so does the enemy. The goal is to steal the enemy's flag and bring it back to your own. If your flag isn't there (it's been stolen by the enemy) then you can't score until one of your team recovers it. Loads of fun.
    Domination - I got addicted to this type of game in Tribes, but it works even better here. Basically there are several symbols spread around the level that you must capture and hold. You capture a symbol simply by touching it, and for every second you hold it (keep the enemy from touching it) you get a point. When a predetermined amount of points has been reached the game ends. This is a high stress game where teamwork and knowledge of the map really pays off.
    Assault - Our favorite option here at IGNPC were the assault maps. In these mission-like games, one team has to attempt to accomplish a set of goals (take out the gun tower, open the prison door, etc.) while the other team tries to stop them. Once they finish, the sides are reversed and the other team has to try and accomplish the same goals in less time than it took the first team. This is totally addictive, and some of the assault levels (like the Normandy Beach recreation) are among the best I've ever seen in a game.
It's The Weapons, Man
  • Impact Hammer - Okay, every game has to have a hand weapon that doesn't require any ammo, but few games have one that's as badass as the Impact Hammer. This little beauty, like all of the weapons in UT, has two functions. First, is a charge function where the Hammer gains power. When you run into an enemy, the charge instantly goes off and kills whatever was standing in front of you. Yes you have to be close, but it's well worth it. The second more delivers a quick slam (no charged power) that does a fair amount of damage. It can also be used to deflect incoming shots. Cool. Enforcer - This basic pistol weapon may not seem like much, but I've managed to rack up quite a few kills with it already. In addition to primary fire and secondary fire (just like primary fire but it shoots a little bit quicker and a little less accurately) mode, the Enforcer can actually be picked up twice offering player a John Woo style combat advantage.
    Shock Rifle - When used in its primary mode, the Shock Rifle sends a beam of energy that pops distant foes instantaneously. Secondary mode sends out a slower ball of energy that does a buttload of damage to whatever it hits. This is the only weapon in the game to boast a tertiary option as well. If you send out an energy globe and then shoot it with your beam, the globe will explode in a mega-blast that should do in anything in the neighborhood.
    Ripper - My absolute favorite weapon in the game, the Ripper is a tool that requires a practiced hand to really master. Basically it fires high speed spinning razor blades that bounce off of any surface that they hit. This allows you to reach enemies around corners or those intent on hiding behind boxes. Sadly, if players are dumb enough to fire it directly at the wall, they'll discover that it is also a very dangerous weapon to the wielder. What really makes the Ripper stand out though is its instant death option - if you hit an enemy (or yourself) in the neck, it will decapitate them, killing them instantly. Once you get good at this, the Ripper can become an incredibly lethal weapon. The secondary mode adds to this lethality by offering special razors that explode on impact doing splash damage.
    Rocket Launcher - Tal's favorite gun has a whole host of different fire options. While first-person fans should be very familiar with the explosive power of standard rocket launchers, the launcher in UT offers up a new fire mode in which the fire button can be depressed and held to load up additional rockets (up to six). Once the chamber is full, or the player releases the button (whichever comes first), all of the rockets currently loaded go flying at the target. The raw carnage of six rockets flying into a room full of dueling players has to be seen to be believed. The second option on the rocket launcher allows the same loading option, but rather than propelling the explosives at a target, it lobs them out like grenades. An amazingly destructive weapon.
    Flak Cannon - Steve's favorite weapon is the intelligent answer to the shotgun. The Flak Cannon fires a whole bunch of hot metal in a spread pattern that will seriously mess up anyone whose anywhere close to the front of your gun. Since the shrapnel pieces bounce a little bit, you don't even have to be all that accurate. The second option lobs a shrapnel grenade at your enemies. Believe me, if they're nearby when it explodes, they'll be respawning soon.
    BioRifle - This is the only really lame weapon in the game, and even it has its uses. This gun fires out a big blob of toxic sludge that sticks to whatever it hits. Since it doesn't fire very far, and since it explodes when anyone touches it, I usually ended up hurting myself. According to the manual, the BioRifle can be used to slime tight areas that enemies are running through, but I haven't mastered it yet. The secondary function of this weapon releases a really big blob of the goo all at once. Big deal.
    Sniper Rifle - Vincent's favorite weapon is the Sniper Rifle. Clicking the secondary mouse button and holding it zooms in a scope at whatever you're currently looking at. Clicking the primary button fires the gun. If you hit anyone in the head, they die. Very deadly as long as no one finds you while you're scoped in on something.
    Minigun - Every game has to have its plain old gun, and for Unreal Tournament, that's the Minigun. Not much to explain here, it shoots a whole bunch of bullets really fast and hurts whatever they hit really bad. It's secondary mode fires more bullets but fires them less accurately.
    Redeemer - The BFG of Unreal Tournament. This fires a small nuke that will kill anyone in the room where it hits. The secondary mode lets you guide the missile yourself. I didn't find this weapon all that often, so my experience with it is limited. When I did find it, I had a bad tendency to kill myself. In the right hands though (read: not mine), this is the most deadly weapon in the game.
    Pulse Blaster - This cool little gizmo is a combination of the Plasma Gun and Lightning Gun from Quake. In its primary gun mode, it fires fast energy bolts that tear up an enemy. In the secondary mode, it sends out a continuous beam of energy that will drop a foe in no time flat.
    Chainsaw - A nice little hand weapon that you can use to saw up your foes. Primary mode thrusts the weapon, secondary mode swings from side to side. The latter is good for cutting people's heads off.
As Entertaining As They Come

Unreal is extremely smooth, and the graphics, while not quite as crisp texturewise as Quake III's are impressive to say the least. Fortunately, the game's unbelievable level design quality more than makes up for any deficiencies in overall appearance. My favorite levels all seemed to be designed by Cliff Bleszinski (which comes as no real surprise) but other levels like Fractal Reactor and Koos Galleon are also brilliant and offer a play experience that is fast paced and furious - the single most important part of any action game.
While this may seem a little odd, Unreal's sound is really more effective at delivering a powerful play experience than its graphics are.

enraged

Reaction score
Any self respecting gamer should know about Unreal Tournament...

Last edited:

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
I heard about it... Im gonna get it soon
It was made in 1999 so you can get it really cheaply, although unless you want to buy it used, your only option (other than the PS2 version which is still for sale on Amazon) is "Unreal Anthology" which contains the previous Unreal games: Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Unreal 2, and Unreal Tournament 2004 (but no UT 2003). http://www.amazon.com/Midway-50099-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1206293151&sr=8-1

Sadly, unlike those four games themselves, the Unreal Anthology installer is not Linux-compatible (There is a guide, though: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=394706).

If you've got a dual-core system you might run into problems with those games (other than UT2004). On Windows I've always installed an AMD patch that fixed games that weren't coded to support dual core, but on Linux I didn't find a way to play UT.

If you've got a system good enough to run Unreal Tournament 3, you might want to get that, but it's not the same as the original UT.

LHVWB

Reaction score
Which version is your favorite?

I've played UT GOTY (Game of the Year Edition), UT 2003, UT 2004 and the demo of UT 3. I would say that my favorites are 2004 and GOTY, every time my friends get together, we end up playing insane sniper vs sinper matches on face 2 in GOTY. Awesome map face 2! :)

blitzkrieg

Reaction score
Classic and first UT will always be the best for me... I also loved UT2004 but didn't play enough to really get into it.

anirtak143

Reaction score
command and conquer series.. ^^
cac red alert 1 and 2
generals - generals zero hour

Armacci Design

Reaction score
The original Unreal Tournament (UT99, UT Classic, or whatever you want to call it) is the only one I really like. It's just so different from the others, and I can't really put my finger on why. Probably has a lot to do with the music by Alexander Brandon and Michiel van den Bos, who also did music for Deus Ex.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
UT is an extremely good series and is up there with the FPS greats. (Half Life, Halo, Oblivion/Fallout, Quake/Doom, etc...)

sbflinn

Reaction score
im gonna go more back in time
favorite game?
probably chrono trigger
old school games are the best
of course UT will always be a classic and a great old school game

the_site

Reaction score
ZAMN (Zombies Ate My Neighbors)
Super Mario Brothers- All of them
And right now I am liking UFC 2009: Undisputed

I love ZAMN :D

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
My favorite Unreal Tournament version is the oooooold one (I can't even remember the year) :)

As for my favorite game ... well I can't choose between S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadows of Chernobyl and F.E.A.R. (the first version).

Guess I like horror FPS games with atmosphere :)