New forums

dontbeajew

Reaction score
I've just installed forums on my new website and I'm having trouble getting people to join.
Anyone have any ideas on how to get people to join?

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
One word: content.
You need some frequently updated content that will drive repeated visits to your sites. Use of keywords will get you up in Google's ranking, but you need to have something that will make users want to keep coming back for more.

dontbeajew

Reaction score
One word: content.
You need some frequently updated content that will drive repeated visits to your sites. Use of keywords will get you up in Google's ranking, but you need to have something that will make users want to keep coming back for more.

you're right content has a lot to do with it, but if you don't have users you could have all the content in the world and it still wouldn't make a difference.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
It is a sort of feedback loop, the more users you have the more content you can provide; the more content you then provide the more users will be attracted to the forums. It'll always be slow at the beginning and you just have to be patient, it's not going to happen overnight.

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I also have this problem with my tutorial site... It is user-generated but I have to send in all tutorials or pay for them because few people do xD. Same with the forums...

xkadir

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to have it filthy and advertise the site.

By filthy I mean that it needs good and usefull content.
By advertising I mean that you should advertise it in some big forums, but not spam the link. You could perhaps have the link in your signature, or have an image-link in your signature etc.

priyaa161

Reaction score
filthy........?????? You mean every post and thread in his forum should to be created by him alone. then it will be filthy forum.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Advertising!!! When will you people learn LOL! :) :) :)

dontbeajew

Reaction score
My suggestion would be to have it filthy and advertise the site.

By filthy I mean that it needs good and usefull content.
By advertising I mean that you should advertise it in some big forums, but not spam the link. You could perhaps have the link in your signature, or have an image-link in your signature etc.

I've already tried going to a big forum and advertising, they deleted my post and banned me on the spot for spam/advertisement

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
That's probably because you just outright posted your URL and said go here, in which case their actions are completely justified.
Perhaps you could find some other web design sites that have a review my site page like we do here and submit it there. Alternatively, find forums relevant to your topic, put your URL in your signature and just start posting in threads; people who are interested will see the link and follow it.

dontbeajew

Reaction score
That's probably because you just outright posted your URL and said go here, in which case their actions are completely justified.
Perhaps you could find some other web design sites that have a review my site page like we do here and submit it there. Alternatively, find forums relevant to your topic, put your URL in your signature and just start posting in threads; people who are interested will see the link and follow it.

not true, I merely said that I was starting a new forum and asked for a little bit of help getting it started, and then they banned me. I have been trying your second option, to a degree, but it has not helped very much.

priyaa161

Reaction score
not true, I merely said that I was starting a new forum and asked for a little bit of help getting it started, and then they banned me. I have been trying your second option, to a degree, but it has not helped very much.

It may be because they see You as a competitor. Or moderator had a similar forum :rofl:

Last edited:

priyaa161

Reaction score
There is one ad flashing here on x10hosting. It is of one very new forum. They too don't have much members and post but they are doing good with advertisement. And I'm sure they will get large number of members very soon.

here is the link, if you wanna see.

www.seocommunity.in

You should also do something like that.