noobie questions

ben.arundel28

Reaction score
Hi

Im realy interested in VPS and have been doing alot of research on getting one and since i have free hosting with x10 i noticed you do VPS ;)

questions are with the cPanel\WHM option

what exactly does this give you extra "obvisly it gives you cpanel" but what sort of extra things does it give you from the free hosting cpanel for example, can anyone post me a screenshot of thairs so i can see what it looks like?

im a complete noob when it comes to apache and linux But i work for a company that hosts sites and i know IIS / SQL well so im confidant i can pick this up but with the cpanel option would i have to install it?

Whats WHM?

Can i host teamspeak and vbulliten?

sorry if these are stupid questions i just want to make an informed decision

cheers 8)

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
WHM is cPanel's backend, Web Host Manager.

I'd honestly just recommend getting familiar with apache/mysql/linux command line, and go from there. cPanel isn't really necessary unless you plan to offer hosting to others, and even then, if they know how to use FTP and ssh, cPanel shouldn't be needed...

You can host teamspeak (it's a standalone server), but for vBulletin, if you have a legal version, you have to install mySQL, Apache, and PHP. (This can be simply done using LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP)

ben.arundel28

Reaction score
thanks for that leafy, would i be allowed to offer hsoting?

yeh i undersntad that you need a legal version of vb

is lamp easy enough to understand on install?

if lamp was installed the only thing i would need to mess with would me SQL? or would i have to configure apache, php for my sites

what would you use to manage domain names?

sorry for the questions i know there is no support from x10 so i hope its ok to ask these sorts of questions

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks for that leafy, would i be allowed to offer hsoting?

yeh i undersntad that you need a legal version of vb

is lamp easy enough to understand on install?

if lamp was installed the only thing i would need to mess with would me SQL? or would i have to configure apache, php for my sites

what would you use to manage domain names?

sorry for the questions i know there is no support from x10 so i hope its ok to ask these sorts of questions

I'm not sure about offering hosting, that was an offhanded comment. I'll check the TOS. Lamp is very easy to understand and install. I believe, depending on your Linux distribution, that you can actually just install everything you need in one package, but on some distros you must manually install all the files, but there's tutorials for that.

Depending on how many sites you have, you shouldn't have to mess with Apache/PHP configuration too much unless you need to alter settings and stuff. Once you get into two or more sites, you get into virtualhosts, and to be honest, they're confusing. :p I don't know of any software that effectively manages multiple sites with apache better than cPanel. I know that WebMin offers *some* functionality for that, but in my experience, it just ends up messing stuff up and not working correctly. Someone else might have a better idea about this.

Don't worry about asking the questions. It's what we're here for.

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know of any software that effectively manages multiple sites with apache better than cPanel. I know that WebMin offers *some* functionality for that, but in my experience, it just ends up messing stuff up and not working correctly. Someone else might have a better idea about this.
I am using a combination of Webmin and the Webmin add-on Virtualmin to manage multiple domains on my VPS with no difficulties, but they are all my own domains and I am not offering, (and don't intend to start offering), web hosting services. Webmin / Virtualmin is not well suited for web hosting services.

Don't worry about asking the questions. It's what we're here for.
Ditto. We like helping folks.

ben.arundel28

Reaction score
thanks both of you, i dont intend on offering hosting at the moment but i do want to have more than one site,

i will definitly get a vps on monday when i get payed,

where did you get Lamp from i want to do all the research i can before i get the vps

looking into in Lamp is best on centOS ? isnt this the os that the vps comes with, would i have to install that to?

does the DNS need a seperate program to manage?

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
After you purchase your VPS you will be given access to a VPS Control Panel which will give you basic information and controls for your VPS. One of the options available in the VPS Control Panel, (and the very first thing you will need to do), is install your OS. This will be the "Linux" part of your setup. You will have several choices and just about everybody has an opinion about which OS is best. I use Centos and have found it very easy to work with, but that is just my own experience and opinion. You can install the other services using console or command line if you wish. Since you do not intend to offer web hosting you may want to seriously consider installing Webmin and Virtualmin after your OS is setup as those programs will install and take care of basic configuration for most of the services you need to get your VPS running. If I remember correctly some services like PHP and BIND DNS have to be installed after the Webmin installation, but this is not very difficult to do.

Lot's of good information about all of this is available on the Internet and, as we said before, we are very happy to answer questions or help out in any way possible in the forum.

ben.arundel28

Reaction score
cheers carl

what version of centos are you using? i can use my vm and have a look at it but need to know what version it is,

for Webmin and Virtualmin i can just download and install that direct from the vps?

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
I am currently running Centos 5.0. That probably is not the latest version because I have not checked for updates lately. It has been awhile since I set up my VPS but I think there may be options for different versions of OS, (including Centos), when you install your OS through the VPS control panel. Your will likely want to select the most up to date version available. If you decide to install Webmin / Virtualmin go to the Webmin Website and read over all the documentation there. There are some specific installation instructions available for the operating system you are using on your VPS. Install Webmin first and get it running properly first. Virtualmin is an add-on for Webmin that you can install and setup after you get Webmin running.

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Hey ben.arundel28,

After reading this and it seems you've done some research i regret to inform you web-hosting services are not permitted on VPS's as per the terms of service.

Although, if you are looking to run web-hosting services we offer a great range of reseller plans. If you have any questions about these plans you can contact me via PM, on IRC (live chat) or reply here.

The link to resellers is: http://x10premium.com/resellers.php

Regards,
Jarryd

Jarryd

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Sorry, let me correct myself. The ToS states this:

x10Hosting does not allow the use of it's services for illegal activities. This includes hosting of copyrighted material, nulled scripts, or anything that is considered illegal under US law. A suspension leading up to termination will be imposed for a breach of these terms. While we strive to accommodate all types of customers your VPS may not be used for the following:

* Bittorrent Trackers
* Sending of unsolicited Email (SPAM)
* Anything related to a botnet
* Downloading Torrents
* Hosting of illegal or copyrighted files
* Free Hosting Companies
* IRC Services

What i was referring to was free-hosting companies. I assume running web-hosting like paid wouldn't be an issue. Not 100% sure though.

ben.arundel28

Reaction score
thanks carl im going to look at centos 5 on a vm now and see what its like, i will install webmin (or try to) and see whats that like also

thanks Hellsheep for that information, i dont intend on selling hosting in the first instance but it is something that i would look to in the future if allowed, if not on VPS would it be easy to transfer my site over?

How does you domain work on VPS? do you get your own nameserver or IP? could this be managed in webmin carl?

why would one have an SSL

unrelated question whats a botnet?

thanks all i realy appreciate your help

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
You will get one dedicated IP with your VPS. You have the option to purchase more for a very small monthly charge if you wish. Some folks register their own private nameservers - you will want to do some research on the positive and negatives about that and then decide. You can manage your own nameservers with BIND and Webmin or use a third party service to do this for you. SSL is used for establishing secure encrypted connections between your VPS and visitors. Example, if you are exchanging confidential information with visitors, such as operating an online store, you would want to use SSL for that purpose.

Botnet
A Botnet is a collection of software agents, or robots, that run autonomously and automatically. The term is most commonly associated with malicious software, but it can also refer to a network of computers using distributed computing software

ben.arundel28

Reaction score
cheers carl, would botnet include forum bots like google bot etc?

when you get the vps and chose your os will it install it as a gui or will it be a dos window like my vm is at the moment :redface:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
would botnet include forum bots like google bot etc?
I really don't know a lot about botnet other than the basic definition but somebody else will likely come along soon and explain this better.

when you get the vps and chose your os will it install it as a gui or will it be a dos window like my vm is at the moment
If memory serves me correctly OS installation is an automated process. You select your OS and then just sit back and enjoy some coffee for a minute or two while the magic happens.

Do you find it difficult to use your computer while under the desk?

Regards,
Carl

ben.arundel28

Reaction score
that would be great hate dos

its just those types of bots come with forums etc see,

ive got a good setup under here carl ;)

can i access the vps over IE or would i need remote desktop or something like that?

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
can i access the vps over IE or would i need remote desktop or something like that?
You will be able to access and manage your VPS using any common web browser.

Derek

Community Support Force
Community Support
Reaction score
Here is some info from when VPSes first started, posted by corey

Hi,

Thanks for all the interest, here are some clarifications.

You will have access to HyperVM which lets you reformat your VPS at anytime back to the base OS. So if you really mess something up software wise you can login and reset it. It also gives you some access to other controls for your VPS like rebooting it if it hangs.

Regarding cPanel. cPanel created a special low memory usage VPS version that only uses 96MB of Mem. (http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpvps/). This CAN be used with your VPS but is not free. It would cost $12\mo extra for the WHM\cPanel license through us. You are of course welcome to get the license somewhere else.

If you choose not to go with cPanel we can offer you another control panel free of charge (lxadmin). Screen shots and information on it can be found here: http://lxlabs.com/software/lxadmin/screen/

Burstable Memory VS Dedicated Memory.
--You are allocated a certain amount of memory that is guaranteed to be there. If the system has free memory you are allowed to go over the guaranteed amount to your burstable limit. Sometimes when you're installing something or the server is under heavy load you need extra memory allotment for a short period. This gives you the extra memory but does not cost extra.

Multiple Accounts
Multiple account restrictions are ONLY for free accounts. You can have 5 paid accounts and 1 free account, or 5 VPSs 5 Paid Hosting accounts and 1 free account ;)

-Corey
-Corey

A botnet is where someone hosts an irc or something with a whole bunch of "bots" which are actual user computers which have been affected by that users bait.. A botnet basically is like an army of computers, if you tell them to visit a site all of them will go there leading to a crashing of a site etc... I won't go into much further detail..

Last edited:

ben.arundel28

Reaction score
Hi

set up all seems to be going ok big shout out to Hellsheep for already helping me out loads

I have an issue using phpbb3 and automod anyone used this?

when installing a mod it seems to go though ok, but it doesnt extract the zip file and place it where it has to be where as it used to do this on my free hosting ive checked to folder permisssions and all are ok but unsure of what else to check,

Last edited: