Oh, why my CPU usage is going so high

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have switched on my desktop after a long time and I was surprised to see that my CPU usage is going so high. For the same program running both in my desktop and my laptop, my desktop CPU usage moves higher that 80% whereas my laptop CPU usage remains less than 10% (mostly 2-3%).
I'm running windows vista ultimate in my laptop and windows xp professional service pack 2 in my desktop. Is my CPU is in critical condition?

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Is the CPU clock speed running at it's native clock speed or has it downclocked itself? Open up CPU-Z and take a screenshot of the main window.

http://www.cpuid.com/

Also, take note of what processes are using the CPU and let me know what exactly is using the most CPU in terms of time. A screenshot of the complete task manager after the PC is on for a while would be nice.

Last edited:

fahad21

Reaction score
As referred by Microsoft, if your CPU usage is very high even when you are not doing anything on your computer, then the most probable reason is the vrus. Because viruses take up a lot of CPU resources and puts up a payload on the computer.

So, I strongly recommend you to install,update, scan your computer with a powerful Antivirus. If you don't have one, please go to download.com and search for Avira Anti Virus. Its Free and it does work fine!

Thanks

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
CPUZ screenshot

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 153

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
I hope you're not referring to CPUZ in order to establish CPU usage...
What's using the most in the windows task manager 'process' tab? (Besides 'System Idle Process')

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Avast and Firefox are in between 10-20, task manager 5-10 and system ideal process 6-20, explorer 3-10 and system 1-5. These are the only process which I have noted down in 5 minutes continuous observation. Except all these process all are showing 00

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Use Process Explorer to see exactly what process and thread uses the most CPU. You can download it form Microsoft TechNet here.

timothy1238

Reaction score
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL and then go to TASK MANAGER. Select PROCESSES and under MEMORY, check
who is using the most memory. End that process

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The process using most memory is firefox and DAP and system processes, so I can't end it. Actually I'm not lacking in memory, I'm lacking in CPU
Edit:
using Process Explorer (suggested by leviathon) I came to know that only two processes are consuming my lot of CPU they are system idle process and Firefox. Is there anyway to optimize them.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
System Idle Process will show as using CPU time when the system is idle, when in reality it is not. If Firefox is using up a lot of memory, look around for any add-ons that might be known CPU hoggers. If you have ads on the page, there might be some CPU heavy ads loading up via Flash. Otherwise if Firefox is the only thing Process Explorer shows as using up the most of the CPU time, it's either add-ons causing it or something in the page itself.

gamepro127

Reaction score
You could try to reboot, that may help.
Do a scan with Kaspersky Internet Security 2010

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Reboot can't help. Its the everyday problem. I have a newly installed OS. The only wrong i did was to delete my hard disk partition without formatting it. There was virus in my computer when i deleted that partition but now my antivirus is not detecting any virus.

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
System idle process shows you how much CPU and memory you have left. It's not an actual process so your problem is in Firefox. Try to re-install it or use ProcessExplorer to see what thread is using the most CPU by double clicking on the process and looking at "Threads" tab. That way you can find probably find what add-on or driver is using your CPU. On the other hand, you can reinstall it and install your add-ons one by one and see witch one is cosing the problem. Or you can change your main browser to Opera :)

buyphiten

Reaction score
I think is a bug in FF. im not sure too.
but starting from last week, im also getting high cpu resource.
i checked and its firefox at top of the list.
i switched to chrome thereafter, and no more problem.

anybody can confirm this?

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have formatted my whole hard disk but the problem is still there. I've only one plug in that is of DAP for video download from You tube. Is that may affect. My CPU temperature is going very high, 91 degree Celsius. I've replaced my old RAM with a new one. Now I've filled my two blocks with two RAM from two different vendors, Do you think that this may be a reason for that problem

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
@rthfashion, which problem, high cpu usage or high cpu temperature.

Jesse

Reaction score
Uhmm, how about maybe your computer's CPU is not going beyond the normal temperature,
therefore causing a high CPU usage?

You might probably check out your CPU Fans.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
FF or any other software shouldn't overheat your processor to 92C. That's way to hot for even old overclocked CPU-s. Overheating CPU is a hardware problem and high CPU usage is a software one. You said that high CPU usage comes from FF, then forget FF. Use another browser for crying out loud.

The if overheating continues, consider cleaning your CPU fan, applying new thermal paste or even buy a better cooler for your CPU. Then again, it might be your CPU malfunction that creates that much heat. Please, do tell us what CPU you have?

Jesse

Reaction score
I agree with leviathon.
Before I was having a slow PC, due to the cpu is overheating. All i did was to buy a new cpu fan, and prob a thermal paste, and used it. That fixed it.