Oh, why my CPU usage is going so high

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know about CPU but I have Asus P5PE- VM motherboard and Intel Pentium D processor.

batman1

Reaction score
It is windows bug. Has someting to do with windows update and the svchost file. It only lasts until windows update is finished.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Help me, I've taken out my heatsink and cleaned it (i have not removed its thermal paste) and installed it. But now my pc is not starting (it is getting off after 4 - 5 sec)

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
Help me, I've taken out my heatsink and cleaned it (i have not removed its thermal paste) and installed it. But now my pc is not starting (it is getting off after 4 - 5 sec)

From the veyr little experience I have with this, it -sounds- like your heatsink is no longer making a good thermal connection with the cpu and it's actually flash-overheating and shutting down before it ever gets going.

Most motherboards will shut the entire pc down instantly if the cpu hits a threshhold such as 60, 70, or 80 degrees celcius. Without a good heatsink connection, the cpu will hit that extremely quickly and trip the motherboard to shut it down.

I'd wait for confirmation from someone with more experience than me though, just to be sure. From what I understand though, you're supposed to remove the thermal paste and re-apply new paste because if you just re-use the old stuff, you might get an air pocket between the sink and the cpu, which is the same as if the sink wasn't even attached at all.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
It is windows bug. Has someting to do with windows update and the svchost file. It only lasts until windows update is finished.

That's a Windows 2000 and Windows XP bug for people using Microsoft Update mainly which they patched months ago. There is a patch on the Microsoft website if the OP thinks that Windows Update is the problem. I've had to patch a few PCs which had their 2Ghz AMD Sempron Processors get choked for 5 minutes at a time.

That can be for a number of reasons. Everyone here seems to be saying it's due to overheating. In that case, definitely check the heat sink to make sure it's secure and I hope you applied some decent paste properly (the way you'd apply Arctic Silver or IC Diamond or for that matter, any paste). Also if the processor came out with pulling the heat sink, I'd definitely check your pins as well to make sure nothing is bent or missing. There are processor pin diagrams on the Internet which show what each pin is made for. Each processor will typically have a few unused pins. So really, double check your work and make sure it's left clean and secure.

I've seen the bent pin thing happen a lot. A good example is someone who came to me asking me to see why their new motherboard wasn't POSTing (they replaced it themselves since the one I bought for them had the Northbridge cook on it). First thing I checked was the heat sink and CPU assembly and saw bent pins. They didn't even notice their CPU was glued to the heat sink (thermal paste they gave me to use turned into glue) when they took the heat sink out as well as put it in which was why those pins were bent. Using a mechanical pencil to bend the pins back and putting the processor in properly fixed it right up :) . I had fixed that machine before (had to replace the motherboard, those Dell OptiPlex GX280s are terrible for fried capacitors/components on the motherboard) and I know I didn't bend any pins since the PC was able to boot just fine when I replaced the motherboard initially and I inserted it properly too.

Last edited:

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Now my pc is starting but now one new problem is there. Every time i start my computer i got message "CMOS Setting wrong. Press f1 to run setup and f2 to load default and continue" and when i run setup i find my time and date resetted and also it is taking time to show hardware monitor section. Computer is lacking both speed and stability.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
That's a very good answer and i'm going to do the same but before it i have to fix all problems so that i can recover my 50%