On going transfer and updates

pchelpworld

Reaction score
What connection speed are you using? Well, what data transfer rate? and how much % is complete now? One last Q. are you up day and night while the transfer is ongoing? do you have to monitor it 24/7? Thanks for this and i hope it goes smoothly and faster than anticipated.

careerbridge

Reaction score
If you say 25% of the process has been completed.... is that mean 1/4th of the sites started working from the new server??

pchelpworld

Reaction score
I was thinking that or is there some server files being copied such as the SQL which isn't working at the moment?

dmath1n

Reaction score
Its agony waiting for the servers to complete...I Want My Umm Mysql lol...:rant2: J/K I Can wait.
About the other posts? do 1/4 complete mean 25% can operate fine? thx :p
BTW hello Arucard.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Sites will start working as they are transferred over. We monitor it as much as we can but we do have lives outside x10 so we're not watching it 24/7.

The reason it takes so long is that it packages up the account tar\gzip into parts it then sends the parts over to the new server unpackages them, sets the account backup then removes the parts. Then it moves on to the next, it really has nothing to do with the connection speed.

-Corey

swirly

Reaction score
Corey, if you dont make money off this, then what exactly do you do for a living?

DryIce

Reaction score
But seriously, how long is this going to take? Everything in my account except for FTP access is down. I can't even get into Cpanel to make MySQL backups in case this transfer gets all f-ed up.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
swirly said:
Corey, if you dont make money off this, then what exactly do you do for a living?

I'm an engineer at an electronics company.

-Corey

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
DryIce said:
But seriously, how long is this going to take? Everything in my account except for FTP access is down. I can't even get into Cpanel to make MySQL backups in case this transfer gets all f-ed up.

Like I said, we don't have an ETA because of it locking up and because I have no idea and can't even guess how long it will take to tar\gzip a bunch of accounts and transfer them. They're all different sizes so I can't take a guess on it.

When your account is transferred it leaves a copy on the server still so if your files do somehow get messed up from the transfer we have the originals still.

-Corey

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
I see, thats good to hear. So your an engineer, thats a cool job...Depending on what you are working on....So, how much disk space is this new account going to have? I also read you can get upgrades, like ftp, ram, etc. So thats pretty cool, is that the reson your moving? Is the new one a better deal?

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a better deal, we're starting off with 2 gigs of memroy and 500 Gigs disk space; It's much easier to upgrade and cheaper with the new company.

-Corey

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
Cool! Thats good to hear, I just bought you a champagne, but messed up, Hover over it and you will notice how...:(

pchelpworld

Reaction score
That is great news, so all you do is buy some hosting and then when a user signs up, it creates a sub domain and all the default files. So you don't have your own server then? does that mean that yor working from home then. If x10hosting gets too big will you eventually have to get your own server or would that take too much time and money.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
pchelpworld said:
That is great news, so all you do is buy some hosting and then when a user signs up, it creates a sub domain and all the default files. So you don't have your own server then? does that mean that yor working from home then. If x10hosting gets too big will you eventually have to get your own server or would that take too much time and money.

We lease our servers at known datacenters. Like ThePlanet and now LayeredTech. We have 100% control of the servers that we use, we do not use resellers or share them.

As x10 grows and I feel we need upgrades\servers they'll be added as needed.

-Corey

PSP-Heaven

Reaction score
I always thought you owned your own server computers....Those things are LOUD! When its on, the fans, which i think it has like four of them, spin continuesly, even if the computer is on, its crazy! >.<

OoC_Wolf

Reaction score
Once an account is moved, will there still be downtime for that account? Or is it basically serverwide until it's over?

Wolf.