OS choiches

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not had a lot to do with BSD, but am a big fan of the Puppy linux distro.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Never tried BSD but I am a fan of Linux :)

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I like Windows.

>:I

Lol. I too like Windows, as well as Linux. I think ever operating system is good (I've never tried Mac)... YOu can do pretty much the same thing on all of them.

lance4681

Reaction score
I dont like Mac but I use windows vista home Premium and xbuntu and and ubuntu netbook remix

monkey97

Reaction score
Not had a lot to do with BSD, but am a big fan of the Puppy linux distro.
Love Puppy, myself. I run it on my toshiba satellite 1400 with 1.33ghz and 111mb ram + my 233mhz pentium MMX and 64mb ram
Dont bother with 4.30. It wont shut down from the menu. Also, I have tried netbsd, and the mouse will not work.
As you all can probably tell from my sig, im not a windows fan

Monkey

Last edited:

mstring

Reaction score
They all have their own merits imo, like *nix servers and DirectX on Windows, though I've yet to actually try any Mac OS.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm underwhelmed by MacOS. If they're going to charge me twice as much for a Mac then a PC, MacOS damn well better cook me breakfast every morning and make the bed when I leave for work. And this whole "Macs can't get virused" and "Windows PCs have to update for hours out of the box" thing annoys me as well. Firstly, no one wants to write a virus for a Mac. Viruses are written to make money. You aren't going to make money by infecting 1 Mac. It's like writing a virus for HP-UX. No serious hacker would waste his time. Secondly, why is it bad to have an updated OS? And if it really annoys you that Microsoft fixes the bugs in their operating system, I've got a copy of Windows 98 OEM you can use :D

I use Ubuntu Linux, by the way. I just happen to like PCs more than Macs :biggrin:

Last edited:

ah-blabla

Reaction score
The problem with windows isn't that the updates take a long time (they do), but that it needs to restart after an update. The last time I restarted my GNU/Linux laptop was... errm... I can't actually remember, so long ago I did that.

Oh, just so that you all know, modern macs run on an OS based on BSD.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd say Ubuntu asks me to restart once a month or so. I'm sure I could figure out some way around it (by restarting just one service) but seriously, it takes like 35 seconds to do as opposed to doing 30 minutes of research into what service needs the restart, how to restart it, what other programs depend on that service, what I have to do to restart them, etc etc etc.

I think it's also interesting to know that Windows started off as another *nix type offspring. Read the wikipedia article on Windows some time. Very interesting.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
I think it's also interesting to know that Windows started off as another *nix type offspring. Read the wikipedia article on Windows some time. Very interesting.
Windows and *Nix? I don't know where you read that, but the Wikipedia article mentions *Nix twice, and that in relation to how different the architectures are (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows#cite_ref-21) as well as emulation. Windows was actually started as a competitor to Mac, in the days before Mac was *Nix.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
It's hard to find.

Among pre-IBM-PC products were the software package TASC (The AppleSoft Compiler), which compiled a BASIC program into Apple machine language, and the hardware Microsoft Softcard, an add-on Z80 processor card for the Apple II and compatible computers which allowed the use of the CP/M operating system instead of Applesoft and Apple DOS. In 1980, Microsoft entered the operating system business with its own version of Unix, called Xenix, which it licensed to various computer vendors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft

distantos

Reaction score
I would choose Linux. You can do literally ANYTHING on Linux. Even running windows programs (using WINE).

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
WINE has many many limitations. For example, Diablo II (a computer game from the early 2000's) will run 50+ FPS on Windows, but using WINE and Ubuntu, it runs 5 - 30 FPS. It's only an emulator and suffers thusly.

Mac programs I have no idea. There may be an alien like function, which converts Red Hat .RPM files into Debian .DEB files for taking Mac binaries, but I haven't seen it ever.

ah-blabla

Reaction score

Ok, Microsoft might have had a *Nix, but Windows wasn't developed on that basis, rather, windows was developed from DOS, which was based on 86-DOS. The Xenix system was completely separate to Windows.

GNU-Linux is for Cpanel or hosting company.
And for those who want to have a fast efficient computer without having to spend lots of money on the latest hardware just to keep it working fast. And for those who want to feel a relative safety from viruses and the like. (Viruses are possible, but hardly any exist, and I don't think there are any in the wild. Even if there were many, infection of computers would be difficult.) Being FOSS GNU/Linux has any possible infection routes discovered much earlier than the behemoth that windows is, which could have any number of holes in its code, which we don't know about due to its closed source nature.

Last edited: